So I picked up an old Plasma TV...

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So I found a local PDP-401 Plasma TV for cheap and decided to pick it up. However it has a few problems. Namely with the red and blue. I'm going to probably post this on a few forums to see if anyone can help me out heh. It has this weird flickering effect and the colors are sometimes messed up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/naj7evgimvh8as9/20140929_181409.mp4?dl=0

Any ideas?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Does this happen regardless of the input and source used?

Neo Ash

The odd color shit is probably the panel beginning to fail. The flickering could also be related to the panel and/or a board that is on the way out.

Fox1

20 Year Member
The odd color shit is probably the panel beginning to fail. The flickering could also be related to the panel and/or a board that is on the way out.

Hmm, any ideas on what I should do? I don't want to trash this as it's one of the few 4x3 Plasmas hah.

Neo Ash

Hmm, any ideas on what I should do? I don't want to trash this as it's one of the few 4x3 Plasmas hah.

Replacement boards are available online. However, a replacement panel could prove difficult to source. There were just not many 4:3 ratio plasma displays made.

Got a local tech or TV shop? It will need to be bench tested in order to know exactly what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Replacement boards are available online. However, a replacement panel could prove difficult to source. There were just not many 4:3 ratio plasma displays made.

Got a local tech or TV shop? It will need to be bench tested in order to know exactly what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Yeah there's a guy around here. Think I should check him out?

Neo Ash

It might be worth having the guy take a look at it. Just be conservative on what you're willing to spend. The repair cost could quickly exceed what you paid for it.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It's worth getting it checked out. In my opinion, it could be the panel but I doubt the gas is leaking unless there is a crack in the panel somewhere. If TV repair is anything like it is here in the UK all they do is board swap. My guess would be the logic board, but I've known faults like that to be caused by a bad PSU and a bad X-Sus, even buffer boards can cause issues like that, so it could be really cheap to fix.

Fox1

20 Year Member
It's worth getting it checked out. In my opinion, it could be the panel but I doubt the gas is leaking unless there is a crack in the panel somewhere. If TV repair is anything like it is here in the UK all they do is board swap. My guess would be the logic board, but I've known faults like that to be caused by a bad PSU and a bad X-Sus, even buffer boards can cause issues like that, so it could be really cheap to fix.

The odd thing is the green looks completely fine though.