Finland - The country where I quite want to be Jan/Feb

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Looks like an awesome meet, good stuff.

Also: Crossed Swords 2 loke test? Legendary.

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
It is pretty awesome having Raz come to these meets :D
Let me see, he soldered the bios socket on my AES, I was present when we tested the SSVS bios fix, and now I was one of the first mortals to play CS2 on an MVS.
I have been blessed by the divine hand of the Unibios :cool: ... Oh, and let me publicly declare I yet again won the Raz/Rock NeoTurfMasters face off! :loco:

TaiDOmi

Mr. Big's Thug
After seeing RR's B&O MX4000 in action, I had to get one myself. This however is its big brother MX6000.

20150203_195912_edit.jpg

I heard from the seller that it has served before in Hotel Kämp's Suite. Who knows what kind of celebrities have been watching the same screen. :thevt:

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Came back home today and what's better than sipping on that ola dub 18 the awesome host of the NEO GEO FINLAND GATHERING gave me as a present and recapture the meeting?
I know there are some folks out there who don't really like reading a lot therefore for you the short version down below - details in Spoilers.

Short Version
It was awesome, there was beer, everyone was having a great time, we had crossed swords 2 mvs on a 4K beamer and 7.3 Sound.

Detailed Version

The Hardware
Spoiler:

RockstarRunners AES and MX4000
Very nice system and Screen to play on.

WP_20150201_002 (Kopie).jpg

Miisalos Sega Naomi universal cab
Very good controls, very nice screen - was a blast to play on.

hardware3.jpg

Ammunition Box CMVS and computer Screens
You might already have seen it in miisalos collection thread - even more impressive in real life.

hardware2.jpg

The movie room
yes - you read right. A fucking movie room. 4K beamer, 7.3 Sound and I even watched a boring bee movie to really see 4K in Action (and some other movie where some old animated guy makes out with a dog Robot... eh... whatever - the Image was great)
Great room to play games - great room to watch movies.

WP_20150201_001 (Kopie).jpg
In case you didn't recognize: that image is not 4K - that was Mendel showing me gangnam style running on his super nintendo.

The Games
Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure I'll look back at the meeting day and start to realize what I have played there and how hard it is to get the stuff to play it again on original hardware - just mentioning a few of the things I saw/played

NG DevTeam games
I think Rob (Rockstar Runner) had them all and even sold the DC versions he no longer needed to folks at the meeting. (forgot who got them) - I only watched these (Mendel playthrough of gunlord in under 30 mins - very close 1cc => 2cc), but each of them seems to have a unique style and nice soundtracks.

Daedalus converter
Didn't know the exact details but this seems to be some hot stuff - looks good (though I was afraid the MVS boards would break when "hanging" there), plays Windjammers nicely.

WP_20150201_002 (Kopie).jpg

Shock Troopers
Everyone loves shock troopers - at one time the full room was playing it.

R-Type Leo
I tried this solo first and then had a playthrough together with Razoola (gladly it was freeplay - we both did not very well). I liked the very simple concept of the game, perhaps sometimes a nice switch from those mechanic heavy shmups.

Batrider
First time I saw this on real Hardware - only for a short time though because the Audio seemed not to Play nice with the supergun and the game was stopped so it wouldn't overheat.

Super Punchout on a 4K beamer (see Images)
Hell yeah - size matters. Mendel managed to beat a few of the Boxers but we took turns and I burned our credits

games1.jpg

Starfox 2
Never seen that before - had some very interesting concepts (turning the plane into a mech to walk inside bases, tactical map, etc.)

Windjammers
Mendel did beat my ass on this one - I think he did let me win once.

Crossed Swords 2 MVS
The sounds are VERY fitting, I would not have guessed they are from a different game (CS1) - also some graphics are enhanced/fixed, I got my turn on playing it, controlled very well - had a good time.

games5.jpg

Capcom vs SNK 2
Played on miisalos cab which has very good controls and that I like a lot.

Bubble Memories
A version where you could charge for giant bubbles - wanted to play it but the kids were on that most of the time and then I forgot

games6.jpg

Obscure puzzle game where some guy has to match colored balls which shoot out between his legs... uhm....
yeah... just like it sounds

There was a Street Fighter CPS2 board there too (I always thought they were smaller when seeing them on pic, those things are fucking huge) - but unfortunately we didn't manage to hook that up to the cab due to button restrictions.

The Food & Beverage

Spoiler:

Miisalo made pulled pork, cole stew, lettuce Sandwiches and Rob made his famous hot onion rings.
After eating both I can say they are not exaggerating when they say they cook well - very tasty stuff.
In addition there was a mixture of Snacks, beer and I was offered a 21y glenlivet by the host which I gladly accepted.

food1.jpgfood2.jpgfood3.jpg

The People
Spoiler:

The participants of the meeting were awesome - really awesome.

The language
All of them were living in finland and whenever I was in the room or a general conversation was going on everyone switched to english at all times. A very kind gesture that made me feel very welcome.

Sharing
Most participants brought their own Hardware and/or games to the meeting. AES games, PCBs, etc. - most of the stuff is worth quite a lot of money. Nevertheless everyone shared their collection with everyone else who was there - you could check out manuals, pick up the games and start them on the cabs etc. (of course everyone was equally eager to handle everything sensitively)

The drinks
While we steadily consumed some beer, whisky, etc. everyone enjoyed the drinks but no one overdid it - again adding to the great atmosphere

Name tags
Couldn't remember who is who at the start - so everyone just attached name tags to their shirts

Props
Miika (Miisalo): Well what can I say. perfect hosting, I've mentioned it once or twice by now
Anne (waifu): for letting us have the meeting in her house and showing my own waifu the nightlife of Helsinki while we had some ng time.
Rob (Rockstar Runner): Delicious Onion Rings, great AES collection - thx for sharing!
Razoola: Would like to hear some details of your work history some time, very impressive job on that CS2 - not so impressive but fun job on our R-Type playthrough ;)
Mendel: The Gunlord! Playthrough in under 30 mins and Windjammers wizard, thx for bringing your modded SNES
Saku: Great PCB carrying system - you should join the forums and show that off in here
TaiDOmi: Hooking Raz up with an AES maglord, also: great Shirt
JP: You should commit to playing the games once, go join the forums!

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Props
BerryTogart - Amazing guy who got the from Austria to take part our fun. Brought bags full of nice stuff here and stayed in the Sauna like any local.
Mrs BerryTogart - Berry's wife, went for iceskating with my 9 years old son and now he adores her

Fixed it.

Oh, and RockstarRunner half owns the cab! He is the man.

Last edited:

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Oh, and RockstarRunner half owns the cab! He is the man.

Having been in the sauna with many of you, I can confirm we are all men ;)

Meet was awesome, thanks to everyone for coming! My pictures coming soon.

Also, Sweet B&O Tomi, now time to get to work on the geometry settings, have fun, at least you only need to do it once :P

Last edited: