Arcade Style Racing Games

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been playing Ridge Racer 4 and it reminded me of how fun racing games can be, aged as it may be. It does so many things right.

I have Initial D for PS2 but never really got into it. Also had a lot of fun with the older Burnout and NFS games in the PS2 era. Outrun 200?/SP etc. and quite a bit of RR 5 & 7. As well as Kaido Battle 1 & 2.

I guess what I'm looking for are recommendations of racers that are actually fun old or new. Simplified tuning and gameplay over car collecting and sim aspects.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Sega Rally Revo is a lot of fun. Just make sure you're playing in first person. Behind the car is unplayable.

I've been having a lot of fun with Dirt Showdown lately, too. It's not a true Dirt game, but it's a fun arcade style racing game with wacky mechanics.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Daytona XBL/PSN
Ridge Racer 7 PS3
Burnout Paradise PS3/360
Touge King Saturn
Crazy Taxi Various systems
Tokyo Extreme Racer series Various Systems

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
I recommend Hydro Thunder on Dreamcast. It's a really fun water-based racer. The later tracks can be really hard though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Original Ridge Racer
Burnout paradise
NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is one of my all time fav's.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Burnout 3: Takedown.

This. 1000 times. I've never played a more fun arcade racer than this game right here. The road rage mode can not be topped in this game. If only it were in HD so you could see farther ahead of you easier.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Burnout Revenge and Dirt are some of the most fun games I've ever played. I keep coming back to them even today.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I was playing a bit of Outrun 2 Coast to Coast on my PSP today. Great game to have on the go. The only Need for Speed game that I enjoyed was Need for Speed:The Run (Cannonball fan). If you get a chance to play it, give it a shot.

Other games to try:

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero (Shutoku Highway Battle series): Fun game that features highway racing. Lots of opponents featured, some only racing if you meet a certain criteria.

Burnout Series: A true guilty pleasure. Drive like an asshole and get rewarded for it.

Crash and Burn for the 3DO. Older combat racer that still appeals to me due to the style and quirks.

Wangan Midnight series: Similar to Shutoku Highway Battle , but based on the manga. Fun as hell to play in the arcade, especially if the machine prints out new player stat cards (drivers license).

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I love the Ridge Racer series. Was half expecting them to announce a new Ridge Racer on the current gen systems. Was Unbounded or the Vita game any good?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
F-Zero GX is, by a large margin, the greatest racing game of any sort, on any system, ever.

If Nintendo released that exact game every single year, I'd pay full price for it every single year.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I love the Ridge Racer series. Was half expecting them to announce a new Ridge Racer on the current gen systems. Was Unbounded or the Vita game any good?
No, unfortunately.

The Vita game has like 5 tracks and 3 cars (all directly ported from RR7), the rest is paid DLC. It has basically nothing for single player content, the online is dead because nobody has a Vita and nobody bought the game. It's undeniably the worst game in the series.

Unbounded was outsourced to some crappy developer. The physics suck and it plays nothing like a Ridge Racer game. It has a nice track editor, but that's about the only good thing going for it.

If you want a handheld Ridge Racer get the 3DS game (and make sure to download the updates, as they greatly improve the frame rate). Otherwise just get Ridge Racer 7 on PS3.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No one said Rush 2049 yet?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Definitely the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series. I liked the Project Gotham Racing series as well.

Rage Racer was one of my faves from the RR series.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Burnout Paradise is probably my favorite racing game in a very long time with expansions that really added to the game and made it much more fun.

Excite Truck and Excitebots were awesome on the Wii and might be my favorite racers on there.

The Motorstorm series on the PS3 is really really fun as well and I play the first one like crazy with my son and keep meaning to buy the sequels.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Burnout Revenge (360)
Hydro Thunder (DC/360)
Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
SF Rush Series (N64/DC)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
No, unfortunately.

The Vita game has like 5 tracks and 3 cars (all directly ported from RR7), the rest is paid DLC. It has basically nothing for single player content, the online is dead because nobody has a Vita and nobody bought the game. It's undeniably the worst game in the series.

Unbounded was outsourced to some crappy developer. The physics suck and it plays nothing like a Ridge Racer game. It has a nice track editor, but that's about the only good thing going for it.

If you want a handheld Ridge Racer get the 3DS game (and make sure to download the updates, as they greatly improve the frame rate). Otherwise just get Ridge Racer 7 on PS3.

I agree with everything here, but I would add that Ridge Racer 2 for the PSP is fantastic as well. I believe it was not released in the US, but definitely worth importing. I think its basically the same as the first PSP Ridge Racer game, but with more tracks I believe.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No one said Rush 2049 yet?

The Rush series in general has great replay, and the cabs were some serious fun. This would be my go to cab if I wanted one.

Does HydroThunder count? It has that Midway AI, but you can win with some practice and shortcuts.

There was a car chasing game that I can't remember. It was a twin co-op sitdown cab with some serious forcefeedback in the chair and wheel. You would chase a car through a modern city, and you really just had to catch them. That was an intense one as well. what is the name!?!?!!?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'd also recommend Cruis'n World and Cruis'n Exotica. Great games with really cool tracks. Cruis'n USA is also fun but the tracks are pretty bland.

Another would be Offroad Challenge. Good older trophy truck arcade racer with some neat courses, plus you can get monster truck versions of each truck :D

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
There was a car chasing game that I can't remember. It was a twin co-op sitdown cab with some serious forcefeedback in the chair and wheel. You would chase a car through a modern city, and you really just had to catch them. That was an intense one as well. what is the name!?!?!!?
Chase HQ?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler

Lucky & Wild?

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/namco/21008102.jpg

Voltron nailed it. Outrun 2 is my favorite. I wish I could have played it in the giant two player units they have in Japan. I also love the original. When I go to FunSpot up in New Hampshire it's always the first game I play and I try to make it the last game I play before I leave.

In the actual arcades Raw Thrills and Specular Interactive have been doing it right. Specular is made up of ex-Midway employees and it shows in their games. As of now they've made, H20verdrive, a more true sequel to Hydro Thunder then Hurricane is on XBLA, Dirty Drivin' and the new Batman game that lets you pick just about every version of the Batmobile ever, including The Animated Series. The problem is they make the games for arcades and they don't seem interested in porting them over to home consoles or PC's which is a shame because A LOT of people are going to miss out on the amazing games they make. What I really want is for them to get the rights from Disney to make a real Sugar Rush arcade game from Wreck-it Ralph.

In the arcades stay FAR AWAY from anything made by EA and Global VR. Their games fucking suck out loud. They've got some really shitty ones like Twisted: Stunt Racing, Need for Speed and their shitty NASCAR Arcade which is so bad you'll see people playing Daytona USA over that whenever I visit any Dave and Busters.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Chase HQ?

mid to early 2000's. Chase HQ is all i can find when I search for it.
Some serious motors in the seats that would lean you as you turned. Decent graphics, like Dreamcast PS2 level.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Arcade style racers are the only racers for me.

I love many games that were mentioned for the Dreamcast:
Sega Rally 2, Daytona USA, Sega GT, Hydro Thunder, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1/2. Also the Crusin games on N64 are a guilty pleasure. Rush 2049 rules.

Burnout 3 on the PS2 was very fun and engaging for me to a point, then after playing over a long period of time, it got frustrating and I haven't played it since.

Last edited: