What console would you recommend next to a NeoGeo?

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was going to go with Wii or Wii U simply for the emulation and catalogs of high quality NES, SNES, and PCE games they offer. If you don't want to pay the (ridiculous) prices of admission for SNES and now NES, then this may be your way to go.

In addition to the eShop and Wii Shop Channel, the vWii section is easily modifiable and can run apps like FCE Ultra GX, Snes9x GX, Genesis Plus, GxGeo, Neopop Wii, etc. etc.
It's the only console other then my MVS that I use for more then a BluRay player.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
In addition to the eShop and Wii Shop Channel, the vWii section is easily modifiable and can run apps like FCE Ultra GX, Snes9x GX, Genesis Plus, GxGeo, Neopop Wii, etc. etc.
It's the only console other then my MVS that I use for more then a BluRay player.

Word. I have my Wii hooked up to a CRT via component, and the emulators look great. Wii Classic Controller is awesome, as well.

I wouldn't want this setup in lieu of the real thing, but that's just me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Word. I have my Wii hooked up to a CRT via component, and the emulators look great. Wii Classic Controller is awesome, as well.

I wouldn't want this setup in lieu of the real thing, but that's just me.

Very true, all depends on what you have available. I love my SNES and everdrive as well as the carts with my retron 5. But I know if I only had modern consoles I'd use the crap out of the VC. I did with the Wii and it was awesome

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Like most posters here, I'd go with SNES. Unfortunately one of the best games (Earthbound) is RIDICULOUSLY expensive now, but most of the platformers are relatively cheap. I think you can still get Yoshi's Island for $20 - $30. And don't forget Super Metroid! Really though, Earthbound...wtf? I got it from a member here 6 years ago for forty bucks. Oh ans SNES has the superior controller imo, for platformers at least.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I do not believe all ps2 consoles are backwards compatible. I would research that before you go ahead and make the purchase. I do agree that the ps2 is a wise Hoover though

I think you mean ps3? from what I know, all ps2 systems are compatible with ps1 games. but turbografx is another good system to recommend as well. shmups are one of my favorite genres so owning a tg16 is a no brainer for me

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Like most posters here, I'd go with SNES. Unfortunately one of the best games (Earthbound) is RIDICULOUSLY expensive now, but most of the platformers are relatively cheap. I think you can still get Yoshi's Island for $20 - $30. And don't forget Super Metroid! Really though, Earthbound...wtf? I got it from a member here 6 years ago for forty bucks. Oh ans SNES has the superior controller imo, for platformers at least.

tell me about it, im shocked how pricy that game got. I remember buying it at a goodwill 5 years ago for only 3 bucks! ending up selling it a few months later since i'm not an rpg fan

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Another reason to go the Wii U route. Earthbound is $10 on VC. It also has off TV play which is great for binge watching crap on Netflix while playing a game.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I approve of the Wii and Wii U recommendations. Even if you don't mod it or dig deep into the Virtual Console, the original Wii has solid Nintendo titles and some interesting games that many forgot about: The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fragile Dreams, Lost in Shadow, Castle Shikigami III, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, The Sky Crawlers, etc. And they'll all run on a Wii U as far as I know.

I think you mean ps3? from what I know, all ps2 systems are compatible with ps1 games. but turbografx is another good system to recommend as well. shmups are one of my favorite genres so owning a tg16 is a no brainer for me

One downside to the TurboGrafx: most of its really good games are fairly expensive CD imports: Dracula X, Kaze Kiri, Sapphire, Spriggan...well, Spriggan's not too expensive. Emerald Dragon is cheap, too, but it's an RPG all in Japanese. So you can't see all that the system has to offer unless you get a TurboDuo or a CD attachment.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Another reason to go the Wii U route. Earthbound is $10 on VC. It also has off TV play which is great for binge watching crap on Netflix while playing a game.

Also include the manual, which if you got physically will settyou back a larger amount of already large cash.

Playing classic games w the Wii classic controller feels nice and comfortable after a long session. N64 are best with a GameCube controller IMO due to the sensitivity of the classic controllers stick.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This thread has veered way off topic.

A PS2/Wii/Wii U is an inappropriate companion for Neo Geo.

I believe the right answer was given in post #2.

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Sega megadrive
Sega Saturn ( Great 2D fighting collection )

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
If we are looking for consoles that will play original game cartridges, look into an SNES with RetoGEN adapter for Mega Drive games or maybe a Retron 5. The one my friend has is decent but the connector for SNES carts reads the cart on 1 out of 4 tries.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The ultimate console for action/platform games is the NES/FC.

Don't get me wrong though, the MD, SNES and PC Engine are obviously all great systems worth owning.

1000% this. You want an NES/Famicom. I personally think the SNES has a much more diverse library, but for something comparable to Neo Geo for pick up and play that's ripe with action/platformers, this is the one you want.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Thank you for all the inputs. Well being from Euroland what would I search for to get optimal image/audio quality? Get a euro NES with RGB mod? can you buy the stuff modded?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have a SNES mini with the RGB mod and its an awesome little console for RPGs and adventure/platform games. If you like arcade style games, which it seems to be the case then the SNES struggles a lot with them due to the weak CPU. Side scrolling fighters like Final Fight etc have cropped screens/borders and very low enemy counts as the SNES can only handle 2-3 characters at once. The Megadrive seems to do these better, street of rage 2, golden axe = nuff said imho. I'm off to Japan at the end of the week on holiday and will keep an eye out for a Japanese model 1 HAA-2510 MegaDrive in order to haul back to the UK :)

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Thank you for all the inputs. Well being from Euroland what would I search for to get optimal image/audio quality? Get a euro NES with RGB mod? can you buy the stuff modded?

Problem with the euro NES is that unlike the Mega Drive / SNES there is no easy way to mod the PAL 50hz system for 60hz. So while you might mod it for RGB you will still have to put up with slower gameplay and ugly black borders.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I have a SNES mini with the RGB mod and its an awesome little console for RPGs and adventure/platform games. If you like arcade style games, which it seems to be the case then the SNES struggles a lot with them due to the weak CPU. Side scrolling fighters like Final Fight etc have cropped screens/borders and very low enemy counts as the SNES can only handle 2-3 characters at once. The Megadrive seems to do these better, street of rage 2, golden axe = nuff said imho. I'm off to Japan at the end of the week on holiday and will keep an eye out for a Japanese model 1 HAA-2510 MegaDrive in order to haul back to the UK :)

I am with you on the numer of on screen characters in Final Fight on SNES - its just a lot less hectic than the arcade when all that you are up against at a given time is at most 3 sprites. I think that this was the main reason why they didn't do a two player mode - that would require at least double the amount of sprites on screen and with the code they had that would mean the game would grind to a complete halt.
Obviously a big part of it was that with FInal Fight Capcom was pressured into releasing the game ASAP and had they spent more time optimising the code a two player mode would most likely be possible as was demonstrated on the later Final Fight games.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
In Europe I'd say its better to get a PAL SNES and mod it for 60hz since:
- can get one locally on the cheap, no hassles with customs, international shipping etc.
- looks like the SFC, unlike the US SNES which looks like shit
- can get the offical SNES Nintendo RGB cable meaning you don't have to dick around with dodgy third party cables

The only instance I would consider a US SNES is a Mini for the sharper RGB, but even then I would rather get a SFC Junior.

True. The US SNES is ugly compared to the Euro/Jap Models. I owned a PAL SNES from launch then bought a US SNES (about £150 in 1993). The magazines I read all focussed on imports and many were not released over here for months or ever. I also dig the concave X & Y buttons.

I still use the same 3rd party RGB SCART from 1993. My US SNES has been a real trooper.

Wrong.

Stop posting.

Perhaps he remembered over-hearing a conversation in a bar about Sony dropping the PS2 compatibility on the PS3. "The people were angry" he remembered, "This is some real gamer shit being talked about". He saw an opportunity to relay his knowledge and also get serious kudos from his peers on the Neo-Geo.com forums. He took that opportunity, and mixed up some key details causing him to look pretty stupid.

Meanwhile. Back in the bar...

"At least" said another PS3 owner, "We've still got our Other OS feature". The shit really kicked off later on.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Perhaps he remembered over-hearing a conversation in a bar about Sony dropping the PS2 compatibility on the PS3. "The people were angry" he remembered, "This is some real gamer shit being talked about". He saw an opportunity to relay his knowledge and also get serious kudos from his peers on the Neo-Geo.com forums. He took that opportunity, and mixed up some key details causing him to look pretty stupid.

Meanwhile. Back in the bar...

"At least" said another PS3 owner, "We've still got our Other OS feature". The shit really kicked off later on.

You.

Spoiler:
I like you.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
go where the games are. How old consoles are doesnt matter the ps1 and sega saturn for example have various 2D/bitmap games from the arcades for example and early RPGs.

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast plenty of great arcade ports and arcade style games.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
To me it would be a tie betweens Sega Megadrive (Genesis) or Snes.

:(:(PC Engine Duo region modded! Highly underrated and has a huge library of games that will surely keep you satisfied for quite some time.

I'm new here BTW, and I'll post a formal intro as soon as I can create a thread in Welcome to Teh Drama. Right now thread creation is locked :(