Ps Vita: Worth getting yet?

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
That's a shame about the Vita, I've always wanted one to own one, but held back from buying it. I love my modded psp 3000.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Nice, I would def add these games below to it, tell me more about the Arcana game, is it a retail release or just DL? Also if you wouldn't mind elaborating about the screen, I'm totally new to the Vita, I know nothing.

Dead or Alive 5+ (If you want a solid fighter on the go)
Muramasa Rebirth
Arcana Hear 3 Love Max

The GF would love this big time.
Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth
Project Diva F & DJ Max Technica (Rhythm games)

Dead or Alive 5+ is a good buy if you can get it on the cheap. It's not being updated to the Ultimate/Last Round roster, so it'll always be behind, but if you're lazing about or on the go, it's a good way to have the series to go. Think if it as DOA5 lite and you won't be disappointed. They added a touch fighting mode, but it's a useless mode slot, at best. Never played it online (I usually play this game at the in-laws and they don't have internet), so not much help there, sry.

Muramasa Rebirth is the Wii game with improved story translation and some extra DLC modes. Even if you played the Wii version, it's worth the pick up.

Neptunia is the story of the first title but redone with the gameplay/mechanics of Victory, which was improved quite a bit from the first entry. Instead of the more traditional line up & command system, it uses the free movement/area attacks of the 2nd & 3rd entry. They also added more voice acting, cutscenes, etc. The experience is more dynamic all-around. They are also reproducing the 2nd and likely the 3rd will get the same treatment too.

Project Diva F is the Hatsune Miku rhythm game. The first one was released in the USA as a download only title for the PSV (and it received a disk release for the PS3 as well). Button presses fly into the screen and you keep up with the rhythm. Posted an example below. If you have an aversion to JPop, this may not be the game for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NWOKMb-fRvo#t=70

DJMAX Technika Tune is a touchscreen gameplay rhythm game. This video will do a better job of explaining it than words. It's a higher reaction/reflex game. Just ordered this one myself, excited to play it when it comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPbP3lbLuhs

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Makes sense, thanks for the heads up. I might not even buy it. The main thing is Ninja Gaiden, that's my game and only game that I have ever put more than 100 hours (All NG updates combined) into aside from fighting games.

Part 1 plays fine...Part 2 has frame rate issues to the point that it becomes unplayable when you have a few enemies on screen. They didn't port 3 for a reason.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just FYI. About a dozen titles at BestBuy.com are $9.99
Only one sport game i think.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Part 1 plays fine...Part 2 has frame rate issues to the point that it becomes unplayable when you have a few enemies on screen. They didn't port 3 for a reason.
Part one is the best, Black is the best but beggars can't be choosers.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
If you like the metal gear series they have the hd collection(it was on sale a while back really cheap) not sure if it was a cross buy as i already had gotten it on my ps3(it doesn't read disk games anymore so i play games from the hard drive)

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I've been thinking more and more about getting one, but there's just not enough on there that I'm interested in having on the go, right now. However, if I could somehow use all my emulators, ps1 and psp isos I have on my modded PSP in a Vita, I'd go buy one the instant I got paid.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I've been thinking more and more about getting one, but there's just not enough on there that I'm interested in having on the go, right now. However, if I could somehow use all my emulators, ps1 and psp isos I have on my modded PSP in a Vita, I'd go buy one the instant I got paid.

You can.... wololo is your friend.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
You can.... wololo is your friend.

I've skimmed through a bit of that, it doesn't look as simple as it does with an OG PSP. Certain games needed, certain firmwares, psp mode (I'm still not sure if that's an added after the fact thing, or if that's official) I might wait until a cfw hack appears that's as idiot proof as the one for the PSP

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I've skimmed through a bit of that, it doesn't look as simple as it does with an OG PSP. Certain games needed, certain firmwares, psp mode (I'm still not sure if that's an added after the fact thing, or if that's official) I might wait until a cfw hack appears that's as idiot proof as the one for the PSP

You're right, it's not as simple as installing CFW on psp, but it is still fairly simple as I've already done it on one of my vita's. The time consuption is copying over .iso or .cso since those files are in the GB ranges. The tutorials are wordy just for those who have not yet done it before and it's pretty straight forward.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
If you look for indie games yes, if you are looking for AAA games here, best try to find them elsewhere

fluxcore

Another Striker
I picked up a vita for quite cheap a couple of weeks ago... still haven't actually got a game for it yet, lol. There are a couple of things I'm keen to get when there are some good psn sales, danganronpa, ys... uhm...

