I'm pretty sure you Retron5 haterz are mildly retarded...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My buddy had one of these things, yes everything looked and sounds amazing, but the problems turned me against getting one. It is so picky about reading games (they can't have a spec of dust on the contacts) that every time we tried to play something we would have to re-clean it. Another issue is many of the games were not recognized, though this may have been fixed with some updates. I really want to love this thing, but as of right now the problems hold me back from buying one.

I can't get over how brilliantly clean these games look on this thing...seriously, it's that good.

And I keep hearing about lag...I played NES Contra through, zero issues and you all know how tight the controls can be on that game.

I've only had a few "fail to read" so far and all it requires is a re-seating. Personally, I think the thing needs a 1-2 second built in lag before it attempts to read the cart, I think that would clear it up.

I hope someone hacks this thing to work with a PS3 controller...that would be awesome...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I played with one this weekend while down in Texas.

I can't comment on how accurate emulation is (since I only played it for a couple minutes and with just one game), however I can comment about the wireless controller.

It's complete and total garbage. I would advise leaving it in the box if possible.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I played with one this weekend while down in Texas.

I can't comment on how accurate emulation is (since I only played it for a couple minutes and with just one game), however I can comment about the wireless controller.

It's complete and total garbage. I would advise leaving it in the box if possible.

Yeah...I took it out of the package, felt the "clicky-clicky" buttons, wrapped it back up and put it back in the box...no thanks.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Yeah...I took it out of the package, felt the "clicky-clicky" buttons, wrapped it back up and put it back in the box...no thanks.

I accepted that the controller sucked from the beginning and always intended on using my OEM beat down controllers. It mainly works for me to use for longer RPGs such as Dragon Warrior where I have a dedicated hotkey for overclocking.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I got to play with one earlier in the week, I was impressed by the picture quality. However I was playing some shit 3 in 1 SNES homebrew garbage cart and using the stock controllers.

If it was half the price I'd own one just to cut out the PC jiggering/system mess/upconverter etc. and have a nice little all in one box that can plug into a modern TV with 6 button genesis controller support.

I can't wait till it gets it's OS hacked and you can load roms right off an SD card. If it had that and PCE/TG16 and 80s-mid 90s JAMMA support I'd be all over it. The whole cart thing is such a shitty gimmick.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I got to play with one earlier in the week, I was impressed by the picture quality. However I was playing some shit 3 in 1 SNES homebrew garbage cart and using the stock controllers.

If it was half the price I'd own one just to cut out the PC jiggering/system mess/upconverter etc. and have a nice little all in one box that can plug into a modern TV with 6 button genesis controller support.

I can't wait till it gets it's OS hacked and you can load roms right off an SD card. If it had that and PCE/TG16 and 80s-mid 90s JAMMA support I'd be all over it. The whole cart thing is such a shitty gimmick.

I agree...the no-rom thing is a joke. One I hope will be fixed sooner or later by others. Like I said, I'm still wondering if Hyperkin will get used for using others software. This is a primary reason why I got one now rather than later. I still think $139 is reasonable considering what it does.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I can't wait till it gets it's OS hacked and you can load roms right off an SD card. If it had that and PCE/TG16 and 80s-mid 90s JAMMA support I'd be all over it.

Rom support and Mame emulation would be a killer feature.

I'd definitely own one then. Stick it on a spare tv for some casual gaming.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, if you could load roms through the sd card our at least use a Everdrive I'd buy one full price right now.

Can somebody who has one if these and a copy of NES Punch Out tell me if they can beat Tyson? That's the ultimate lag test, I can only do it on real hardware on a crt.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I must be fully retarded but even with the roms support I'd still keep my systems + everdrives over this. I've never been too fond of clones and my $40 haxor Wii does a good job with the emulation already (Neo Geo, SNES, Genesis, NES, PC Engine, CPS1, CPS2 and small Mame roms). If I ever need Super 2×SaI or Super Eagle, my PC is here.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I must be fully retarded but even with the roms support I'd still keep my systems + everdrives over this. I've never been too fond of clones and my $40 haxor Wii does a good job with the emulation already (Neo Geo, SNES, Genesis, NES, PC Engine, CPS1, CPS2 and small Mame roms). If I ever need Super 2×SaI or Super Eagle, my PC is here.

Yup. The Wii Classic Controller is awesome for emulators.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
It pisses me off that the Retron5 doesn't allow flash carts to be played on it. They purposefully oppose it, as if they don't want to face the fact the product they make isn't some frankenstein bootleg clone itself.

Yeah yeah, I know "OMG EMULATOR AND ROM UR NOT PLAYING THE GAME"....but I wanted to have an all-in-one solution I could stick in a backpack and take with my projector to play any game I wanted at friend's houses.

Also, some games I put into this steaming pile of shit just prompt a message-- "Did you put in a SNES game backwards?"...Nope. I put in a just cleaned Mike Tyson punch-out in a COMPLETELY different slot.

Retron3>Retron5

/rant

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It pisses me off that the Retron5 doesn't allow flash carts to be played on it. They purposefully oppose it, as if they don't want to face the fact the product they make isn't some frankenstein bootleg clone itself.

Yeah yeah, I know "OMG EMULATOR AND ROM UR NOT PLAYING THE GAME"....but I wanted to have an all-in-one solution I could stick in a backpack and take with my projector to play any game I wanted at friend's houses.

Also, some games I put into this steaming pile of shit just prompt a message-- "Did you put in a SNES game backwards?"...Nope. I put in a just cleaned Mike Tyson punch-out in a COMPLETELY different slot.

