Wiring Csync on NTSC SNES

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Anyone modify a SNES scart cable to use csync from the console? Do you need a capacitor on the sync signal like you do on the RGB lines?

I know with my Genesis model 1, I have to use the same reisitor/cap combo on sync that I do on R G and B. Curious if the SNES is the same, or if you can just wire csync straight in place of cvid without a cap needed.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Wired it straight through (no cap on sync) and it's working on my NEC, which is my pickiest monitor by far. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Wired it straight through (no cap on sync) and it's working on my NEC, which is my pickiest monitor by far. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

disregard im dumb didn't read the first three words.

*edit* you just need to wire the av connector side to use the composite sync pin, no caps or resistors needed.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
you just need to wire the av connector side to use the composite sync pin, no caps or resistors needed.

Thanks, can confirm this is what I did and it's working nicely :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Same thing with SNES mini if you are restoring comp sync to the AV out. No need for any caps or resistors for it.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
For me, using C-sync or S-video's Y line have both worked fine. It is worth noting that using Composite Video or S-video Y as a sync line will make the image shift slightly to the right, so if you can use it to your advantage then it's not a bad thing to have.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
For me, using C-sync or S-video's Y line have both worked fine. It is worth noting that using Composite Video or S-video Y as a sync line will make the image shift slightly to the right, so if you can use it to your advantage then it's not a bad thing to have.

Using composite video as sync also causes the faint diagonal lines through the picture so using luma as sync would be a bit better than composite video if you cant use composite sync. It is not visible on all monitors but it is on a lot of them.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
On my PVMs that take cvid as sync I've never had any interference or lines in any of the colors at all. I've used cvid as sync for numerous consoles on various PVMs with no issues.

I'm switching a couple of my consoles over to csync so I can use them on my NEC CM-2791's without a lm1881 seperator. So far the genesis and SNES have been that easy (rewire csync in place of civd. Genny needed cap/resistor on sync same as the R, G, and B lines).

H shift isn't an issue, all my monitors have adjustments for that.