suicidekiller's collection

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm still missing three releases with Toaplan music in my collection...

Hope you don't miss Daisenpû by any chance? One of the most intriguing pieces of videogame music, next to the beatless Tatsujin extravaganza. Especially the level one track is absolutely stunning. First the candy stage introduction, than the pulsating Detroit Techno... by God, it could have been Carl Craig himself!

Long live the 80s/90s segue ;).

By the way, when's Zuntata coming up, SK? I'm famished for some funkyness... Ninja Warriors anyone...?

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Hope you don't miss Daisenpû by any chance? One of the most intriguing pieces of videogame music, next to the beatless Tatsujin extravaganza. Especially the level one track is absolutely stunning. First the candy stage introduction, than the pulsating Detroit Techno... by God, it could have been Carl Craig himself!

Long live the 80s/90s segue ;).

Daisenpuu and Tatsujin never saw a standalone soundtrack release unfortunately. A Toaplan G.S.M. soundtrack by Scitron would have been nice, but it never happened :(

However, there was a recent release called Toaplan Shooting Chronicle which also contains some -if not all- of the old titles. Only problem: The box is on a not so interesting label (SuperSweep) and rather pricey ^^; But I will get it someday eventually.

By the way, when's Zuntata coming up, SK? I'm famished for some funkyness... Ninja Warriors anyone...?

I'm up to something, stay tuned :cool:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm up to something, stay tuned...

I hope so & I will... I'm a regular to this cool "more-blog-than-show-off-thread" and want to see it blooming. The Koshiros, Ishidas and Kawakamis of this world sure deserve a channel of their own... ;).

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Alright, who's ready for some Zuntata fame? (For those who don't know: Zunta was the In-House band of Taito)

Ok, so I promised something... I was finally able to pick up the Ninja Warriors LP record in complete condition!! This is a very special item for me and I've been looking for it for quite some years now. It is even special in several ways. It marks the very first record on the famous label Scitron, it's on vinyl and oh my gosh it contains The Ninja Warriors soundtrack :)

There's also a little backstory around this game I would like to share. I'm originally from the eastern part of Germany and needless to say there were no arcades back in the day. In the beginning of the '90s when I was still a kid (9 years old?) I used to visit free time centers where you could play some games on very old computers, play table tennis and stuff. However, they had two arcade cabinets too: One Sega Out Run stand up cabinet and, you may guess it, one Taito Ninja Warriors triple screen deluxe cab. So this is somehow the first game I can remember.

Kids were not allowed to play the game since the brutal theme to it. But of course I managed to play it nonetheless. I never made it very far due to the hard difficulty (the bosses...), maybe until level 2 or 3. But man, this game was so intense I never forgot about it. Well and the fond memories of the 'Daddy Mulk' theme from level 1 are still there :)
...because the Ninja Warriors are the immortal murder machines...

For your listening pleasure:

Spoiler:

I also have some more cool stuff. How about those two vinyl records? One for some very old Taito games like Space Invaders and the other one for the gorgeous Darius with special arrangements? Love 'em!

And here's the rest of my collection. The Syvalion soundtrack is also very very nice and a personal favorite of mine.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
awesome post and that Ninja Combat LP is a legendary piece of history, great you found one for your collection.
Thank you for sharing the "back story" also.

Slightly OT: Did you ever come across a Poly Play?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Alright, who's ready for some Zuntata fame?

It's a rethorical question, of course, since we all are... ;).

So the mighty Zuntata comes truly to life thanks to your collecting abilities, which are indeed amazig. There was a nice Layer Section Special Edition, though, that I miss in those pics... still, the vinyls are more than adequate to make up for it...

Next stop: S.S.T. Band. Just recently I watched a live show, where they presented some top noch medleys from After Burner, Galaxy Force II and, needles to say, Thunder Blade, my all time favourite. They funked so hard... I loved it.

Which makes me wonder, why our beloved SNK never had an in-house band... would've been awesome. Anyway, great pieces you summoned here, make your collection really shine!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Wow, nice Taito music collection!

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Next stop: S.S.T. Band.

Your wish is my command. And sorry for the delay in posting.

S.S.T., what to say? The name means Super Sonic Team and they were the SEGA in-house band until '93. They mostly composed and arranged the old arcade classics like Outrun and After Burner (Hiroshi Kawaguchi aka HIRO comes to mind who also played keyboard in S.S.T. band). Later on they did some Mega Drive stuff too, mostly arrangements and that was about it. Short lived band with an awesome lineup. Absolute recommendation!

So up to the goods :)

First up is my beloved Galaxy Force LP. It's a pleasure listening to all those exclusive arrangements (Out Run, Space Harrier, After Burner and Galaxy Force obviously).

Some classic vinyl. Outrun, Fantasy Zone and After Burner. Very lovely. By the way, they all include some more game soundtracks too like Enduro Racer, Alex Kidd etc. which is very nice too.

And my CD collection. Too bad S.S.T. didn't last too long so there aren't too many CDs of them :(

So the mighty Zuntata comes truly to life thanks to your collecting abilities, which are indeed amazig. There was a nice Layer Section Special Edition, though, that I miss in those pics... still, the vinyls are more than adequate to make up for it...

Yeah I still need that, but it doesn't have a high priority since it doesn't add anything special to the Darius universe. Just Original soundtracks that have been released before ;)

Which makes me wonder, why our beloved SNK never had an in-house band... would've been awesome. Anyway, great pieces you summoned here, make your collection really shine!

They had one. Although a very short lived one. They released exactly one CD under the name of Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan Special Band: Neo Geo Super Live '94. Unfortunately it's not the best live album there is. But still, I'm happy to have a listen to it from time to time.

PS: some of the recent SNK stuff. Also some pricey ones too ^^;

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
WOWWWWW! That is so hot, my man ;). AWESOME!!!

I merely bought the Galaxy Force/Thunder Blade 2007 reissue... a true gem of a collection, you got here. Gratuliere auf's Herzlichste!

Jedoch...

S.S.T., what to say? The name means Super Sonic Team...

Doesn't the name stand for Sega Sound Team Band???

Nevertheless... stunning!

You're making it tough for me to name some possible next stops... how about THE Yuzo Koshiro inspiration: TMN? Tetsuya is ace. Granted, it's not particularly video game music, yet, it might be interesting. Still, I could understand, if you are not into it though.

By the way, what do you think of the 'new' generation like Jake Kaufman? I have to admit, I'm not exactly touched by his approach...

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Doesn't the name stand for Sega Sound Team Band???

Yeah you are right, I mixed it up with one of their album titles which is Super Sonic Team. You can get confused from time to time with all those abbreviations and nom de guerre they used back then ^^;

Nevertheless... stunning!

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

You're making it tough for me to name some possible next stops... how about THE Yuzo Koshiro inspiration: TMN? Tetsuya is ace. Granted, it's not particularly video game music, yet, it might be interesting. Still, I could understand, if you are not into it though.

Well, there are a lot of other game companies left to have a look at: Capcom (Alfh Lyla), Data East (Gamadaelic), Namco (Shinji Hosoe), Irem, Falcom (J.D.K., Yuzo Koshiro), Nintendo etc. to name just a few ^^
Oh and who's that Tetsuya-san? Who is he? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know this guy (yet).

By the way, what do you think of the 'new' generation like Jake Kaufman? I have to admit, I'm not exactly touched by his approach...

I have to admit I haven't heard anything from Kaufman in particular. But he can't be that bad if he comes to arrange albums for CAVE. Since I'm mostly into '80s and '90s Arcade stuff I'm not 'up to date' considering 'new generations'. I guess CAVE is the most up to date company I have in my collection and they pretty much died down after the release of DoDonpachi SaiDaiOuJou two years ago.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
They are focusing on the mobile sector now, that's what happened. I'm not expecting any arcade games in the vein of their classic shmups anytime soon.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
BTW: In Case you listen to those soundtracks, do you prefer the original soundtracks or the arranged ones ? Especially with those SNK soundtracks I really prefer the arranged sountracks since the instruments are "real"

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Well, arrangements tend to add something unique not found in the original form, like solo parts, sometimes vocals or musical improvisation in general. Therefor I think they are more appealing. On the other hand certain original soundtracks hold up or even excel their arranged counterpart. It always depends on the quality of the score/arrangement I guess.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Well it has been a while guys but I guess it is update time! So today I present you my Capcom soundtrack collection. Enjoy :)

The composer team first started as "Capcom Sound Team" and changed their name later to "Alfh Lyra wa Lyra" which is Arabic and means "one thousand and one night". With prominent members like Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II), Harumi Fujita (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Pulstar, Blazing Star), Manami Matsumae (Final Fight) or Takashi Tateishi (Mega Man 2) I believe this is one of the most well known video game music composer teams that is. Capcom even established it's own music label in '98 called "Suleputer", a pun on the meaning of CAPCOM: capSULE comPUTER. Get it? ;)

So on to the goods. First up the G.S.M. soundtracks on my beloved Scitron label. There are seven in existence and therefor Capcom (together with Taito) has released the most G.S.M. soundtracks on Scitron. My favorite of them is probably number 6: Varth. I just love the OST, fast paced with nice melodies. No wonder it was composed by Masaki Izutani of Psikyo fame (another favorite of mine).

Next we have the "holy grails". I call 'em that way because they are all quite hard to come by in complete condition. Especially Sweet Home took me years to find. On the other hand they contain very nice arrangement to Famicom and Game Boy games and are all well worth to check them out.

From left to right: Marusa no Onna, Sweet Home, Red Arremer (Gargoyle's Quest II)

And the rest of my "normal" CD collection. Fighting Layer doesn't really fit but it plays a lot like Street Fighter EX (it uses the same engine) and is also by Arika so I decided to include it. The game has a great soundtrack too ;)

Then we have some collector's boxes with the Makaimura Ongakuzen being the most rare of the bunch. As you might guess I have a sweet spot for the Mega Man games too so I had to have those classic boxes.

ltr,ttb: Darkstalkers Sound Box, Ghost 'n' Goblins, Mega Man, Mega Man X, Mega Man spinoffs, Mega Man Famicom arrangements 1+2

And finally my vinyl records. I'm still missing the Capcom Game Music Vol. 3 but it's quite rare and doesn't pop up too often. On the bottom is the recent Street Fighter II Definitive Soundtrack 4LP box, a very nice item by the Brave Wave label. I'm really excited what else they will publish in the future. Hopefully a Mega Man vinyl box set!!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
First up the G.S.M. soundtracks on my beloved Scitron label. There are seven in existence...

Excellent update! My favorite out of those seven is one of the most iconic: Strider Hiryu. Miss Tamiya's legendary quarrels with Yotsui made the first attempt on serious music in video games and produced something Reich could be proud of. High modern, minimalistic and still catchy. Never heard before, never more accomplished after: a true phenomenon.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
great collection! my favourite videogame tune of all times - a bit different, but also from a capcom game - is the ending theme of the japanese biohazard 1...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This is an awesome collection! Very nice! Love that the Ninja Warriors ost in there too, but where the Ninja Warriors Again ost at? lol

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
since we are all nerds in some way: how long would it take to listen to all your soundtracks in a row ? Lifetime wouldn´t be enough I guess