DC Comics TV show thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Gotham episode 3 tonight, Flash premiere tomorrow, Arrow S3 on Wednesday.

Probably the last time I watch Gotham unless this episode is a dramatic improvement over the first two train wrecks.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Welp, I'm done.

Gotham is pure trash. Gave it three episodes, that's all I can stand. MacKenzie is an emotionless block of wood, Jada Pinkett Smith is still terrible, Penguin has slaughtered multiple people in broad daylight and nobody seems to notice, the cop beats the perp with his service award (YOU GET IT? IT ILLUSTRATES HOW CORRUPT GOTHAM IS! GET IT? GOTHAM? IT'S CORRUPT? *nudge*), Selina Kyle is still terrible, Balloonman? What the fuck? And those scenes with Barbara and Montoya... holy shit.

This show is worse than Arrow ever was, at any point.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Welp, I'm done.

Gotham is pure trash. Gave it three episodes, that's all I can stand.
There have been plenty of great shows that took more than an entire season to find their footing. Especially in genre television. Three episodes is nothing.

But that's why I haven't watched any yet. I'll wait until the season is over and decide whether to watch it then.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Flash debuts tonight. Remember that it runs 3 minutes into the next hour if you're planning to DVR it.

I'm hyped.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So how many of you heathens watched the live airing?

Like I said, I had already seen it, but I still had a ton of fun watching again (and spotting the extra three minutes).

I'd say this was leagues better than any other modern (1990s and on) live action super hero show. Puts Arrow's to shame, same with Smallville and Gotham and Constantine.

There was some cheesy dialogue and a few awkward actors (the people playing Ollie/Arrow, Caitlin Snow, and Iris in particular) but the rest of it was quite good. There is of course the requisite amount of CW teen angst melodrama, but it wasn't too heavy handed to watch like early Arrow.

Arrow S3 starts tomorrow, will be glad to watch.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Flash ratings are in.

It did a 3.5, a 1.8 in the 18-49 demo, and 4.5 million viewers.

Arrow's premiere, by comparison, did a 3.0, 1.3 18-49, with 4.14 million.

This was the highest debut for a CW show since 2009, and it was #3 (behind NBC and CBS, ahead of ABC and Fox) in its timeslot for the first time in a good long while.

It also beat Agents of SHIELD last night, which aired an hour later on ABC.

Like most CW shows, it's also expected to do strong numbers on DVR and Hulu/Amazon.

Anyone who wants to see the episode can buy it on Amazon, or watch on Hulu now:
http://www.hulu.com/the-flash

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
There have been plenty of great shows that took more than an entire season to find their footing. Especially in genre television. Three episodes is nothing.

Agreed. Not thrilled thus far but I'm not writing it off yet.

Come this time next week, I'm sure we'll see an ep. 4 update(s) from fami...

famicommander

15 Year Member
Agreed. Not thrilled thus far but I'm not writing it off yet.

Come this time next week, I'm sure we'll see an ep. 4 update(s) from fami...

Nah, I'm out. I might do a Netflix marathon if I hear good things after the season ends, but I honestly have no desire to watch an episode of Gotham again.

There are only two aspects of the show that I don't consider total trash: the awesome set design and Donal Logue's acting. The dialogue, writing, acting, music, camera work, heavy handed foreshadowing, and totally disjointed tone are too much for me to handle.

To me, this show is worse than early Arrow or SHIELD (and I abandoned SHIELD long ago, never looked back). This shit is Smallville-tier, and I can't stand that show.

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
I don't know. I'm actually enjoying Gotham. The kid they got for Bruce Wayne is great and I like how they are exploring the psychology behind the boy becoming Batman. "I'm learning to conquer fear," etc. Yes the foreshadowing is a bit lame with lines like "that's how we get vigilantes," but you guys are approaching it as comic fans who know all this backstory already. And so am I course, but my wife is loving the show and said to me after the first episode. "Wow, I wish I knew more about what characters are from the comic." I think the show is doing a slow build and I can see it approaching a rhythm. I also think the kid they cast as the Penguin is a wise choice and portraying him as a psycho who can't control his fear and anger is a nice subtle parallel to Bruce Wayne's development.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Barry Allen will make a cameo on tonight's Arrow premiere, and they will be re-airing the Flash pilot immediately after Arrow.

Flash pilot is also up on iTunes now, so there are four ways for people to see it: Amazon, Hulu, iTunes, and the re-run.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Did nobody else really see that sucky Gotham pilot?

Spoiler:

fucking teenage Catwoman being a shitty thief, slinking around in the background of all Bruce's scenes but never talking

the god damn Riddler works at the GCPD and actually speaks in riddles

Penguin is a conniving little lapdog bitch

kid Poison Ivy is actually named Ivy, and can be seen fiddling with plants

It's less subtle than Nolan's shitty pretentious trilogy. Nolan's characters simply announce their narrative purposes, but these characters repeatedly nudge you in the side with their elbows

"SEE GUYS, I'M THE RIDDLER. YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY I SPEAK IN RIDDLES. GET IT? HUH? DO YA?"

I'm bracing myself for Metropolis: The story of a man who would one day repair the air conditioner at Clark Kents apartment.

ON HIS DAY OFF.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ibePHIjkbCQsMH.png

Amazing. I wonder if it would have done better or worse had the pilot not leaked a few months back.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Arrow S3 premiere was last night.

Ratings were up; initial overnight is 2.8 million viewers. Up slightly from last year's premiere and finale, and also up in the demographic rating. They also re-aired the Flash pilot right after, which did another 2.1 million.

Spoiler:

They killed off Sara. Three arrows to the gut, then fell off a building. So that pretty much confirms Laurel will be Black Canary, probably training with Wildcat soon.

Roy was much less annoying in this episode. His actor has improved considerably since last season, and he seems to work well as Arsenal.

Diggle being a father seems to be getting a lot of play, but the preview from the next episode has him shooting people again so apparently his decision to stay out of the field wasn't a permanent one.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Pied Piper has officially been cast:
vviSao1.jpg

Andy Mientus, who has been on Broadway and some TV shows.

Is openly bisexual and engaged to a man, which flows with the character's homosexuality.

Set to appear in episodes 11 and 12 (so far).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Gotham episode 4 last night. Only watched a little of it (was watching MNF), but I seem to have the formula down: few Penguin updates, requisite scene with Alfred being a dick to Bruce at first then being nice, a scene where Gordon tells Bruce a ton of information about crime for no reason then explains there's hope or some shit, a bad scene with Barbara involving secrets, a bad scene with Fish Mooney doing something ridiculous. All done, on to the next week.

Tonight is Flash episode 2, tomorrow Arrow. New preview trailers:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Flash was awesome again last night, and the ratings were great once again. Looks like we've got a long term series on our hands.

Arrow tonight, should be good to see the aftermath of last week's episode.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Constantine starts tonight on NBC.

Flash has still been great, Arrow finding its season 3 stride, Gotham still god awful, still don't give a fuck about SHIELD.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pied Piper has officially been cast:
vviSao1.jpg

Andy Mientus, who has been on Broadway and some TV shows.

Is openly bisexual and engaged to a man, which flows with the character's homosexuality.

Set to appear in episodes 11 and 12 (so far).

i swear to god i thought he was 15 until you said he was engaged, and then i found out he's older than me

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Really am enjoying flash.
Didn't get a chance to see Constantine
since I was busy standing in line to buy a batman print.
I'll hunt it down online.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Constantine was awesome last night. The TV version of the pilot was much better than the leaked version from a few months back.

I'm worried about the ratings, though. They only did 4.3 million live viewers, which isn't good at all for an NBC premiere. Of course, they were up head to head against the World Series, but still. I don't know why NBC would premiere it now, late on a Friday night, against the WS. Because next week is Halloween, so not much chance for a bounceback.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Few things:
1. Anyone else watch Constantine?

2. Captain Motherfucking Cold will be on Flash tonight, as well as Arrow's Felicity Smoak

3. Final L+7 ratings for the first Flash episode are in:
October 27, 2014 (Burbank, CA) — The series premiere of THE FLASH rises to 6.8 million total viewers, becoming The CW's most watched telecast of any series in the history of the network, in final Live + 7 Day Nielsen ratings data. THE FLASH premiere is also the highest-rated telecast among Men 18-49 (3.2) ever on the network.

THE FLASH is The CW’s highest-rated series debut ever in Men 18-34 (2.5), and the second highest-rated series premiere in Adults 18-49 (2.6).

The debut episode of THE FLASH rose +41% in total viewers in Live + 7 compared to the Live + Same Day total, and jumped +37% in Adults 18-34 and +39% in Adults 18-49.

THE FLASH premiere has been seen more than 13 million times across all platforms, including initiated streams on digital platforms and total unduplicated viewers on-air over two airings the week of Oct. 7.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Few things:
1. Anyone else watch Constantine?

The wife and I recorded it and watched it this weekend. I have zero knowledge of the character, so I was coming into this fresh. That said, it was okay. Not great, but passable. We'll have to give it a few more episodes to see if it's something we want to continue to watch. Although it sounds like it did fairly poorly in the ratings, so I don't know if it'll even be around for that long unless things pick up.