Neo Geo AES Eightman. Beatem up or shooter?

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Eightman on the Neo Geo gets a lot of flak for not being a great game. Well I played it last night and I really liked it. The graphics are just amazing especially at the time. And I think that is it's strength. But when you actually get in the gameplay, it feels more like a shooter than a beat em up like final fight. When you hit enemies they blow up and take damage like a shooter would. Enemies flash when they are hit and they do not animate like they are hurt like in final fight and there is no grappling. Do any of you think that Eightman should of been more like Final Fight?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I'm glad it does it's own thing instead of being just another beatemup. I like this style of gameplay.

I do think it's a bit repetitive though. If it had a couple more enemy types per stage, unique bosses with no repeats, and a bit more platforming variety (more cool stuff like the airship), it would be a really sweet game. As is, I still like it, just as long as I don't play it too often.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Press A and B together so you hit both in front and to the back. Yeah in other words I just mash. XD

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
+1 for 8man being alright.

I got a copy unexpectedly a couple of years or so ago and expected fuck all from it. But, although unremarkable, the gameplay is tight enough that I actually got enjoyment from playing it.

Would play again

Al2k

n00b
Yes, this game is not brilliant but I like playing it from time to time.

I would also classified it as an action game, it's closer to a beat 'em up than a shooter though.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Can't even tell what is being shot that could have considered this a shooter.