Retron3>Retron5

/rant

Dumb question...but have you updated the thing?

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
Dumb question...but have you updated the thing?

Solid question. I guess I should have mentioned I haven't because I'm still thinking of selling it...I have heard the update nullifies a lot of issues in Hyperkin's defense.

@smokehouse Can you have a game in each slot yet? Also, what do you think the time frame on a hacked OS would be?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Solid question. I guess I should have mentioned I haven't because I'm still thinking of selling it...I have heard the update nullifies a lot of issues in Hyperkin's defense.

@smokehouse Can you have a game in each slot yet? Also, what do you think the time frame on a hacked OS would be?

I'm guessing they will never make it have the ability to have more than one slot full at a time...I'm not an expert on the thing but that seems like it would go against how the thing works.

As for updating the thing...you probably want to do that. It seems they've been fixing things as they go along...which is perfectly fine for me as long as they're working on it. Here's a list of the updates:

http://retron5.in/node/5

I was running v1.31 on my unit as it came out of the box, I went to v1.6 yesterday. I'm not sure what all is fixed but I know the NES cheats now work. Updating the thing seemed confusing at first but it was easy enough. Download the update, put it on a SD, put the SD in the system and it will auto-run. Once it is done it will erase the file automatically and write some goofy permission on the SD card. Go back to your PC, go the Retron site and upload the file the system wrote to the SD. You can then download a key that you must put back on the SD and into the system to unlock it (the update locks the system down until you do this). It's some goofy protection thing they're doing...not sure why.

As for hacking...I may be wrong but this thing screams to be hacked. Maybe no one will bite but I can't help but think someone will.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

Unless they totally replaced all the software with stuff they didn't steal, I think they've still got a few issues.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I'm still REALLY on the fence about this! I've already got my bases covered with Wii U+Homebrew channel, but I still want to give my carts the love they deserve. Every time I think I've talked myself out of getting one (Reasoning usually falling under 1)My Everdrives won't work in it. 2)WiiU + Homebrew = why are you still even thinking about this. 3)Face it, what you -really- want is an XRGB, this is just a much cheaper solution) I keep getting the want back in my head (reasoning following 1)It's damn convenient to have all those options in 1 box, scaled up pretty nicely. Using all my OG controllers is icing on the cake! 2) Costs way less than an XRGB 3)Wife really wants to play her old Pokemon carts on TV).

Worth adding that I know if I buy one, I'm not buying a substitute for all my OG hardware (which is obviously the best way to play), merely a convenient solution.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm still REALLY on the fence about this! I've already got my bases covered with Wii U+Homebrew channel, but I still want to give my carts the love they deserve. Every time I think I've talked myself out of getting one (Reasoning usually falling under 1)My Everdrives won't work in it. 2)WiiU + Homebrew = why are you still even thinking about this. 3)Face it, what you -really- want is an XRGB, this is just a much cheaper solution) I keep getting the want back in my head (reasoning following 1)It's damn convenient to have all those options in 1 box, scaled up pretty nicely. Using all my OG controllers is icing on the cake! 2) Costs way less than an XRGB 3)Wife really wants to play her old Pokemon carts on TV).

Worth adding that I know if I buy one, I'm not buying a substitute for all my OG hardware (which is obviously the best way to play), merely a convenient solution.

The thing is what it is...it is a convenient home console.

I've said it here before, it won't appeal to everyone but to those that it does appeal to, its awesome.

I don't have a designated gaming area anymore so I don't leave my systems hooked up all of the time. Hell, most of my systems are in storage. There literally has been times when I want to play a game, begin to chew on how much digging I have to do to set it up and I land up saying "screw it".

Like I said earlier, I have a small 32" LED in my bedroom. I hooked up a 20' HDMI cable to it and shoved the Retron under my bed. I hooked up one SNES controller and that's it...I'm done. Slide it out, pop in a cart and I'm good to go. I can save-state the game if I get tired of it or run out of time and come back to it later.

The system that is easy to pick up is the one I'll play. This is the reason why I got a Retron...it fits my needs perfectly.

Concerning ROMs...

Truth be told...I already have most of the games I'd ever want anyway. I was chewing on this earlier today. I started collecting back in the mid 90s. I got my hands on a ton of games and I've had 1000s of them pass through my home before I hung up active collecting sometime around 2008-9. There are only a scant few games I wish I had but don't...and that list is small. I have some 100 or so NES games and really...I have too many now. I have 25 or so REALLY good SNES games and besides Earthbound...I can't really think of any more I really want. I have limited game time anymore and I cycle games I really like throughout the year, I really don't need any more.

I would probably just land up being a ROM whore. I'd DL entire libraries and land up playing the same damn games I already own. The ONLY exception to this rule would be Famicom titles...to which I only have 3 or 4. I'd like to try out more but don't want to screw with it. Outside of that...I'd be like any other ROM guy with 10,000+ ROMs that I never play.

Lastly...the Retron isn't a replacement...but it is insurance. My CRT's won't last forever and new TVs don't play nice with composite video signals. The Retron is a nice way to know I can play my original carts for years to come.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Lastly...the Retron isn't a replacement...but it is insurance. My CRT's won't last forever and new TVs don't play nice with composite video signals. The Retron is a nice way to know I can play my original carts for years to come.

So is a Framemeister. And who plays their consoles in composite video anymore?!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So is a Framemeister. And who plays their consoles in composite video anymore?!

I do…if that's all I have available. My NES/X'Eye are composite only and I don't have any plans on modding it. I can run my SNES/N64/PS1/PS2 S-video but I only have 1 set that will do that anymore. I do have component cables for my Gamecube.