2014 Halloween Horror Movie Season

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Phantasm III does take the series in a very dark comedy type direction. Still like it, as it's pretty wacky, good to watch for chuckles.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on Halloween III. As a kid, I thought it was lame because it had nothing to do with Michael Myers. In fact the movie is supposed to take place in the "real" universe, as you can see commercials for the original "Halloween".

Anyways, I like the movie as the idea is pretty funny, camp galore. The music is pretty good shit, pretty sure Carpenter did it. If this movie wasn't labeled a "Halloween" movie, then I am sure it would be a Halloween classic, kinda like Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is to Christmas.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Watched this about a week ago:

There were parts where the narration had me in hysterics.
Best of luck if you plan on tackling this one. Maybe the worst movie ever made.

Also a few days ago I caught "Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh" and I can't believe I've never heard of this horror comedy before.
Recommended.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
HENRY! Oh man, that's a grim movie. Another thing - what's your thoughts regarding any sort of narrative in Kill List?

You're not wrong. Both Henry and Kill list are cold and unrelenting!

In terms of a narrative to Kill List, it is all sort of circumstantial. Definitely a cult is involved from the start.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I found it hard to find clues regarding the cult earlier in the film during a second viewing. The girl drawing the symbol behind the mirror... why did she do that and what does it mean? There is some suggestion that some or all might be a dream to me. He is told to 'wake up' a couple of times, and the speech to the main character sometimes is a little too deep or suggestive of something else going on. Also, a lot can be allegorical and contemplative about 'killing' in general, perhaps due to post-traumatic stress. From this angle, a lot of the dialog can be 'breaking the 4th wall' to the audience as a sort of commentary or food for thought.

That's about all I've got really. If you have anything else at all you can share I would love to discuss it further - PM if you want since we're the only two people that probably watched this on the board!

PS - If you like these types of movies I would strongly suggest "Berberian Sound Studio" for another mindfuck

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Since it's Halloween soon I decided to watch the director's cut of Cannibal Holocaust for the first time. Maybe I'm just desensitized, but most of the human murders were pretty cheesy. Though a couple of the animal killings they did on screen were pretty brutal. That shit certainly wouldn't fly nowadays that's for sure.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Netflix wise
Candyman
The Blair Witch Project
V/H/S 1 & 2 ( if you haven't seen them please do!)
Grave Encounter 1 ..... maybe 2

Bluray
The Conjuring
Insidious 1 & 2
The Strangers and "You're Next!" are still great! (Thanks for mentioning them JRO)
Sinister :glee::drool:

I'm gonna get my ass chewed up but I loved the first "Paranormal Activity"

Sinister is creepy as shit. First time I watched that movie I went to sleep with the light on.

It's the usual for me. Can't have a Halloween without the Exorcist or The Shining. I thought Silent Night Deadly Knight was creepy when I was a kid. I think I'll save that one for Christmas though.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Today I watched these all for the first time:

The last exorcism
Who can kill a child?
The conjuring
Drag me to hell
Friday the 13th

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Recently watched V/H/S 1 and 2. A lot of left-field stuff that you dont see come out of horror movies too often these days. Plus, I'm a fan of anthology-style stuff.

The "Commune" story in the second movie really disturbed me, which was great.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Recently watched V/H/S 1 and 2. A lot of left-field stuff that you dont see come out of horror movies too often these days. Plus, I'm a fan of anthology-style stuff.

The "Commune" story in the second movie really disturbed me, which was great.

I recently saw Body Bags for the first time. I thought it was one of the better horror anthology films I've ever seen. I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't seen it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Classic Italo "Giallo".

Spanish :p

I've been dying to see it for years but couldn't find it because I thought it was called "Who COULD Kill a Child". The Rotten Tomatoes Show used to have a segment where a director would list his top 5 favorite movies. I forget which director it was, but he mentioned it and I had been looking ever since. It's not an amazing movie, but it's pretty good, especially since it pre-dates Children of the Corn by 8 years.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Spanish :p

I've been dying to see it for years but couldn't find it because I thought it was called "Who COULD Kill a Child". The Rotten Tomatoes Show used to have a segment where a director would list his top 5 favorite movies. I forget which director it was, but he mentioned it and I had been looking ever since. It's not an amazing movie, but it's pretty good, especially since it pre-dates Children of the Corn by 8 years.

My mistake, I haven't seen it since the Dark Sky Films DVD release, but I remember enjoying it. It was one of those forgotten films before Dark Sky picked it up.

I found it hard to find clues regarding the cult earlier in the film during a second viewing. The girl drawing the symbol behind the mirror... why did she do that and what does it mean? There is some suggestion that some or all might be a dream to me. He is told to 'wake up' a couple of times, and the speech to the main character sometimes is a little too deep or suggestive of something else going on. Also, a lot can be allegorical and contemplative about 'killing' in general, perhaps due to post-traumatic stress. From this angle, a lot of the dialog can be 'breaking the 4th wall' to the audience as a sort of commentary or food for thought.

That's about all I've got really. If you have anything else at all you can share I would love to discuss it further - PM if you want since we're the only two people that probably watched this on the board!

PS - If you like these types of movies I would strongly suggest "Berberian Sound Studio" for another mindfuck

Hey man, that's really interesting, I hadn't thought that it could be some subversive dream. It's a great film, but dark as fuck! I remember feeling quite disturbed while watching it. The violence is unrelenting, too.

I'll check out that out film Berberian Sound Studio.

Also, are you on Cinemageddon? PM me and I'll send you an invite.

edit: trailer for those that haven't seen it...

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I didn't manage to watch anything leading up to Halloween, but found time this evening to check out House of Wax in 3D for the first time. Both the 3D and the film itself have aged amazingly well. It's not a slasher like modern audiences are used to, but great oldschool suspense/horror.