PS3/XBOX 360 to Neo Geo Converter

undamned

Pleasure Goal
So, some of you may have heard about my other UD-USB converters, such as the PS3/X360 to screw terminal (JAMMA, etc.):

DSC08617_zpsb8672c2a.jpg

Or the more recent PS3/X360 to DB15:

UD-USB_DB15s_zps750b9368.jpg

But what I want to ask you guys is about a Neo Geo version with the appropriate connector for the deep controller ports with smaller outer dimension than standard DB15. Sourcing these special connectors is a bit of a bear. Sure there are shops here and there that occasionally stock Famicom/NeoGeo extension cords, but they are not cheap (more expensive than any single part that would go into this final product) and they certainly aren't guaranteed to be re-stocked once sold out.

Where I'm at right now is I've found a supply of these cords, but they are only pinned for Neo Geo. What I mean by that is, though my electronics can support 6+ action buttons, these cords would limit it to that of the Neo Geo: 4 buttons.

The ultimate question I have is this: for such a device, are people mostly interested in the Neo Geo functionality or do most people also want to use them on superguns/consolized systems which make use of more than 4 action buttons.

The final product will be fully enclosed and have a nice robust look (I've had a prototype floating around my office for about a year, but since I've yet to locate a reliable/cost effective supply of fully pinned cords, I haven't pursued it any further). Price is to be determined based on the outcome of this whole connector/cord dilemma.

For the sake of thoroughness the following are not options:

- adding wires to the 4 button cables I found
- hand carving connectors to make them fit proper
- paying ~$15+ per cable

-ud

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Said this on SRK, but I'm interested. Need to provide a way for locals to get their windjammers on with their own sticks.

There isn't much of an option beyond tototek extension cables :-\, as far as the deep connectors go.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
would be cool to use my hori ex2 on my neo geo aes.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Can't you have both as an option? If it is wired for supergun and consolized atomiswave, can it work with the Neo? If yes then make it like this.

Last edited:

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Can't you have both as an option? If it is wired for supergun and consolized atomiswave, can it work with the Neo? If yes then make it like this.
If I had a reliable & cheap source for fully pinned Neo cables, this would be ideal, but I don't have either (hence this thread).

Upon much thinking, this is the route I have decided to take:

DSC08858_RESIZE_zps914abd40.jpg

With the DB15 Decoder at $40 and the Neo adapter at $15, it's still a nice compact solution for $55. And having them as separate parts means that people who only want them for their supergun or CMVS save some money.
-ud

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Undamned - your inbox is full! Shoot me a PM, or let me know when it's cleared. :)