I am getting p4g shipped from the states though, since Amazon had it for $20.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the borderlands 2 pack with a 32G memory card from Amazon. I'm a big JRPG nut and my PS3 pinball arcade games are cross buy, so it was a no-brainer for me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
not enought games that interest me at the moment. maybe some day.

This. I see the Vita as hardware that has a ton of potential, but besides Ys, Dragon's Crown (available on PS3 also) Danganropa 1 and 2, and Virtues Last Reward (only for trophy support) there isnt much on it that is exclusive enough for me to buy ti and hasnt been done better on a home console. My brother, the staunchest supporter of the PSP, tried to love his vita, and does so. HE is disappointed in the lack of attention the system is getting in terms of software. It just looks like Sony doesnt know what to do with it, which is not a great place to be.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
This. I see the Vita as hardware that has a ton of potential, but besides Ys, Dragon's Crown (available on PS3 also) Danganropa 1 and 2, and Virtues Last Reward (only for trophy support) there isnt much on it that is exclusive enough for me to buy ti and hasnt been done better on a home console. My brother, the staunchest supporter of the PSP, tried to love his vita, and does so. HE is disappointed in the lack of attention the system is getting in terms of software. It just looks like Sony doesnt know what to do with it, which is not a great place to be.
I kinda figured since whenever im at game stores, I rarely see any ps vita games on the shelves and the ones I do see or that im interested in, that game is avaliable on another system. just not worth getting a vita at this time. id rather save up for a duo-r

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!

If you look at all these losses Sony takes year in and year out, they don't know what to do with most things.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
How does SNES play on the vita? I never thought it ran that well on my psp. I didn't realize you could actually play emulators and ps1 games on it.

It is quite good. I played super mario world and act raiser on it and I was not having any framerate issues. For some reason, the one emulator I could not get running was sega genesis. I'll give it a try again at some point, but having too much of a backlog kills retro gaming currently.

grimm

Marked Wolf
I wouldnt shy away from getting a Vita. I quite enjoy mine but i dont use it all the time. I have about 15 games for it, varying from platformers, to puzzles and JRPG. It works well for those. But it sucks that many of the odd japanese stuff doesnt get physical releases in europe where i live. Im seriously contemplating getting ANOTHER vita (the first gen of course) just so i dont have to use the account swap thing every time i wanna use DLC with my physical games.. No way am i buying digital if i can just use a US or Japanese account and a physical release... If you arnt worried about DLC, then there is NOTHING stopping you from picking a Vita up. I would recommend the first generation one as it has a, in my opinion,, more colourful screen. But the new slim model does have slightly better batterylife and doesnt look bad at all. That said, i would definitely say you shouldnt hesitate any longer. I dont thing prices for the console will drop much lower in quite a while and some new interesting games are on the horizon.

Boat200

New Challenger
Just got one- love it so far. Sort of exploded my mind moving from my Pocket and GBA for portable gaming. Spelunky is my only game at this point- it will keep me busy for a while. Looks like the library has loads of good titles, actually.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I really like Gravity Rush. I'd even call it my favorite game of this generation, whatever this generation happens to be.

But there are other good Vita games! The Danganronpa titles are must-plays if you like the Phoenix Wright and Virtue's Last Reward series, and Sound Shapes is very nice. the Ys IV remake is decent even if the storyline isn't all that great (is it ever when it comes to Ys?), and you have some solid action games like Muramasa Rebirth, Toukiden, Dragon's Crown, and Soul Sacrifice.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
There are also Vita games that don't have a physical release

I've played Dragon's Crown on my Vita more then on the PS3( and then got confused now and then when I couldn't do something I had gotten use doing on the Vita )

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
FYI, I already got a Vita and am loving it. Picked up Dragon's Crown, Final Fantasy X, Sword Art Online, Y's, and MVC 3. I like that I can play some good stuff on the go, especially Dragon's Crown.

I just saw a trailer for a new game with the guy who did the art for Dragon's Crown, and it looks pretty good. It's an RPG. can't find it now.