Over the counter medication for...

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
After reading through the insomniac thread, it seems people are pretty knowledgeable about various medications. Sometimes, my mind races and I find it difficult to stop thinking about things; work, meetings, stuff like that. I don't know if it can be called anxiety. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that helps me stop thinking is sleep. While this does not effect the way I go through the day, I would prefer not to be consumed by these thoughts.

Is there medication for this kind of issue? Would it be possible to obtain something over the counter, or would it have to be prescribed? What would it be?

Let me be clear, I am not looking to abuse any substances, but rather use legal medication as prescribed. Any insight and experiences would be helpful as I am not the kind to go to doctors unless absolutely necessary.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
After reading through the insomniac thread, it seems people are pretty knowledgeable about various medications. Sometimes, my mind races and I find it difficult to stop thinking about things; work, meetings, stuff like that. I don't know if it can be called anxiety. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that helps me stop thinking is sleep. While this does not effect the way I go through the day, I would prefer not to be consumed by these thoughts.

Is there medication for this kind of issue? Would it be possible to obtain something over the counter, or would it have to be prescribed? What would it be?

Let me be clear, I am not looking to abuse any substances, but rather use legal medication as prescribed. Any insight and experiences would be helpful as I am not the kind to go to doctors unless absolutely necessary.

Sounds like ADHD, you would need to go see your doctor and describe your problem.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anxiety.

My friend had it. Couldn't sleep at night. They prescribed her shit and it worked. It also helped her a lot with other things in her life.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Do you exercise at all?
What about playing a video game or something to take your mind of things and focus it. I'd much rather seek out meditation or something else that will naturally focus your mind before taking some pill made by pharma.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd see someone about a possible prescription for something. I don't want to name any meds here or suggest to you that you should look into specific meds, but if you discuss your symptoms it should be easier to find a solution.

Now if your doc tells you about a few meds, find out what they are generally used for. I know Trazodone is often prescribed as a sleeping agent but it also has antipsychotic properties. Just make sure you know what your taking.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Do you exercise at all?
What about playing a video game or something to take your mind of things and focus it. I'd much rather seek out meditation or something else that will naturally focus your mind before taking some pill made by pharma.
I second what balls said. Try to find a natural way to ease your mind before resorting to meds.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I can't really think of a non-troll response. In this case if you're not looking to use a drug as a crutch your best bet is probably to ask a professional. There might be like heat pads or aromas or teas, but a specific drug that you can take without it being prescribed by a doctor? Can't think of one...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Stop drinking caffeine and work out. After a few days you'll get the best sleep you've ever had.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Do you exercise at all?

Actually, after working out regularly I did find it much easier to fall asleep, I guess in lieu of other things, I'd recommend this if you haven't tried getting into a work-out schedule.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Damn, I really didn't want to see a doctor; this is kind of embarrassing. I haven't had to talk to a doctor about something like this. Besides, I don't have a family doctor so it would have to be walk-in clinic. I don't know what its like in the U.S., but here, you get about 15 minutes tops to see a doctor.

I am trying to do other things like go to the gym, like today, but I feel I may have to resort to medication. Still, I hope to make the gym a regular thing. I have been feeling shitty ever since I started working overnights, not just physically. I doesn't feel right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Do you drink anything with caffeine? This affects sleep a lot more than most people realize.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You probably don't need a doctor. I have the exact problem, and I've been able to deal with it pretty well.
When i lay down, I my mind starts planning and solving issues that should be waiting for when I'm not trying to sleep.

The obvious
Restate what others have said. This is also the first thing a doctor would do, then charge you $$$ for stopping by:
No Caffine in the afternoon. None.
No Smoking.
Exercise. Any time of day. 30min

Drugs
Melatonin - This is less of a sleeping pill, and more of a pattern pill. It tells your body when it is time to sleep, and hopefully it naturally falls in place. This works real well if you need help adjusting your sleep pattern. It has worked for some of my co-workers, but I didn't need it.

Diphenhydramine aka Benadryl - This triggers drowsiness and puts you in the sleep mode. It simulates an immune response, and it harmless to you and your liver. This is often marketed as sleep aids in pain relievers. Tylenol PM, Advil PM, the PM is typically this.

doxylamine succinate aka Nyquil classic - This works in a similar method as Benadryl. It's used less, but you can also find it as the 'PM' ingredient in may meds.

Valerian - Prolly snake oil. Natural product with potential placebo effects if you are interested.

Unisom, Sominex, ZzzQuil...these are all one of the items listed above. So. it's usually MUCH cheaper to just buy OTC benadryl or some other product than to by a sleeping aid. I use offbrand benadryl at varying doses more than i would like to admit. None of these are chemically addictive. However, there can be habitual problems if you become dependant on them mentally to sleep.

There is also the chance you need to see a sleep counselor for a C-Pap or some other issue. Apparently I used to grind my teeth violently in my sleep, which is no longer the case.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Melatonin works wonders for me. It's not that it helps me fall asleep, but I sleep better on it. I don't wake up in the middle of the night as frequently. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. I don't take it every night, but if I know I need to be alert and ready the next morning that it will work for me.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Do you exercise at all?

