Getting into PC Engine Collecting

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
PC Engine Veterans,

I am looking to begin my journey of collecting for the one system I have always been fond of, the PC Engine. I looked over the forums and saw a lot of recommendations for shooters and games.

Any pointers, insights on what to stay away from, etcetera, would be most appreciated. How long did it take you to collect, are you still collecting? What are some of your hardware variations?

I am looking to begin with a hardware collection and then move onto games. I do not plan on purchasing any US based games, only Japanese games.

Thank you,

GAMEFAN

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Didn't we just have a thread on this like a week ago?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Broken,

I saw that thread and it was geared more towards what games to purchase. I am looking for a more technical thread on he hardware variances and hardware maintenance. I know your a huge PC Engine fan and thought you could share your insight on hardware and the product family.

GAMEFAN

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What maintenance? Just don't buy the standard Duo and you're good to go.

If you don't want to play CD games buy a CoreGrafx 1 or 2, same hardware, different colored writing on top.

You're welcome

SHROOM

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
What maintenance, the kind where caps need to be replaced.

Thanks Dr. Please close since this seems to be a redundant topic here.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I will begin shopping for a DUO R/DUO-RX.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What maintenance, the kind where caps need to be replaced.

Thanks Dr. Please close since this seems to be a redundant topic here.

Pretty much the only machines that need caps replaced are Turbo Express and PCE GT. And Turbo Duo and PCE Duo. Plus probably the laseractive module.

TG16, White PCE, both CoreGrafx units, SuperGrafx, Duo R and RX don't suffer from this. I haven't had one, but I don't believe the PCE Shuttle has caps issues either.

This is it right here. You can then proceed to get full games if you want.

Question, do the everdrive load CD images as well or is that not even possible?

No CD images on it sadly. However they are folks looking into it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The beautiful suitcase system is known to have all sorts of issues with the CD drive. I've spent dozens of hours trying to fix mine, and it still doesnt work right for all games. I've even sent it to the best PCE repair people on forums, and they didn't quite get it right either. Luckily my US drive works fine, but it the colors don't match up.

Go with Duo's. I think they are boring looking, but they are more reliable. DuoRX is a little more sexy.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Pretty much the only machines that need caps replaced are Turbo Express and PCE GT. And Turbo Duo and PCE Duo. Plus probably the laseractive module.

TG16, White PCE, both CoreGrafx units, SuperGrafx, Duo R and RX don't suffer from this. I haven't had one, but I don't believe the PCE Shuttle has caps issues either.

No CD images on it sadly. However they are folks looking into it.

Laseractive model is a cap replacement nightmare...steer clear of that.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
the sega pac actually has a lot more caps than the PCE pac.

I rock the LA setup its total boss hoss

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I will begin shopping for a DUO R/DUO-RX.
That's only model you need just beware for the TG16 games,it has become pricey.If you just stick to PCE games and you shouldn't have to spend to much.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That's only model you need just beware for the TG16 games,it has become pricey.If you just stick to PCE games and you shouldn't have to spend to much.

Exactly why yo should consider an everdrive. Some games (especially the essential SHMUPS) have reached outrageous prices and you have the opportunity to try before you buy.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, I don't want to create a new thread so I will ask here: I have a Avenue 6 pad and one thing which I find disappointing is that the 'III' buton does not double up as 'SELECT' when in standard 'A' mode as is apparantly the case on the Avenue 3 pad. Any way to make this happen? The Avenue 6 is obviously good for SF2CE but in real life there are far more games which actively use 'SELECT' and having 'III' 'II' 'I' in one line accessible on the Avenue 6 pad would be very useful. Any ideas?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Mod it however you like?

Due to the selectable 2 / 6 button modes I don't think its as easy as running a piece of wire between e.g. SELECT and Button III. Jumping these two points is likely to have repercussions when switching to 6 button mode.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I think it's already been said, get a Duo-R and an everdrive. The everdrive will save you a lot of money so that you can start adding to your CD collection.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I think it's already been said, get a Duo-R and an everdrive. The everdrive will save you a lot of money so that you can start adding to your CD collection.

+1
I got a Coregrafx + Everdrive and now I am feeling really uneasy about not being able to play the CD games (and there are plenty of good ones out there) :D
Yes, there are options to get the CD drive for the Coregrafx but all in all it probably makes more sense to do things right straight from the outset.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Due to the selectable 2 / 6 button modes I don't think its as easy as running a piece of wire between e.g. SELECT and Button III. Jumping these two points is likely to have repercussions when switching to 6 button mode.

Add an extra button.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
in all seriousness, i really don't feel that pce/TG games are worth it at the moment.
there are some really great games, but they've pretty much all skyrocketed recently, so ehhhhhhhh........

but on to hardware, get what you think looks nice, but make sure you're buying a unit that has been serviced, or one you know how to service.
any card only system to my knowledge is essentially a tank, i haven't heard of a broken one, save for something like a wonky port.
briefcase/US CD add-on - the drive is a pile; gears, lasers, and motors all die fairly regularly, so make sure you get one that has had any problems sorted out.
turboDuo/PCE duo - occasionally the lasers die, but more common/important is that they've been recapped; the caps frequently leak and can kill the whole system if unchecked.
PCE duo-r/rx - you might need to replace the laser, but that's super easy.

trying to think how many times i've seen this question asked.......

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member