RGB Scart - correct 4:3 aspect ratio selection via DC-to DC convertor - mod with pics

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
By way of an intro, a cool feature of using RGB on a Scart equipped consumer TV is auto input and aspect ratio selection and RGB mode selection. This realized through passing the appropriate voltage through Pin 8 (0–2 V → off, +5–8 V → on/16:9, +9.5–12 V → on/4:3) and Pin 16 (0–0.4 V → composite, 1–3 V → RGB).

Obviously for retro gaming one wants the 4:3 aspect ratio, but the problem that comes into play is that not all consoles output 9-12V through the AV out connector. An example of this is the NTSC SNES or a Mega Drive as well as machines retrofitted with RGB (e.g. PC Engine). The result is a 16:9 image upon power up and the need to manually change the aspect ratio each time the power switch is flicked e.g. when changing a cart – pretty annoying.

Below is a quick guide on how this can be rectified, through the use of a DC to DC convertor using the PCE as an example.

The convertor in question – a QLT POWER QDC1S-0512S:

P1010906.JPG

Converts 5V into 12V and is small enough to fit into a scart plug hood.
All wired up:

P1010907.JPG

The terminals are input GND, input +5V (yellow), output GND, output +12V (red). Grounds (black) have been connected together.
Standard PCE scart plug gives 5V on Pin 8 and Pin 16 getting c.a. 3V though a 180ohm resistor:

P1010908.JPG

Connected up – red to pin 8 and yellow to the 5V line. +5V from the console goes to the DC-to-DC convertor and to Pin 16 via the resistor:

P1010909.JPG

Final step which I did before closing everything up is to wrap the DC-to-DC convertor in electric tape. As a guidance, longer wires aid being able to maneuver / move the convertor around the scart plug so that it can be closed up without any hassles:

P1010910.JPG

End result upon power on:

P1010915.JPG

Top right corner – correct AV input is selected and RGB in enabled
Bottom middle – correct 4:3 aspect ratio is selected
Bottom right corner – stereo sound is enabled

Hope this comes in useful for someone – obviously more applicable to folks with Euro spec Scart TVs than PVM / BVM’s but pretty neat all the same. In terms of approximate costs, I got the convertor from a local electronics store for c.a. $5 so probably can get one for less online.

Thanks for reading! :glee:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Nice!

That cable looks familiar. ;)

Yeah, thought you might recognize it ;)
Quite surprised actually how small this convertor is. The official Sega Mega Drive RGB cable ('Adapteur R.V.B.') for the French market Mega Drive had such a convertor built in but it wasn't one integrated package but loads of caps, resistors, some sort of chip etc. and the box containing all the bits and bobs incl. caps and resistors for RGB lines was roughly the size of a small PSU. Guess things have moved on a bit since then :)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice work. Any places got it cheaper than $5 a pop?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Nice work. Any places got it cheaper than $5 a pop?

I found the below pricing under the following link http://www.tme.eu/en/details/qdc1s-0512s/dcdc-converters/qlt-power/# but to be honest I still think its quite expensive:
1+ $ 4.74
5+ $ 4.40
25+ $ 4.06
100+ $ 3.66

It might be worthwhile trying to search whether a generic version of such a convertor exists or one made by a different manufacturer or whether anything similar is available on e.g. alibaba.com

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hi,

You can use this for 0.77€ if you don't need to put it in the SCART

http://www.ebay.es/itm/5v-to-12v-St...817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339566e209

Or this for 2.56$, but you need to buy 10.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-D...-supply-modules-Free-shipping/1730096474.html

Un saludo

The second one seems to offer good value - seems pretty much identical in size / function to the one I used but is a good deal cheaper.
As for the first one, as you mentioned one aspect is its size, the other is that its a DIY kit.

At the risk of stating the obvious, usually the problem is not generating the extra voltage since this is actually available in the console (most machines have PSU's which kick out >9V DC e.g. Mega Drive, PC Engine, SNES) but being able to run it to the scart plug. In most cases there are no free pins on the AV out and installing such a convertor in the scart is less hassle then changing the AV out socket for another one. That said there are cases where the standard AV out can be rewired e.g. on NTSC SNES or Sega Saturn one can substitute the csync line for the PSU DC voltage, obviously not forgeting to rewire the scart plug end of the cable.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Or you can just cut the 5v track going to the connector and wire it to 9v or whatever.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
it can also be done with a lm1881 and a couple of diodes.

I did it once. But using a single component to do the job cuts a lot of time.
Cool thing ;)

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, if you are looking into doing this mod you may want to hold off for a while. It seems that the DC-DC convertor is generating interference which is visible on the display in the form of ripples going back and forth. I have checked the datasheet for this convertor but all it really says is that 'for lower noise and ripple, please connect a 'LC' filter at the output'.
There is also the below diagram but no capacitor values are given:

dccon.png

In terms of ideas on how to proceed:
- think of some filtering to eliminate the interference (question of how large the components / circuit will be and will it fit in the scart plug)
- think of some way in which this device would turn off automatically after it gives the required 12V burst at startup to trigger 4:3 aspect ratio (from what I understand all that is really needed is a quick burst, the 12V can then be switched off)

Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

The B0512s-1w from aliexpress (2nd link above) doesn't need external componets according to its datasheet, so it is a good alternative.

Un saludo

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hi,

The B0512s-1w from aliexpress (2nd link above) doesn't need external componets according to its datasheet, so it is a good alternative.

Un saludo

It might be worth a try but my feeling is that to get this functioning the way it should a more complicated circuit is required.
I guess there is a reason why the Mega Drive has quite an elaborate DC-DC convertor circuit in the official Scart lead. Also turns out that PAL SNES actually has a 12V voltage pump built into the machine and again it is a more complex circuit - one would imagine that these are there for a reason since if they could get away with just adding a bare convertor or hooking up the DC voltage from the PSU to Pin 8 of the Scart via the AV connector then they just wouldn't have bothered to complicate / increase the cost of the solution.

What I might do is if I find another official Sega Adapteur RVB lead I might have a look at trying to use / replicate the circuit (appears to be based on a TI TL497ACN) inside that. Only thing is that as mentioned it is not a solution that will fit into the scart plug hood and required a box to be attached somewhere on the cable:

adapteur_rvb_board_144.jpg

Pic from smspower.org

With the PCE in mind I guess if one were to use that box an option could be to fit the RGB amp inside that and that way have the whole solution integrated in the cable with option for further mods e.g. one could possibly add some pots for the brightness of the colour lines.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

For non scart solution you can find the ebay link (first above).

Un saludo

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hi,

For non scart solution you can find the ebay link (first above).

Un saludo

Thing is that I have no assurance that that circuit will function any better than the DC-to-DC convertor which I already have whereas with the Adapteur rvb one I am perfectly sure how this functions since I use one to connect my Mega Drive.

PS. below are the schematics for the Adapteur RVB - as mentioned the DC-DC convertor circuit contains a fair number of parts:

segargb1.png

Last edited: