Neo Mike Lives! The 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
He checked back in recently at least. Two posts in about a year and a half is not really living though.

Interesting season to say the least. Last years champions, the Boston Red Sox went from first to nearly worst. They won only one more game than the Houston Astros, a team that lost 111 games in 2013 while the Sox were winning the Series.

Baltimore ends up running away with the AL East.

AL Central stayed interesting late.

Oakland might have a disappointing end to 2014, barely hanging on to a Wild Card spot and down early to the Royals.

The NL East was a runaway for the Nats, although the Braves stayed in the Wild Card mix until a late fade.

Similarly, the NL Central looked poised to send another three teams back to the Postseason like 2013 until the Brewers totally tanked it over the last 30 or so games.

Dodgers have looked good beating up on the NL West, I'll be interested to see how that translates.

Go Pirates!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The god damn Rockies... their lineup was so great this year, but everyone got hurt and the pitching was garbage.

I'm also upset that the Royals made the playoffs. My whole life, no matter how shitty the Rockies were, I could always take solace in the face that the Royals sucked worse. Not anymore.

I'm rooting for the Pirates as well.

Fuck the Giants and Dodgers.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Giants up 2-0 on the Nationals taking both of Washington's home games. Giants finish up at home.

Royals up 2-0 on the Angels taking both of Anaheim's home games. Royals finish at home as well.

Orioles up 2-0 on the Tigers who are pulling their typical postseason collapse a couple rounds early.

Dodgers/Cardinals first game was wild. Second game was great and this is at this point the only series worth watching at 1-1.

Divisional round will be mostly over by Monday.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I thought the Royals had a chance back in July to go to the Series, very happy to see two deserving teams in the ALCS. However, I feel San Fran is a buzzsaw right now and will probably take it all again.

Still pulling for KC.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As a life long KC fan...this has been one for the books. I was only 8 when they won the Wold Series in the 80's...so obviously I watched it but wasn't really aware of everything. I've endured the 90's and supported the throughout the 2000's through some gnarly seasons (records in the .300 realm). I go see them in either St. Louis or in Chicago often...and for years I've been the ass of jokes.

I was excited to see them make the post but this last week has been more than I ever hoped for. The fact tat they're going to the ALCS is something I'm still wrapping my head around. They have a great group of humble, "blue collar ball" players...it's been great so far. I still can't believe they swept the Angels...

Even if they don't get past Baltimore, I still tip my hat to them, its been a great season.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
O's and Giants in the World Series, mark it down. Something about the even years for SF. Nice to see two teams in the ALCS that haven't been there in quite some time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Holy shit...Royals go to Baltimore and take 2 games...I still can't believe this run!!!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
O's and Giants in the World Series, mark it down. Something about the even years for SF. Nice to see two teams in the ALCS that haven't been there in quite some time.

that call is not looking so hot right now.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
With how much parity there was this year in baseball, this win streak by the Royals is pretty incredible. Looking at their season, they only had one win streak longer than their current 6 games in the postseason, and that included three wins against league-worst Arizona. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but this seems really unprecedented. I'll root for the Royals just because of how unlikely this seems.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
With how much parity there was this year in baseball, this win streak by the Royals is pretty incredible. Looking at their season, they only had one win streak longer than their current 6 games in the postseason, and that included three wins against league-worst Arizona. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but this seems really unprecedented. I'll root for the Royals just because of how unlikely this seems.

A hot team in pro sports can do all kinds of crazy things...

It happens from time to time in all pro sports, some underdog team gets hot and goes on a post season tear.

It just doesn't usually happen to the Royals LOL...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
And again with the W!!!! Holy shit…what a run so far! One more W and they are in the Series, I can't believe it!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I've said it once and I'll say it again:

VIVA LOS GIGANTES, BRUJAS!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The O's could definitely use Machado this series. A super plus defender on the corner is very useful against a team that pulls these grounders and runs them out. I imagine my brother's house is screaming at the TV.

Earlier in the playoffs, it was heartbreaking seeing Adam Dunn sit the bench with bases loaded and two outs in the ninth. He never once played in a playoff game, and signed with the A's to do so. He retired after that game.

The Giants' bullpen has been lights out for the past million innings (pick your metric) - except for 6 solo home runs.

No A's*, No Tigers*, No Angels, No Dodgers. Wow.

*7/31/2014 seems like yesterday.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Well, uh, color me wrong on that O's pick. Royals are on fire.

Playing like the '07 Rockies.

Though that didn't end well.

Going to take the Giants over the Royals in the WS (though I'll be rooting for KC, don't get me wrong).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well, uh, color me wrong on that O's pick. Royals are on fire.

Playing like the '07 Rockies.

Though that didn't end well.

