Old Country Buffet appreciation thread

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I enjoyed it as a kid because eating jello, chicken and pizza in one dinner was awesome. No idea on the quality haven't been to one in years. Grandparents loved it though. Golden Corral isn't half bad, the guy doing the steak cuts at a nearby location is really good at nailing how well you want it cooked.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I enjoyed it as a kid because eating jello, chicken and pizza in one dinner was awesome. No idea on the quality haven't been to one in years. Grandparents loved it though. Golden Corral isn't half bad, the guy doing the steak cuts at a nearby location is really good at nailing how well you want it cooked.

In the 80's...where I live, Ponderosa was the shit for a kid. That buffet was epic for a 10 year old...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've never set foot inside of a Golden Corral. Am I missing out?

You are missing out on possible food poisoning and some of the lowest class citizens you will ever see.

These are the folks that think Walmart is a high class joint.

"Ma is getting her hair done up to go to Walmart this weekend"

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
In the 80's...where I live, Ponderosa was the shit for a kid. That buffet was epic for a 10 year old...

My favorite as a kid was Sizzler, had that small cart with dinosaur chicken nuggets, fruit loops, blue jello, and for some reason I ate a lot of the potato strings.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
You are missing out on possible food poisoning and some of the lowest class citizens you will ever see.

These are the folks that think Walmart is a high class joint.

"Ma is getting her hair done up to go to Walmart this weekend"

Fuck me running backwards up a hill. No wonder I've never been to one of these restaurants.

Maybe I should go....excellent people watching!:vik:

I hate Waffle House with a passion. My wife loves it and sometimes she twists my arm and makes me go. Fucking nasty disgusting places. I try not to touch anything while there.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Ah OCB,
It was a special kind of diarrhea, the kind that would rush out so fast, foaming like the insides of a protein skimmer on the back of a salt water aquarium. One step away from a nursing home experience without the forced rape by evil orderlies after visiting hours are over.

Having said that, if you want to eat your fill and commit the sin of gluttony, you really can't beat the price.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

I remember that place as a kid too.
"There's no stopping the topping sundae bar"

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
LOL...we have some of the shittiest Chinese buffets around here...it is amazing to watch obese people stuff their feed holes with sugary chicken and assorted fried shit. A few are just total shit and have evolved (or devolved) to the point to while they look like a Chinese place, they really don't even server Chinese food.

The ONLY time I will go to a Chinese buffet is when I'm drug with a group of coworkers...and I hate it when that happens.

Yeah, I know the place is full of obese rednecks in sweat pants, and a handful of asians (why the fuck do they go there.... seriusly). But there are still some people that are so woodchucky that they won't even try Chinese. I used to work with them.

As for the quality of buffets, some are shit some aren't. The ones in my closest town are shit. They just both degraded over time to the point where we said fuck it. I know of a few good ones in other towns though. Especially ones with lots of squid on the menu and sushi offerings with actual raw fish.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Panda Garden by us has some good sushi and the mongolian BBQ is good. I can't believe people wouldn't try chinese.

That same place had Duck once, but I thought it was gross.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My Chinese Buffet is awesome! They have a sushi bar, Fried Chicken, & tons of Sea Food...They have chinese food too . Weekend is bit pricey at $15 but during lunch is $8 w/ drink. They also have one of those chocolate fountains to dip fruits/marshmallows...

2013-05-02122146_zps627bd0f1.jpg
2013-05-02123939_zps72b8aa5a.jpg
2014-09-11191502_zpse2741fb9.jpg
2014-09-11183801_zpsb6d4ab72.jpg

OCB is pretty lousy, i think the only good thing they have is the Mac n Cheese. Its been about 3 years since been to one.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When both the customers and employees pronounce the name of the joint "buffett" instead of buffet, you know the price is going to be low.

My neighbor taught me this.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The hot & sour soup at Panda Garden is really good too.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I actually go to OCB and similar places for the salad bar. I love a huge plate of salad with every vegetable imaginable on top. The hot food is mediocre, although when golden corrall was doing all you can eat prime rib I was going nuts with it.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
The only buffet I go to is Fogo de Chao and I don't know if I'd technically call that a buffet either

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Do you have Mandarin or LaStanza in Ontario ?
Those are the only Canadian Buffet franchises I know of.

I've seen Mandarin, but there are so many Chinese restaurants here, the GTA looks like the background in a Hannah-Barbera cartoon. You can't go a block without seeing another strip mall and a bunch of Chinese owned and operated Chinese restaurants...and they all have names like Golden Dragon, Jade Garden, Dragon Garden, Jade Dragon, etc., etc..

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
we have IHOP and diners

and whole foods

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
we have IHOP and diners

and whole foods

IHOP is not that good. I like Denny's better - they have some good vanillia coke.
Whole Foods I've only been into once. That would probably be a good place to buy tea.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Home Town Buffet is ghetto as fuck.

Lots of white trash coughing up lungs all over the food.

At least that's what I remember.

I hate Waffle House with a passion. My wife loves it and sometimes she twists my arm and makes me go. Fucking nasty disgusting places. I try not to touch anything while there.

I used to date this girl from Georgia that used to beg me to take her to Wafflehouse. What a vile, fucking shithole of a restaurant. Hahaha... what we do for love.

PS: Wafflehouse pattymelt is umkay.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Home Town Buffet is ghetto as fuck.

Lots of white trash coughing up lungs all over the food.

I used to date this girl from Georgia that used to beg me to take her to Wafflehouse. What a vile, fucking shithole of a restaurant. Hahaha. What we do for love.
At least that's what I remember.
I remember 10 years ago OCB was called Home Town Buffet but they changed it back to OCB.

SCATTERED SMOTHERED - Gotta love those hash slingers.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't got to buffet's anymore.
I mostly eat smaller portions now. Buffet's make me upset that my stomach can't hold all the goodness anymore.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
My Chinese Buffet is awesome! They have a sushi bar, Fried Chicken, & tons of Sea Food...They have chinese food too . Weekend is bit pricey at $15 but during lunch is $8 w/ drink. They also have one of those chocolate fountains to dip fruits/marshmallows...

View attachment 19192
View attachment 19197
View attachment 19193
View attachment 19194

OCB is pretty lousy, i think the only good thing they have is the Mac n Cheese. Its been about 3 years since been to one.

Are those small plates or really big shrimp and sushi rolls ?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I've seen Mandarin, but there are so many Chinese restaurants here, the GTA looks like the background in a Hannah-Barbera cartoon. You can't go a block without seeing another strip mall and a bunch of Chinese owned and operated Chinese restaurants...and they all have names like Golden Dragon, Jade Garden, Dragon Garden, Jade Dragon, etc., etc..

I think mandarin is the one that goes free on Canada day and causes huge lineups of people. I seen it on tv. I think someone got stabbed on one of those buffet lines.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I dislike all buffets. I can't get over the thought of food sitting out for any extended amount of time and/or the thought of it being touched by the slobbering patrons before me. Sorry.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
It really does appear that HDRchampion resides at at least one end of a rainbow, possibly two.