What was your first videogame console/computer?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I dont even remember what the fuck the console was called. It had a build in keyboard & i remember using the keyboard to move as my dad didn't buy any controllers for it or it may not even have controllers for it. The three games we had was Galaga, Dig Dug, & Pacman cartridges. They look similar to Famicom cartridges. Any ideas?

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
My first console was a NES given to my brother and I around 1986. I didn't know what it was when the gift was first unwrapped; it's not something I had asked for. My dad used to be into gadgets, so I guess he thought it would be a cool gift. To this day it's probably the best gift he ever got us. Our first games? 1942 and Sky Kid. Our NES did not come with Super Mario Brothers. I assume he bought it before they were even bundling it.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I dont even remember what the fuck the console was called. It had a build in keyboard & i remember using the keyboard to move as my dad didn't buy any controllers for it or it may not even have controllers for it. The three games we had was Galaga, Dig Dug, & Pacman cartridges. They look similar to Famicom cartridges. Any ideas?

drugz

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
NES. Later on mom told me she purchased the nes instead of a 2600 because at the time the nes was cheaper.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
NES. Later on mom told me she purchased the nes instead of a 2600 because at the time the nes was cheaper.

That makes no sense. The 2600 was basically dead by the time the NES came out. They had launched the 2600jr by the time the NES was out and it was like 50 bucks. Atari had the 7800 to compete with the NES...and I believe even it was cheaper.

I started on an Atari 400 computer.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Clear Play-it-loud Gameboy. Played the shit out of it until 98 when I got an N64.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I pretty much inherited a bunch from my brothers and parents.

By the time I was four or so and started playing games we already had a 2600, NES, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear. They weren't technically mine until my brothers moved out and left them for me many years later, but I was always allowed to play them growing up.

The first systems I got that were "for me" were the Saturn and Super Nintendo, some time around 1996.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
My first console was a NES "Control Deck" set (SMB w/ 2 controllers) for Christmas 1987. I was 10. I got my NES right as it hit it's peak, when Nintendo was seemingly the center of your world if you were old enough to play games and young enough that you didn't care much about girls yet. I also got LoZ at the same time.

Sometime in the fall of 1990, I got my first computer, which was an 8088-based IBM clone from "Epson". Had dual DD 5.25" floppies and a green monochrome monitor. No mouse, no sound card, no hard drive (I added them later). It was a little bit behind the times when I got it, but I thought it was the most badass thing ever because I had wanted a computer since I was a little kid. All it game with were the original manuals and software, so I got DOS 3.3, GW BASIC, and Lotus 1-2-3. No games. So I would just dick around making BASIC programs at first. Right after I got the computer I was telling someone about it in P.E. class, and another kid overheard me. I guess he was happy to hear that someone else at school had a computer, and we quickly because good friends. Turned out that his dad was a game programmer for Sierra, so he had basically every game that they ever made, plus a bunch of other shit. We both got Sega Genesis systems in 1991, but by and large I turned my back on console gaming during those years because I was really in to gaming on the computer (I upgraded mine, obviously.) Didn't really get exited about a console again until the Playstation.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
ah, yes, the 'ol SEGA GENESIS, X-mas of '89. parents got me the very first ALTERED BEAST-bundled MOD. 1 set
from TOYS R' US for $189.99, and one extra game, THUNDER FORCE II.

that was an experience unlike any other that i still remember well; me, almost 9 years old, sucking down danish butter cookies
from the colossal-ass tin that grandma gave us for x-mas there, clumsily struggling at this brand-new "video game" thing,
crashing my space-fighter like mad time and again into the barrier walls on STAGE 1 of THUNDER FORCE II.

for whatever reason, -probably because i've always been such a retard- it took me the longest time
to grasp that the object of TF STAGE 1's "barrier walls" was to find the destructible segments;
instead, i figured out all the base locations, the proceeded to crash my way to them,
hoping, -but never quite managing- to get all the damn bases before i ran myself out of lives with those kamikaze noob-ass tactics.

eventually, -perhaps sooner than i seem to remember- i figured out TF II, -STAGE 1, at least-
and perhaps a month at most after X-mas, probably for my B-day, -JAN. 23, in fact-
my mum bought me two more launch titles; REVENGE OF SHINOBI and RAMBO III.
from then on, mommy, spoiling my lousy worthless ass as always, was regularly buying me Genny games at least once a month,
and i had quite a Genny collection built up by the time mom picked me up a large used NES collection off the newspaper ads
for like $80/100 sometime in '90. from there on, i was a full-fledged gamer, my mom buying me most every major console since,
SNES, SEGA SATURN, PS1, N64, PS2, GAME CUBE, Wii, PS3, and, quite possibly, PS4 for my sister's upcoming birthday next month,
thanks to my father, if he comes through on that, which is questionable. in the last half decade, i added the NEO AES and SEGA DREAMCAST
to the collection, the AES for $300 or so off a japanese EBAY seller, and the DC in a $40 bundle at my local GOODWILL.
i also wouldn't mind adding a PC Engine/TG16 and possibly a MOD.1 SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, eventually.

indeed, i have been fortunate, as i still have every one of the consoles i grew up with, being lucky
to have had such generous parents that never, ever required me to trade anything up for the Next Big Thing.
indeed, they were against the concept of building a collection just to sell it off like that,
and yet were somehow more than willing to do it all over again repeatedly for every blasted new piece of hardware
what got chucked out the door every half-decade or so. i've been a seriously spoiled gamer, yes indeed i know...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The first console I had was a 2600. The first "computer" was a C64.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
My first console was a dedicated Pong unit. My uncle found it in a junk yard while he was searching for car parts and let me have it.

First console was a Commodore 64. I saw the "Test Pilot" box at the local Right-Aid(imagine that) and begged my parents to get it for me. Best computer I ever had.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Did some research & it turns out my first console was called an M5 either Sord or Takara brand, dont remember but they seem the same. Looks like there were more then 3 games for it, my dad told us that was all the games that came out. Yeah we had Pac Attack(update Pacman), Galax(Galaga), & Dig Dug, these were pretty legit games & seem the best out the bunch.

Sord_M5_WithBasicCart_s1.jpg
$_57.JPG

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
First system I ever got was a green gameboy color with pokemon yellow. I remember playing the crap out of it trying to get high enough level to beat Brock when I found out Nidoran learned double kick at 12 and curb stomped the sinister Onix.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I spent a ton of time on my uncle's Atari 800XL and friend's 7800. My first console was a NES action set we got for Christmas of 1988….holy shit, was that awesome. I still play video games to this day but none have that "something" that the NES and SNES had. Perhaps it was my age (11 when I got my NES, 15 summer of '92 when I got my SNES)…who knows.

Either way…those systems were down right magical...

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
My first system was a 2600 and the first computer was a tandy. I was told 3.5 inch disks were the way to go...I thought it was crap that my last ninja didn't play as well as it did on my buddy's 64.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I had an atari. Use to love endurance and cosmic ark

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Forgot to mention my first PC. It was a sad, used, 133MHz first series Pentium box with who knows how small amount of ram...got it way late in the game, sometime around 1998.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
NES in 1987ish.

I think we got a Macintosh Plus or SE around the same time.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
first thing i remember playing games on was a Commodore 64... outrun... boulderdash... some golf game... many others i don't really remember

first console i believe i had was the atari 2600... was a weird one that i believe only came out in Aus... looked like the atari jr but had 120 or so games built in