Financial Checkup, Let's Discuss Positions, Holdings, and Thoughts for Near Future

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The meltdown in China has officially affected Wall Street. Currently S&P: -4.85% Dow Jones: -5.9% Nasdaq: -8.0%

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah. i'm looking to make some major purchases when this stuff bottoms out. Most companies are doing just fine and posting decent profits. THe market did need some correcting, but I'm not certain this is a crash. There's a few overvalued stocks(Chipoltle), but it's still a good market.

I saw a few coal companies are almost to the point of being delisted. Obama really f'd them hard. It might be worth grabbing some if you think coal can make a comeback.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
How are peoples 401k holding up? mine is down 1% but it was up 5% so I guess you can say down 6%. Compared to my stocks which are down 15% I guess I cant complain much.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
USD to JPY is fucking me pretty hard two days before a trip.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
These things go in cycles. Don't worry about it - by the time you retire, it'll be back up.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No one cares to listen to advice from a bipolar 40 year old with absolutely zero stock trading experience who had a mental breakdown a few weeks ago.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
No one cares to listen to advice from a bipolar 40 year old with absolutely zero stock trading experience who had a mental breakdown a few weeks ago.

How the fuck do you guys pay attention so much.....

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
My financial adviser gave me a call last night. He was totally not worried about all this shit. Based on a quick look at today's futures, he was right.

There will be a huge rebound today...watch.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
cashed outta market a lil while back everythings in NYC real-estate, its always up never down.
also sold our Brooklyn Condo last January for +50% of what we bought it at 5 years before, took it and ran to CA.
Coming from NY to CA is refreshing in both people and Space for the dollar.

Find your self a area in NY next to the train and the most recent developed Neighborhood and wait 5 years for sizable profits.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Still buying/building property. Passive income will hit about 40-50k pa by end of the year.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Yuan sucks, stocks on sale, wasn't it only 6 months ago that the Dow was above 18,000?

Time to buy I guess.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Royal Bank of Scotland is urging people to sell EVERYTHING to retain capital because stocks are gonna dive (according to them).

Seems like a self-fulfilling prophesy.

theMot

10 Year Member
Royal Bank of Scotland is urging people to sell EVERYTHING to retain capital because stocks are gonna dive (according to them).

Seems like a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Seems like someone in RBS shorting the market...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever seen the market react to an opinion of Scotland.

I did hear the Canadian dollar is going to keep dropping tho. Conversion rate of 0.7 right now. WTF you doing Canada? Get back to drilling and fracking the shit out of Alberta, and stop paying attention to your moronic PM.

If you coming here looking for stock tips, Big Pharma is very low at the moment. People are gonna keep popping pills, so time to buy a chunk.

theMot

10 Year Member
I don't think I've ever seen the market react to an opinion of Scotland.

I did hear the Canadian dollar is going to keep dropping tho. Conversion rate of 0.7 right now. WTF you doing Canada? Get back to drilling and fracking the shit out of Alberta, and stop paying attention to your moronic PM.

If you coming here looking for stock tips, Big Pharma is very low at the moment. People are gonna keep popping pills, so time to buy a chunk.

Canada's economy (like ours) is resource driven. China and a few other developing nations haven't been hungry for resources like they were a few years ago and thus those dollars drop. Also the USD has been strengthening against everything as it crawls out of leaner times. Your rates just ticked up for the first time in almost a decade. Times are a bit uncertain too which means a flight of wealth to the bigger robust currencies like the Yen, euro, usd. Basically everything has dropped against those.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
There must be an oil play worth making at the moment for those who have 18-24 months to wait.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
So, like many in this thread, I'm feeling the burn of the last few weeks. Shitty start to the year, but January is typically a bad month, so it's par for the course, I guess.

I made a much bigger real estate play last year. Liquidated a lot of my personal stock account in July/August and bought a second property. After closing, my real estate guy said, "Let's just stick your old place on the market... I know you want to rent it, but I can probably get you a better price than you expect."

He was right. He put an extra $60K in my pocket over what we were asking, and sold it in 1 day on the market, first open house, preview event, hadn't even made it to the MLS. I was shocked. Buyer paid cash, and I was sitting with one property in 14 days.

Now, I'm looking for another property to buy, probably out of CA, simply for the added benefit of giving me an escape house eventually when it's time to think retirement or just gain a little sanity back.

My new place has gone nuts, according to the comps in the neighborhood and in the same building. I've added about $100K+ in value just by sitting on my ass over the last four months. I can't even fathom that. It feels fake, and yet the prices in the area keep climbing up and up. Happy I got what I did, because within a year or so I'd have been completely priced out of this area.

I'm really tempted to dump the cash I have now into a few different stock plays, but with the volatility what it is right now, and the hope to buy an investment property this year on my mind, I may keep a wad of cash available instead... My current investing, other than 401K, is pretty short term focused, and this is a rocky year for any short term gains, if any.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've added about $100K+ in value just by sitting on my ass over the last four months.
What area in CA has gained $100,000 in the last 4 months? What was the initial investment? You should get a loan and buy several properties if prices are rising that quickly.

Last edited:

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
It's interesting to hear that you had such a huge gain in just the last 4 months. I have 3 multi family rental properties in LA county and they haven't seen significant gains in (what feels like) a long while. Getting ready to liquidate all 3 for somewhere in the $2M range in the next few months and will be investing my portion of it into a business and real estate in Las Vegas.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I own in DTLA which is going through an incredible real estate boom. Price per sqft has slowly ticked up from mid $500s to $800 and above now. I don't like the idea of too many eggs in one basket, though. What goes up can come down and I'm already heavily invested here, that's why I am looking elsewhere for investment opportunities.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
How did you guys get all that cash to fund on property investment. Probably not a good time in buying property right?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How did you guys get all that cash to fund on property investment. Probably not a good time in buying property right?

It's always a good time to be buying property, it just depends where you are buying it. I know that sounds like the kind of bullshit mantra some con artist at an investment seminar would throw out but it's true. I don't know the US property market but your man RealNinjuz is talking about vegas - ask him why, look into it.

As for getting the cash - borrow it - it doesn't cost much to get into property in one way or another if you're really serious about it.

Last thing - don't go looking for $100k returns in 4 months if you're only going to stick $10k in. It's the % return that matters, not the $ value.