Bad Sound on Cps2 X-Men Vs SF Board

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've tried reseating the board, dusting the contacts and I'm still getting bad sound. Is there something else I could do?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Has it always been bad (or did you buy it faulty) or was it good until now? Has is the sound bad - scratchy audio, distortion, samples not playing? Have you tried another A board?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No, I just got it in the mail today. I only have one A board so far but I've tried two other B Boards and they work fine. It's all the above, scratchy audio, distortion, samples not playing, and some sound effects are replaced by the wrong sound effects. I'm also hearing a beeping noise with the sound effects. If I run a memory check in the menu everything passes, but If I do a sound & voice check I could hear the same crap I'm hearing in the game.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No, I just got it in the mail today. I only have one A board so far but I've tried two other B Boards and they work fine. It's all the above, scratchy audio, distortion, samples not playing, and some sound effects are replaced by the wrong sound effects. I'm also hearing a beeping noise with the sound effects. If I run a memory check in the menu everything passes, but If I do a sound & voice check I could hear the same crap I'm hearing in the game.

Weird. Is it a battery board or a phoenix?

undamned

Pleasure Goal
It's all the above, scratchy audio, distortion, samples not playing, and some sound effects are replaced by the wrong sound effects. I'm also hearing a beeping noise with the sound effects. If I run a memory check in the menu everything passes, but If I do a sound & voice check I could hear the same crap I'm hearing in the game.

3 possible things come to mind:
- Bad mask ROMs or bad/misprogrammed EEPROMs
- Wrong jumper settings
- Bad/Wrong PAL (for XvSF you should have PAL F)

Easiest/only thing to check without a chip programmer is that the jumpers are set correctly:

xmvsf11.jpg
(from here)

-ud

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Battery board.

So you can count out modding failure. are you using clips? Without them sometimes the board wont contact enough with the A-board and you can get errors.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I had a similar problem with an AvP board. All of the jumpers were fine, the eproms checked out, the PALs checked out. The background music was being played with the sound effects and not the music samples it was supposed to. Strange thing is, I swapped over eprom 11 & 12 and the music played fine but the sound effects were dead. It's still in my pile to look at later. Give that a go, see if the music plays fine.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So you can count out modding failure. are you using clips? Without them sometimes the board wont contact enough with the A-board and you can get errors.

Yes, I'm using clips.

I had a similar problem with an AvP board. All of the jumpers were fine, the eproms checked out, the PALs checked out. The background music was being played with the sound effects and not the music samples it was supposed to. Strange thing is, I swapped over eprom 11 & 12 and the music played fine but the sound effects were dead. It's still in my pile to look at later. Give that a go, see if the music plays fine.

Will try it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So swapped the chips and still got garbled sound and music.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Do as said above, check the jumpers, if you can, read the eproms for the sound (01, 11 & 12) and confirm they read ok.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I should have checked this before but missed it. It turns out that two of the little squares on one of the connectors were slightly dented in and not making good contact with the A Board connector. Sounds good now. Going to give a full test run later on tonight and see what happens.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Cool. Those pins on the connectors are quite fragile really.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Enter the test menu, run the Memory Test.

See if you have any NG roms on board.

It's usually the last option on the menu.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've ran the memory test and everything passed ok. No NG Roms. The part that sucks is that I'm getting the bad sound again.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
What type of eproms are your sound rom?

27C1000 or 27C010?

You have to look at the little number on the chip.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Get a multimeter out.

Check the sound jumpers, 1-12.

Should look like this: SOOS SO OSSOSO

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
If it worked for a bit it's probably not jumpers, it sounds more like an addressing issue which would suggest connector problems. I'd take a look at the connector which was bent before, make sure all the pins on it are securely soldered to their relevant board.