Neo Mike Lives! The 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Royals getting started early...putting up 2 runs so far in the 1st...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I tend to agree. If the pitching staff can stay healthy, they (the starters at least) will be money. That bullpen is kinda sketch though. Near the bottom of nearly every offensive category too so you're right about the bats. Can't rely on someone like Duda to carry the team. :lolz: Not sure how much Wright has left in the tank, Grandy is gettin' up there in years too. I like Murphy at 2B though. Definitely one of the better MI/2B in the league.

heres the thing- the bullpen really came into its own at the end of the season and they get parnell back next year too. It's only going to get stronger. That closing tandem of famillia and meija is just lights out. Duda- is a natural 1b but was always blocked by ike davis. when the mets finally gave him the at bats consistently while he played his natural position (remember- he was forced into rf for most of his career so far), his bat finally came alive. I love murph at 2b- he is a natural 3b and for the past few years he has turned into a league average (defensively) 2b. he is a proper workhorse, and gives it his all for his team, but he will never be a gold glove contender. with a weak ss, he becomes a liability. its sad, because he is a brilliant #2 hitter. if wright can stay healthy, he is still a solid choice at #3 in the lineup.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Huh? They have 6 straight post season series victories dating back to 2010.

just a fun addition: the royals are on an 11 game playoff win streak since 1985.

its hard to call things a full streak when there is multiple years of not making the playoffs in between.

royals make it to the series and stl are up 2-1 in the 3rd. i think the NL one might go all the way to 7 games.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
just a fun addition: the royals are on an 11 game playoff win streak since 1985.

its hard to call things a full streak when there is multiple years of not making the playoffs in between.

There is a fine line between 1 year between playoff appearances and 29 years I think. I hear what you're saying, but still. ;)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...just wow...

Had to teach class tonight so I only got to listed to the game up through the 6th...but holy hell...AL CHAMPS!!!!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Pablo's diving "tip" to Crawford in the 9th may have been an emotional chaleco salvavidas. Exciting series.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
lV8MkX9.gif

9HyqSYL.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Right!? :lolz:

I'm just glad they didn't win on another throwing error or a wild pitch/passed ball. Nice to see the HR ball come out a few times tonight.

dont forget about morse in the clutch too!

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Is this the first time where two Wild Card teams are facing each other in the World Series? :scratch:

Damn shame about the Cardinals. I was really hoping they would win. As it stands now, I'm pulling for KC to take it all even though I tell myself I'm supposed to root for the NL because I live in an NL city. I just cannot and have not ever been able to pull for the Giants. :annoyed:

Edit: I just checked Wiki and 2002 was the first time. :)

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
dont forget about morse in the clutch too!

Yup, def. one of the few I was referring to. He had only 2 AB in the last month or so, been injured off and on all year. To get called off the bench, at that time in the game and to hit a bomb off Neshek who has been otherworldly during the playoffs... yeah, insanely clutch. Your local NY boy Panik with a bomb too.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Is this the first time where two Wild Card teams are facing each other in the World Series? :scratch:

Edit: I just checked Wiki and 2002 was the first time. :)

It's the first time that two teams with less than 90 wins each (in a non-shortened season) have played each other in the WS, though. Crazy how much more parity there is in baseball than, say, the NBA (very predictable playoffs historically).

Still picking the Giants to win, should be a really interesting Series to watch.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
It's the first time that two teams with less than 90 wins each (in a non-shortened season) have played each other in the WS, though. Crazy how much more parity there is in baseball than, say, the NBA (very predictable playoffs historically).

Still picking the Giants to win, should be a really interesting Series to watch.

royals in 6. they are truly the hot team right now. No disrespect for the giants, but the royals are the hungry ones.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I shouldn't be the one bumping this, but I was looking forward to seeing some reactions. Instead, I found the thread buried to page 2. Come on people, the World Series is happening. Let the shit talking and chest thumping commence.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
chest thumping you say? How good were the Royals in game 2? Game 1 was all SF but we hit back hard last night.

Strickland melting down made my night

The series is set up nicely

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought Game 1 may be bad...and it was. You have a seasoned SF that has been there before and a very young KC that hasn't (and most have never made it to the playoffs for that matter). To make things worse, SF started one of the best pitchers in all of MLB. So...they came out right with the haymaker and connected big time.

I knew that the series came down to last night, going to SF down 0-2 was basically a death wish. KC came back last night and showed everyone (once again) how nasty their 7-9 inning bullpen can be.

So...we have a series...and I'm happy. If the Royals don't take it all, so be it, I just want them to put up a fight and show the world they aren't a fluke.

I'm a realistic KC fan...the fact that they are the AL champs alone is more than I ever hoped for figuring how bad they've been for most of my life.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Chest thump. I'll gladly make an ass of myself with poor comments. After all, I thought the A's were going to trade Cespedes for Price. I'd be hanged if I were in charge.

3-0 in first inning of game 1. . . all I could think was "Pull Bumgarner now and put him in game 2". Baseball doesn't work that way, but it's fun to consider.

The fat stat on Hunter Strickland is that he's faced 23 batters in the post season and given up 5 home runs. If you're going to be a Three True Outcomes pitcher, you don't want it to be the third.

People at the bar celebrated when Timmy started warming up, even when they were down 7-2. This neighborhood loves that guy. Boy* was he fun to watch for an inning.

*This use of the word "boy" is okay, Hunter.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
ROYALS!!!

tons of pressure on SF to grab a win in game 4 now.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
SF is stranding leadoff runners like crazy. You could look at it two ways: they are either underperforming, and they'll pick up those runs in future games, or they are getting lucky with the leadoff runners, and the future games will be even harder.

Fun game.

Morse is crushing the ball.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Another Royals win! The road to the championship has go go through KC now!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow…what an ass-whooping!

Well, this series has been like watching two fellas play ping-pong. I don't know what to expect anymore.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Re game 4: My jaw dropped when the Royals purposefully loaded the bases for Pence with one out (and Sandoval up afterwards). That'll net you a big loss. That might go down as a "Yost".

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ouch again…well…if they Royals want to pull this out of a tailspin, they're going to have to pull HARD…

Not very optimistic at this point though...