ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS (SEGA MEGA DRIVE, 1990) PLUM brand 1/35 AS-5E3 "LEYNOS" (PLAYER TYPE)

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS (SEGA MEGA DRIVE, 1990) PLUM brand 1/35 AS-5E3 "LEYNOS" (PLAYER TYPE)

i just put bought a copy of this model that just came out this April; (2011)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622749002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_Suits_series

LEYNOSAS-5E31-351.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-355.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-357.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-356.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-354.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-01.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-02.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-03.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-05.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-04.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-11.jpg

this is a personal dream come true.

back in 1990/1991, perhaps a year at most after my parents bought me my very first VG console, the SEGA GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE,
during it's X-MAS 1989 U.S. debut, i was bought this absolutely fantastic Mecha game called "TARGET EARTH"
which i came to find out, a bit over a decade later, was an Anime-style Mecha game called "ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS" in Japan,
but, that fact aside, T.E./LEYNOS was, in all honesty, one of my earliest exposures to the japanese "Real Robot" genre,
and it was instrumental, along with some light exposure to ROBOTECH as a toddler back in the mid-80's
in grooming me for my future as an OTAKU.

i have both my original, 1990-bought, threadbare U.S. T.E. edition game, as well as a copy of LEYNOS that is nearly mint, and quite complete;

SEGAGENESISCOLLECTION1-5-111.jpg

like all early-era SEGA GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE games and consoles, there is NO regional lockout,
so my copy of LEYNOS plays just fine on my early-era U.S. GENESIS console.

indeed, i have played my T.E. copy into the ground throughout the 15 years i enjoyed it until i picked LEYNOS up in the mid 2000s.
it still works fine, and i occasionally have pangs to play the game through again every so often,
but now i use my LEYNOS copy exclusively.

anyway, i have always loved the game, and have always liked the AS-5E3 "Leynos" ASSAULT SUIT design.
as such, i have always dreamed of having a model or pre-fab figure of the Mecha,
but have always figured that such a thing could never happen outside of perhaps the Garage Kit industry.

well, this "PLUM" company has come out of nowhere just this year and made my dream come true!!

this is a VERY EXPENSIVE snap-fit polycapped injection kit, and isn't going to be like the typical BANDAI MG GUNDAM.

i CANNOT MAKE a mistake with it, lest i'll have to live with it, as this model is much too expensive for my budget
to be tackling half-heartedly.

i am a fairly basic-skilled plastic modeler, but a PRO i am most assuredly not.

therefore, i am NOT going to be giving this thing a total paint job.
i'll be adding, fine details wherever necessary, but the model at large will remain in it's molded finish.

if i REALLY wanted, i THINK i could make a an overall serviceable whack at a pro finish,
but i'd rather have a detailed toy-like model that i do not have to worry about handling,
so paint work will remain limited to fine detail.

EBAY says i should expect to receive this about mid August.
being that the seller is HONG KONG in origin, and judging by the many HK EBAY purchases i've made before,
that ETA sounds about right. we'll see...

Master Tasuke

just picked one of these up off the BAY as well, a Verlinden brand 1/35 US Navy 'TOP GUN' Pilot figure kit;

Verlinden1-35USNavyTOPGUNPilot1.jpg

he'll be serving (with a somewhat different color scheme then the one in the example photo) as the ASSAULT SUIT's pilot...

wheee!! it just came this morning!!

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-28-11.jpg

BIG box, absolutely packed with parts frames! NO wasted space!! it looks like it'll build to a nice, beefy size, a solid 1/35 to match those figures i bought for it!!

still have yet to receive that VERLINDEN fighter pilot, but that should show up soon enough!
i've already started the base coat on that DESERT STORM figure set, and i'll be painting that pilot to basically match.

got a lot of work to do now!!

Master Tasuke

assembly and basic painting of the small handful of areas that required it before assembly is all finished;

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-29-11.jpg

i've plenty of detail painting to do yet, though. i used TAMIYA XF-63 GERMAN GREY for the forearm units and antenna mast,
TAMIYA X-7 RED for the red halo effect for head unit camera/sensor module, and TESTOR'S MODEL MASTER GUNMETAL
for the Gatling barrels of the "HG-GUN" (name as was given in the game)

overall, a FANTASTIC model, the perfect size too, IMO.

one little point of contention, though; the ball joints on the ankles and shoulders can be a bit iffy,
and have a tendency to pop out if not manipulated carefully.

i'd like to say that that i just assembled it wrong, but while i assembled it quickly, i also assembled it carefully.

besides, with around fifty-odd GUNDAM kits under my belt, from 1/144s, to 1/100 HG and MGs, to a 1/60 PG ZETA,
i like to think that i've been around the block a couple times with Snap-Fit, Polycap mecha models,
and that i pretty much know what i'm doing at this stage. this particular kit was no more complicated in the end
than your average BANDAI HG, anyway...

still, i don't know if that ball-joint issue is truly a flaw in the design, or what,
but i just figured that i should make it known.

finally, even though this IS technically a Snap-Fit, many of the parts don't exactly snap together
as tightly as the average GUNDAM does. as such, gluing is recommended for this one. i myself
just went ahead and glued everything, regardless of how well it came together.
as a result, my model is rather rock-solid...

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-29-113.jpg

that 1/35 pilot just arrived this morn!

gee, i had no idea that it would be a RESIN kit!! the EBAY auction never even hinted at that.

well, this will be the very first time i've ever tackled a Resin model. so far, it ain't bad at all!
the parts came cast on slabs of excess moulding, with lots of "Flash" but they cleaned up very well, as you can see in that photo above.

i gave the helmeted head a very careful "Shave" to remove the mustache, so that the final figure would more closely resemble
the pilot of the ASSAULT SUIT that you control in the game.

well, if Resin holds TAMIYA ACRYLICs as readily as it is worked, this should be a snap!

Verlinden1-35USNavyTOPGUNPilot1.jpg

my final product will have a somewhat different color scheme, to attempt to reflect the look established in the game's ending scenes;

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending9.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending1.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending8.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending2.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending3.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending4.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending5.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending6.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending7.png

Master Tasuke

finished, for the most part.

still have some touch up and detail work yet, mostly on the pilot. regardless, both are essentially complete;

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-111.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-112.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-113.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-114.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-115.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-116.jpg

and, FINISHED PRODUCT;

ASL-JOHN-4-28-12.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
not bad at all.

Spoiler:
I only looked at the pictures.

Master Tasuke

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I built the Darius kit from PLUM. Their kits are pretty nice. That one turned out good but it would look even better with a little more detailing and panel lining

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Thats pretty cool.

I had built a HEAVYARMS and an EPYON model when I was a teenager. I was sad at how quickly they broke though.
GundamWing was the shit.