Going to take the Giants over the Royals in the WS (though I'll be rooting for KC, don't get me wrong).

The Royals weren't the favorite to win the Wild card...and they did. In the ALDS the Royals were picked to lose against the Angels...and then they went on to sweep them 3-0. In the ALCS the Royals aren't picked to win that either...and are now sitting 3-0.

I'm not a lippy sports fan because I'm too superstitious to do that...and I believe in karma. BUT...if they beat the O's and go to the series, I feel they'll be the team to beat if they stay hot. They've gone 6-0 in six games vs the Angels (.605 season) and the O's (.593 season)...that's no joke.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Going to take the Giants over the Royals in the WS.

the hard thing to do is to count out the cards in the playoffs. they are always in contention.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Neo Mike Lives! The 2014 MLP Postseason Thread

MLP-wallpapers-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-26559314-2560-1600_zps162f3044.png

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Tasuke just stay out of any sports thread, you are out of your element

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
the hard thing to do is to count out the cards in the playoffs. they are always in contention.

Although I'm partial to a Giants series win as I am local, I can't quite get over this unbelievable string of post season success for them over the last 4 years (well, the even years at least). Or dare I say, unbelievable string of good luck. Their wins against the Cards so far in this series are due to throwing errors and/or passed balls, I can see why Card fans would be annoyed.

I mean, every game is a nail biter that could've gone either way... which is why playoff baseball is pretty awesome. But damn... could they go all the way again? Seems so.

Cray.

PS - MT (or fake MT)... just stop. Time for another break, or near-death experience or whatever that made you take a break the first time.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Although I'm partial to a Giants series win as I am local, I can't quite get over this unbelievable string of post season success for them over the last 4 years (well, the even years at least). Or dare I say, unbelievable string of good luck. Their wins against the Cards so far in this series are due to throwing errors and/or passed balls, I can see why Card fans would be annoyed.

I mean, every game is a nail biter that could've gone either way... which is why playoff baseball is pretty awesome. But damn... could they go all the way again? Seems so.

Cray.

its not even just the last 4 years for them. they are historically almost always in it. especially in the last 10 years (6 playoff appearances, 4 NL titles, 2 ws wins).

PS - MT (or fake MT)... just stop. Time for another break, or near-death experience or whatever that made you take a break the first time.

pioneer power cords make rockin' nooses.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
its not even just the last 4 years for them. they are historically almost always in it. especially in the last 10 years (6 playoff appearances, 4 NL titles, 2 ws wins).

Huh? They have 6 straight post season series victories dating back to 2010. Their previous playoff appearance was back in 02 or 03 I think. So yeah, last 4 yrs. :glee:

pioneer power cords make rockin' nooses..

:lolz:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Huh? They have 6 straight post season series victories dating back to 2010. Their previous playoff appearance was back in 02 or 03 I think. So yeah, last 4 yrs. :glee:

i was talking about the cards being the ones you can never count out. it's easy to have a post season series winning streak if you don't show up in the playoffs for a few years between each series.

im just saying the cards are a perennial contender with more post season experience than just about anyone out there now.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
i was talking about the cards being the ones you can never count out. it's easy to have a post season series winning streak if you don't show up in the playoffs for a few years between each series.

im just saying the cards are a perennial contender with more post season experience than just about anyone out there now.

Oh, I was talking Giants the whole time. When you quoted me and said "they" it was a natural assumption you were too. Whatevs.

How far are the Mets away from the playoffs you think? No troll.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Oh, I was talking Giants the whole time. When you quoted me and said "they" it was a natural assumption you were too. Whatevs.

How far are the Mets away from the playoffs you think? No troll.

honestly on the mets? 2 years tops if not barely a wild card next year- provided they fix that SS and LF problem with some high obp bats. Their pitching is super strong. Their rotation is made up of guys that wouldnt be lower than a #3 on nearly every other team out there. if they can get some guys on base, then that puts them over the top. solid farm system- bats are coming up, but its gonna be a minute.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
honestly on the mets? 2 years tops if not barely a wild card next year- provided they fix that SS and LF problem with some high obp bats. Their pitching is super strong. Their rotation is made up of guys that wouldnt be lower than a #3 on nearly every other team out there. if they can get some guys on base, then that puts them over the top. solid farm system- bats are coming up, but its gonna be a minute.

I tend to agree. If the pitching staff can stay healthy, they (the starters at least) will be money. That bullpen is kinda sketch though. Near the bottom of nearly every offensive category too so you're right about the bats. Can't rely on someone like Duda to carry the team. :lolz: Not sure how much Wright has left in the tank, Grandy is gettin' up there in years too. I like Murphy at 2B though. Definitely one of the better MI/2B in the league.