Collecting UK Version NGPC games.

You've got a great collection there!
Which console do you have?

It's kind of a bluish silver? I'm not sure what kinds came out. I actually got it for free from a game store, because it was "broken". I used to work there before I was laid off a few years ago, so they said I could just have it if I could fix it. Plus they had never sold a single NGPC the whole time I was there or after. But there was really nothing wrong with it! They just didn't realize the power button on a NGPC has to be held down for a second or so, not just pressed once like a modern console. Had Sonic in it too, one of the best games, so I just kind of lucked into this!

If I were to buy a system, I probably would have picked on of the transparant ones. I miss that trend in handhelds from the 90s. Where's my "Atomic Purple" 3DS? Then I would backlight mod this one. But I'm gonna focus on the games first.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
It's kind of a bluish silver? I'm not sure what kinds came out. I actually got it for free from a game store, because it was "broken". I used to work there before I was laid off a few years ago, so they said I could just have it if I could fix it. Plus they had never sold a single NGPC the whole time I was there or after. But there was really nothing wrong with it! They just didn't realize the power button on a NGPC has to be held down for a second or so, not just pressed once like a modern console. Had Sonic in it too, one of the best games, so I just kind of lucked into this!

If I were to buy a system, I probably would have picked on of the transparant ones. I miss that trend in handhelds from the 90s. Where's my "Atomic Purple" 3DS? Then I would backlight mod this one. But I'm gonna focus on the games first.

The metallic blue one, was imaginatively just called 'blue' here lol.
There were a lot more colours available in Japan. I've got all the UK colours except Silver, which I've got as a b/w.
I think my favourite is the Aqua blue.
SDC10061.JPG

Oh yeah, there was a black and white model wasn't there? But if I recall only 10 games came out for it before the color version replaced it. And only 4 of those ten never got color remakes. Unfortunately for me, I have to find 2 of the ten b/w to complete my fighting game collection. But I already found a KoF R1 faster than I thought I would.

KoF R1 isn't hard to find, especially the Japanese ones, it's the English UK ones that are a bit tricky to get, this also applies to Samurai Shodown B/W unfortunately.

KoF R1 isn't hard to find, especially the Japanese ones, it's the English UK ones that are a bit tricky to get, this also applies to Samurai Shodown B/W unfortunately.
I didn't realize they released any B/W games outside of Japan. Which ones were released in Europe?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
These English black & white games were distributed in Asia, Europe, and the US: (the games are identical between regions)

Baseball Stars
KOF R1
Neo Geo Cup 98 Plus (the only NGP or NGPC game to never come out in Japan)
Pocket Tennis
Samurai Showdown

These English black & white games were distributed in Asia, Europe, and the US: (the games are identical between regions)

Baseball Stars
KOF R1
Pocket Tennis
Samurai Showdown
Oh I see. And two of those games have color updates. I wonder why they never did color versions of KoFR1 or Samura Shodown.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

Baseball Stars
KOF R1
Pocket Tennis
Samurai Showdown
Are you sure the US got b&w NGP games? I was under the assumption that we only got color games?

I'm pretty sure we only received the color games.

I actually didn't know there was a B/W NGP until 2003.

It was only around for a year and has 10 games total. I'm wondering why they bothered to release it outside of Japan at all.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
It was only around for a year and has 10 games total. I'm wondering why they bothered to release it outside of Japan at all.
Not to sound like a dick, but is there proof? I'm really interested if there is.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Even at the time in the UK, Japanese monochrome games were more readily available than the English releases.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Are you sure the US got b&w NGP games? I was under the assumption that we only got color games?

Yes, I'm sure. All you had to do was call SNK USA, and you could buy all of this stuff.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yes, I'm sure. All you had to do was call SNK USA, and you could buy all of this stuff.
That's pretty cool. Was there any packaging difference or were they the same Euro releases?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think my favourite is the Aqua blue.
I have one of the slim models in anthracite - that's my favorite for sure. Also have a transparent slim and a regular metallic blue (all color), those are great too. Used to have a banged up silver slim I got supercheap from Japan, but sent that one on to a fellow member...

I generally prefer the slim model over the regular, the screen seems to have better contrast to me and it fits my hands better.
If I found a cheap b/w model I would pick that up as well, just fpr the hidden "minigames" :)