Portland Retrogaming Expo Oct 18-19, 2014

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
There was one candy with TSS and MotW in it last year, and a mini cute that didn't work. I was happy just playing all those Asteroid machines.

Those were both mine. The cute worked flawlessly BEFORE I loaded it on the truck, but something came un-settled during transport and I didn't have the tools to diagnose the problem during the show. (Cold solder joint.)
Plugging that cab in after a move is literally the scariest feeling.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'm at PRGE gentlemen. Currently wearing a black and white neo geo baseball tee and have a brown puzzle fighter messenger bag around my shoulders.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm at PRGE gentlemen. Currently wearing a black and white neo geo baseball tee and have a brown puzzle fighter messenger bag around my shoulders.
Damn. You going tomorrow as well, shadowkn55? I'm gonna be there later in the morning. I'll probably have my backpack that says "Aloha" and "Maui Built" on the back or at least a shirt with that logo on it.

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger

Hahaha, shit. I didn't realize that was you until I saw your name on the auction items list. I even commented on your shirt earlier in the day too.

Other sort-of-forum-related note: I saw someone at the show wearing a Windy Gaming tee as well.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Hahaha, shit. I didn't realize that was you until I saw your name on the auction items list. I even commented on your shirt earlier in the day too.

Other sort-of-forum-related note: I saw someone at the show wearing a Windy Gaming tee as well.

I missed the Windy tee person I guess.

I was there both days. Had my 1CC 1943 shirt on Saturday. And hung out w/Quan a bit Saturday as well.

I did see someone today with the 1CC Compile shirt on. But by the time I realized that was a 1CC shirt and the guy was probably a forum member he'd passed by and I didn't feel like trying to go run down some random stranger when all I wanted to do was be home and sleep.

Just be prepared, Portland is like the hipster capitol of the world.

We may have a lot of hipster tryhards, but we pretty much are the greatest city in the US. You know, it's just a fact.

The show was great! Only complaint is that they need to space out the arcade cabs more. Not only are you squeezed tight with your opponent, but the smelly nerds playing neighboring cabs are bumping you too. That shit got old. I was the tall dude bouncing between SSF2 Turbo, MvC2 and MKII wearing the black "You have died of dysentery" Oregon Trail tee. Maybe I fought some of you and didn't know?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Only complaint is that they need to space out the arcade cabs more. Not only are you squeezed tight with your opponent, but the smelly nerds playing neighboring cabs are bumping you too.

Yeah, that's why I didn't hang out too much in that area. Should drop them a note about that for next year.

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
I missed the Windy tee person I guess.

I did see someone today with the 1CC Compile shirt on. But by the time I realized that was a 1CC shirt and the guy was probably a forum member he'd passed by and I didn't feel like trying to go run down some random stranger when all I wanted to do was be home and sleep.
Windy tee was spotted on Saturday morning. I only saw him once.

If the 1CC Compile was being worn by a fat guy with a whiteboy afro and a beard on Sunday, it was me. I volunteered most of Friday and Saturday, but after about noon on Sunday, I was more or less in the same, tired state. I actually passed by a few people I work with on a daily basis and didn't realize it was them until they called me out on not paying attention.

Overall, it was a pretty good weekend. Luckily (for my wallet), there wasn't much available in the MVS department. One vendor had a small stack of commons and Money Idol Exchanger, but I already had them and the prices weren't spectacular. If I could have at least broken even I'd have picked them all up and passed them along to the forums.
There were some more commons and a handful of mini marquees at one of the PAC tables in the arcade area, but nothing to write home about.

I came home with a tiny PVM and the most minty Super Famicom on the show floor. I paused to think about the Hanshin Tigers or Char's Custom GameCube, but ultimately decided against both.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
We may have a lot of hipster tryhards, but we pretty much are the greatest city in the US. You know, it's just a fact.

The show was great! Only complaint is that they need to space out the arcade cabs more. Not only are you squeezed tight with your opponent, but the smelly nerds playing neighboring cabs are bumping you too. That shit got old. I was the tall dude bouncing between SSF2 Turbo, MvC2 and MKII wearing the black "You have died of dysentery" Oregon Trail tee. Maybe I fought some of you and didn't know?

Yeah, the cabs were far too tight up on each other. I didn't even bother trying to play em too often because of that. Got some time in on things Sunday morning before it was crowded. Didn't fucking bother later in the day. I don't recall seeing you as I didn't spend much time in the arcade, but I'm sure you had to have played SSF2 Turbo w/Quan's friend. He was on that cab a lot on Saturday.

Oh, and BTW... Portland sucks. I hate trying to get anywhere around there.

Windy tee was spotted on Saturday morning. I only saw him once.

If the 1CC Compile was being worn by a fat guy with a whiteboy afro and a beard on Sunday, it was me. I volunteered most of Friday and Saturday, but after about noon on Sunday, I was more or less in the same, tired state. I actually passed by a few people I work with on a daily basis and didn't realize it was them until they called me out on not paying attention.

Overall, it was a pretty good weekend. Luckily (for my wallet), there wasn't much available in the MVS department. One vendor had a small stack of commons and Money Idol Exchanger, but I already had them and the prices weren't spectacular. If I could have at least broken even I'd have picked them all up and passed them along to the forums.
There were some more commons and a handful of mini marquees at one of the PAC tables in the arcade area, but nothing to write home about.

I came home with a tiny PVM and the most minty Super Famicom on the show floor. I paused to think about the Hanshin Tigers or Char's Custom GameCube, but ultimately decided against both.

Yes, that was you I spotted Sunday then. I was rather wore out, and you seemed to be going somewhere with a purpose so I didn't try and run ya down and ask if you were on the forum.

I saw those MVS carts as well. I was tempted by the Slug to upgrade mine. And the MPE as mine has audio issues. But I passed on em hoping that my MPE can be fixed.

I didn't pick anything up. I'd won the "GameBoy Light" in the auction. But it turned out to be a regular GB Pocket. So the seller refunded me on that as he didn't know the difference between a Pocket & Light. And since I hadn't picked up anything and got my $ back from the auction I decided to try for that 70" LCD raffle. No luck there either... :(

But it was fun. Loved the auction and the Sega panel. Would probably come again someday. Would just come down the night before and not drive down the morning of, and would bring moar $$$ for the auction.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Barely made it home in a one piece. I left the show early so I could make it home before sunrise. Driving 14 hours straight is pretty tiring. I'll have some more up after I get some rest.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I probably shoulda left when you did Quan. I stayed until the TV raffle, and didn't win. Then caught lovely traffic getting out of Portland and even more fun driving through Tacoma...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Barely made it home in a one piece. I left the show early so I could make it home before sunrise. Driving 14 hours straight is pretty tiring. I'll have some more up after I get some rest.

Holy...You drove from SoCal up? Damn.

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
Barely made it home in a one piece.

GqNa9fi.jpg

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
No slight against hipsters, I've learned to accept them. I just get annoyed at all the things from my childhood they think are cool now, that they never truly experienced the hype of when they were fresh and new. Also they're fucking up my retro gaming market prices dammit.

But other than the Arcade Scene, and the craft beer in Portland, I really have no other reason to go there. There isn't really any sites that are on "my list" to see, the culture is still the same laid-back west coast vibe, and their pro sports team (s?) aren't so great anyways.
As an outsider, I would say Portland is a nice clean city, definitely not the greatest though. ;)

nhm

n00b
FYI, tickets are already on sale for this year. You thought last year was big? Floor space is going from 60,000 last year to 90,000sqft this year. 30k for arcades, and 60k for vendors. I'm the guy selling posters every year. http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/

Last edited: