Recca

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
So I was downloading Pokemon Trozei last night and saw this game on the 3DS virtual console so I downloaded it too.

Holy shit this game is hard. I'm not sure if it's hard because the game plays so fast, or because on a small screen it's hard to manuever, but I'm guessing it's a little of both. The screen is always so busy... maybe I'm just getting old. Any pointers for a first time recca player?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's pretty awesome. It's actually the version they used for the summer carnival tourney in Japan. It's damn hard. The first time I played the level one boss handed me my ass.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I also have it on the 3DS and yes it's hard as nails for me as well. I suppose there is some remembering of patterns in order to make it through this one.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I bought myself an NES repro of the Recca Pure hack. (because I suck, and wanted access to the extra modes without beating the game.)

Awesome game. It moves enemies onto and off of screen much faster than a lot of other shooters to compensate a bit for the hardware's inability to have too much going on at once. It's a neat trick to up the intensity but that makes pattern memorization pretty hard in this one. I got a fair ways in memorizing a few things by landmarks, but don't have any specific tips. IIRC there are a few cheapish horizontal enemy sweeps to remember. Slowing down the ship speed helps on a few bosses that require extra precision to weave through bullets--speed change is an easy feature to forget about when the boss appears, but it can help out.

One thing I really liked was the mode where the enemies shot bullets at you when destroyed. Kind of a huge risk/reward there. Run peaceful with the charge-shot-shield or lose it to shoot them for more points. Just nuts.

What I remember most about the game is that the slowdown is a real life saver. Does the 3ds version replicate that? If it doesn't--well that'll make it pretty damn tough.

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I haven't beaten the game but I can pretty reliably get to level 3 or 4 each time I play. Here's some small tips:

You need a weapon that shots fast and protects the ship from the front, since hardly any baddies come from the rear. I stick with the "F" weapon for this reason. Also get the "F" front-firing side cannons as well. It took me awhile to realize that those were cannons, not shields. So if you don't know this already, you can make them fire with A.

A good way for dealing with the bullet hell bosses is to remember your charging shot. While it charges it absorbs most bullets. If you lay 2 of those right on the first boss you'll kill him within a few seconds. Don't try this strategy with the second boss. Just rapid-fire into his center core and stay between the beams he fires. He takes awhile to kill and I tend to lose a couple ships here because of the little ships he fires at you.

Beyond that for me it's all about reaction time and it falls apart quickly for me. However, this is an awesome game, and the quick pace makes it really fun to play on the go (even thought the 3DS D-pad makes be cramp up like a motherfucker.)

It's an awesome game, though. I'm so glad Nintendo is recognizing games like this and Nazo no Murasame Jo now (another virtual console game you MUST get if you haven't already).

otherside

n00b
I haven't been on the site for awhile, so I thought this was quite a coincidence.

I picked this bad boy up yesterday.

recca_bad_pic.jpg

Anyone else in Tokyo? I'm in Nakano-ku and have been looking for folks to hang out with.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I haven't been on the site for awhile, so I thought this was quite a coincidence.

I picked this bad boy up yesterday.

View attachment 19874

Anyone else in Tokyo? I'm in Nakano-ku and have been looking for folks to hang out with.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did it run you?

otherside

n00b
If you don't mind my asking, how much did it run you?

Less than 3 MAN. A very fair price considering this thing is PERFECT. No tobacco yellowing on the white part of label (or rear label) that I kind of expect from Famicom games in Japan.

I passed on a CIB copy and am thinking of picking it up anyway.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I actually fired this bad boy up not long ago off the ED. Gameplay its very fast paced, much faster than a lot of NES games and it's strangely addictive .

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I actually fired this bad boy up not long ago off the ED. Gameplay its very fast paced, much faster than a lot of NES games and it's strangely addictive .

Why is it strangely addictive?

It's only natural for a game that unique to be compelling.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Why is it strangely addictive?

It's only natural for a game that unique to be compelling.

I honestly believe its the quick deaths and fast pace that gave me that "just one more try" feeling. I could see myself improving, however incrementally, so it felt great playing through for a few min

otherside

n00b
I had to look it up. 1 MAN = 10,000 yen. So 3 MAN = 30,000 yen = ~$280.

Sorry, I'm used to posting gaijin forums right now. You are correct, less than ¥30000.

Now on the look out for CIB Tatsujin...maybe a loose Crisis Force...

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
its a great game but it has some mad flicker on stages 3 and beyond.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Recca and Crisis Force really push the system and you're right, the flicker can be a bit much. BUT DAT PARALLAX SCROLLING! They are both sooooo good.

Not to mention the early-90's rave soundtrack.

I need to try Crisis Force. I'm ashamed to say I haven't played it, but I hear it's tits. It's Konami, so I'm sure it rules. Time to load up the everdrive...

housethemous

New Challenger
I bought a repro of this awhile back completely blind and was really happy with the game - regardless of the difficulty. It looks great on the NES and probably the best shmup available on the system IMO.

I just downloaded this title last night and I had no idea the nes had such fast paced shmups. Any others I should look for?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I just downloaded this title last night and I had no idea the nes had such fast paced shmups. Any others I should look for?

For NES? The Guardian Legend has some parts that are really fast (at least the Fami version, though I don't think there are any differences in this case)