How do I connect my Big Red Power Switch?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me connect my Big Red power switch.

I just got a Big Red and there are few things that need fixing. Right now I have to pull the power cable from the wall to power down.
When I finally get this thing in the position I want I wont be able to access the back of the cabinet.
So I really need to get the front Power Switch working.

Just behind the the coin-slots there is a power switch called: MAIN AC ON/OFF
(the back of this switch is pictured in the first image below)

It's not connected. I think I found the cable that I need to connect. I see four wires that look like they will connect to the back of the power switch (two pairs?).
But the other end of this cable has no place to plug into the Power Supply Unit.

Have a look at the pictures I took and let me know what you think I need to do.

...There is also a single green wire (ground?) with two ends that's aren't connected. What is it for?

Thank you!

Attachments

• BigRedPowerSwitch01.jpg
    BigRedPowerSwitch01.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 48
  • BigRedPowerSwitch02.jpg
    BigRedPowerSwitch02.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 48
  • BigRedPowerSwitch03a.jpg
    BigRedPowerSwitch03a.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 48
  • BigRedPowerSwitch04.jpg
    BigRedPowerSwitch04.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BigRedPowerSwitch05.jpg
    BigRedPowerSwitch05.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 48

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
If you have to ask, you probably should just plug your cab into a surge strip that has an on/off switch & be done with it

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you have to ask, you probably should just plug your cab into a surge strip that has an on/off switch & be done with it

Yup, that would work. But I'd like to learn more about this beast. And fix it up as best I can.

Maybe I just need a splitter that will accommodate the switch cable. But I don't know if this is correct or where I could go to get such a thing. I know there are knowledgeable people here who are willing to help out.

Neodogg, do you know how to do this? What's your best guess as to why my cabinet doesn't seem to have a place to plug-in the other end of this cable?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Without being there to see where things all lead too, I would suggest just wiring up a regular switch on the 120v. Think like a light switch on your wall, but in your cabinet. Where does your wires from the wall cable go? Just put a spst switch between.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
For that switch and power supply the idea is that there should be a set of "input" power lines that attaches to the bottom of switch from the power supply and then a matched set of "output" power lines that goes from the top of the switch to the power supply. This is often marked by a 4-pin connector that comes out of the power supply. What this does is complete the power circuit in the power supply so that the power supply turns on and supplies power to the cabinet.

Since the power supply you own does not have this (often called external switch), the only way to get something set up is to either:
1. Go buy a power bar and turn on the cabinet using the power bar, as suggested above.
2. Buy a new power supply that supports this particular external switching wiring like this one: http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/power_supplies/80-0002-10
3. Rig something up manually that works in between the power supply you have and the power cable that plugs into it. Such as illustrated here: http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/acwiring.html

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Thanks Neodog and trenog!

I like the idea of a power supply that supports the switch and even though they are pretty inexpensive I'd hate to replace a power supply that is working.
I'm guessing this unit had it's power supply replaced at one point which is why there's no longer any place to plug in the the existing switch.

I'm sure this will come as no surprise to both of you but right now I'm taking your advice and using a power bar to turn it on and off.

Thanks for the advice and all the great details. I'm might revisit this sometime.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
That switch is in an inconvenient location for personal use. I went the surge protector route to better protect the power supply as well as get a user friendly power switch for a home environment.

If you are looking for a project and you have a 4-slot but haven't added the additional +5 to the aux power connectors, that may be a better project to spend your time on.