I now what OP is talking about. Personally, I don't think doing anything like playing videogames or focusing on just one thing works. At least for me it doesn't; I just end up really obsessing about it keeping myself awake.

Not drinking caffine really helps too. I have bad hayfever in the Summer which messes with my sleep. Drowsy tablets really aid me with that.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
He did make one line that really sets this off. "I just started working overnight." When I started 3rd shift about 10 years ago it was everything I could do to fall asleep. I forced myself into a pattern. I noticed that a lot of my coworkers were going home at 6 in the morning and immediately going to sleep. Problem was they would wake around 2 and then couldn't sleep anymore. Your body is not used to shock it's getting as its been used to nighttime sleeping for X amount of years. What finally worked for me was to stay up after work and crash around noon. I would get up at 8 in the evening and felt great. I tried to tell my coworkers that and everyone just wrote me off. Those guys still have issues to this day. Also, overnight working for extended periods of time has been shown to accelerate the acquisition of cancer in many people, especially if it was hereditary in your family.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Damn, I really didn't want to see a doctor; this is kind of embarrassing. I haven't had to talk to a doctor about something like this. Besides, I don't have a family doctor so it would have to be walk-in clinic. I don't know what its like in the U.S., but here, you get about 15 minutes tops to see a doctor.

I am trying to do other things like go to the gym, like today, but I feel I may have to resort to medication. Still, I hope to make the gym a regular thing. I have been feeling shitty ever since I started working overnights, not just physically. I doesn't feel right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You've answered your own question here, you've felt shitty ever since you started working overnights.

You're now on a knife edge, this is the point where you either decide that no job is worth giving up your health for (because it isn't), or you become someone who takes powerful medication given out by doctors who couldn't really give a fuck about you and you end up medicated for the rest of your life. There are people all over this site who are fucked because of well meaning but lazy doctor's interventions.

You need to think about this one with a level head. The job isn't working for you. Don't mask the problem, do a different job.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
That makes sense because even if you're doing a 9-5 job, you don't get home at 530 and crash. You're up for a few hours then crash. I have probably stated this before but I worked 1230-2100 for 4 years. This isn't nearly as bad as graveyard but I would get home at 930 and couldn't go to sleep until like 130 or 2. As others stated, I would try natural things first and see if they work first. That relative I spoke of in an earlier thread did not go straight to prescriptions first. She actually started walking and picked up bike riding. She would ride for slightly over an hour a night and could still only get 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Once all those options have been exhausted and if you still aren't sleeping well, I would see a physician. I don't know what it's like in Canada but the type of medications that treat anxiety, the quick care facilities here in the US will not write scripts for them. Unless you find a shady doctor, you would probably have to become established with a general/family physician. And don't be ashamed to ask about those kinds of meds. Just be honest and explain what's going on in your life that you believe you need them and explain what steps you have taken to try and resolve your sleeping issue. Good luck man.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
You need to think about this one with a level head. The job isn't working for you. Don't mask the problem, do a different job.

That's what took care of my anxiety. Cut out the things in life making you unhappy.

That's what anxiety is, inner turmoil. Get rid of the causes. Making it sound easier than it is, it's work to do. But you'll be better for it in the long run.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
If you need meds, by all means seek them out from a professional rather than rely on otc stuff for long periods. If you use say diphendramine as a crutch for sleep problems for too long, it can adversely affect your health in other ways. Prescription drugs are powerful things that should not be trifled with, but if you have a specific need seek help for it. All that said, I recommend turning off your computers an hour before you want to go to sleep, and reading a book. It can be quite the shift to lower your activity level in such a way, but it can really pay dividends.

I don't do shift work regularly, but there are weeks where I'll have to work overnight a couple of times. It sucks to try staying sane.

I'd just recommend to use Benadryl and melatonin as needed. I'd agree that it's not a great thing to do to yourself though.

Anecdotally, I tried Ambien and wow.. I had a total blackout from it and it was scary. All I remember is taking it and going to bed. I woke up late morning, 10:30ish. What actually happened is that I got up at 7AM and cooked breakfast for my kids, fried eggs and a bunch of stuff. I got them fed and to school, then went back to sleep without remembering any of it. I don't even have the slightest glimmer of a memory from that morning.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Benadryl makes me exhausted the next morning... am I the only one?

I take it if I absolutely have to get up early and I can't fall asleep, but I suffer for it the next day.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I jerk off to sleep & its a great stress reliever...Just do it on your bed & have everything ready for cleanup so you dont have to get up or if you're just lazy, have it dry up & clean up next morning.

If that don work, trying get a prescription for Lorazepam...

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Benadryl makes me exhausted the next morning... am I the only one?

I take it if I absolutely have to get up early and I can't fall asleep, but I suffer for it the next day.

That is pretty much what I was talking about. Like you sleep, but you are fucked day 2.