Intermittent low volume hiss - MV-1

Zapf

n00b
I've been dealing with various audio issues with my mv-1 motherboard these past few weeks. It started with my first boot of it (with a Windjammers cart) exhibiting audio distortion, as well as a fluctuating volume. I ended up doing an audio recap on it, which resolved the volume issues.

At this point, I had one more cart (161 in 1), and noticed that while I still had audio issues, it was only on the windjammers cart. Further research on the forums led me to more thoroughly clean the cart and my mv-1 slot (brasso on my windjammer and jamma edge, deoxit and an old soft toothbrush on the slot). The audio issues on windjammers went away (I should have noticed weeks ago it was only on certain samples) but now I'll get the occasional low staticy sound, most noticeable when no audio is playing.

It comes and goes, and I'm not sure if it was always there and I had not just ran the mvs long enough to notice. I'm still using mono audio via the jamma edge; do you think this would still be an issue on the stereo speaker or headphone outputs?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Sounds like it might need recapping - could be other caps need doing, not just on audio output. Perhaps noise hitting opamp or something. Check 12v PSU input as well, could be noisy 12v line.

Last edited:

Zapf

n00b
Sounds like it might need recapping - could be other caps need doing, not just on audio output. Perhaps noise hitting opamp or something. Check 12v PSU input as well, could be noisy 12v line.

I'll look into the other caps, though I'm not sure I have the tools / expertise to check for noise on the psu (sega astro city psu, the 01Y i think?). I've not noticed this issue on my other boards (st-v, kaneko, cps2, a salamander 2)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I've been dealing with various audio issues with my mv-1 motherboard these past few weeks. It started with my first boot of it (with a Windjammers cart) exhibiting audio distortion, as well as a fluctuating volume. I ended up doing an audio recap on it, which resolved the volume issues.

At this point, I had one more cart (161 in 1), and noticed that while I still had audio issues, it was only on the windjammers cart. Further research on the forums led me to more thoroughly clean the cart and my mv-1 slot (brasso on my windjammer and jamma edge, deoxit and an old soft toothbrush on the slot). The audio issues on windjammers went away (I should have noticed weeks ago it was only on certain samples) but now I'll get the occasional low staticy sound, most noticeable when no audio is playing.

It comes and goes, and I'm not sure if it was always there and I had not just ran the mvs long enough to notice. I'm still using mono audio via the jamma edge; do you think this would still be an issue on the stereo speaker or headphone outputs?

Make sure your audio wires arnt running next to any power sources and power wires. It sounds like your experiencing interference.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
CAPS. I have one with identical to your problem. The problem will gradually worsen.
BB

BadMojo12

n00b
I am experiencing a similar issue with my MVS-4; I got a great deal but it had no audio; I did the homework, got a cap kit and recapped (30 caps, every one of them a B__H!); now I have sound but a couple of weird issues: First, my volume slider only goes from low to speaker blowing high (all the way down is adequate volume and even half way is too much); some of my games work ok (FF2 and AOF) but if I play Samsho2, the sound is static for only certain FX sounds, like the fighters hitting the ground, then eventually the audio quits; if I then try to switch to FF2 (which has worked solid) the audio won't kick back on. World Heroes has similar problem where I just get a low screech and then later nothing. Any ideas would be very helpful.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Might sound stupid, but flip the stereo/mono switch a few times times to clean the slider, and clean the stereo/headphone volume slider with rubbing alcohol (just put some rubbing alcohol on a q tip, put it on the slider, and slide it left and right all the way a few times).

Sound cutting out on certain things could be clipping. Neo geo seems to clip real easy, and it is one of the reasons I have to turn down my slider to like 40%. I then adjust the volume from my receiver.

Last edited: