CVS287 RGB to Component encoder fine tuning...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
After almost 9 months of who knows what, I finally got around to installing broken's RGB Amp in my PC Engine. I have it hooked up to a CVS287 encoder to my Wega Trinitron and it works beautifully (Thanks, broken!).

I've tuned the Trinitron's picture settings to get a nice, sharp image that I'm pleased with. However, the picture is shifted a half inch to one inch to the left, leaving a little black space on the right side of the screen.

Within the encoder (those pots in there), is there a way to shift the picture? I haven't noticed when playing on composite or S-video that the picture is shifted that way.

Last edited:

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Sounds like a sync issue just like the Neo's.

I'm not sure if yours will respond the same way, but I've noticed that on my MVS.. adding a 1k potentiometer inline with sync can help shift the image to the right.

I'm sure others will chime in with a definitive answer, but I feel like this could be a possible solution!

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm running composite video from the PCE and passing that through a LM1881 sync stripper before it goes into the SCART end of the encoder.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
There's also this issue that I noticed tonight:
20140930_225200_LLS_zpswqtugmrn.jpg

On the left of the screen. At the top it looks fine and spaced from the side of the screen, but towards the bottom, it looks like it shifts to the left.

Could sync be causing this issue?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
What I ended up doing was adjusting my colors within the device via pots to correct some color oversaturation. As for the geometry, I went into my trinitrons service menu and got a picture I was happy with for 90% of the consoles I'm using on it. Some things will end up being cut off etc, but if you can get a nice fill vert/hori that works for most of your stuff I'd say leave it. I don't think you're going to be able to adjust anything within the device, so you'll end up needing to mess with the service menu for each console every time.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
As for the geometry, I went into my trinitrons service menu and got a picture I was happy with for 90% of the consoles I'm using on it. Some things will end up being cut off etc, but if you can get a nice fill vert/hori that works for most of your stuff I'd say leave it. I don't think you're going to be able to adjust anything within the device, so you'll end up needing to mess with the service menu for each console every time.

Ugh. I was afraid of that. I may try messing with it later tonight. An old post on NFGGames forums mentioned that the whole screen shift on the lower left is common with these encoders. It's not driving me super crazy now, though. Hopefully a little tweak will help.

Does the adjustments in the service menu change just one particular input (component, in my case), or does it affect the rest of the inputs?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it affects all inputs, but that might depend on the TV.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Anybody know where I can get my CVS287 audio modded?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
What do you mean "audio modded"?
Audio outputs from the SCART connector, I assume. I just took the audio out from the SCART input and connected them to a couple of RCA jacks.