Let's have your Sega Saturn import recommendations?

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thanks all for the great list, such a shame alot of these game command such a high price tag. Any afordable suggestions would be great to throw in there as well.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Take a vacation to an Asian country and get 'em there ;)

You'll enjoy the trip, the cultures, food and any Japanese release game outside Japan is dirt cheap. I mean, REAL cheap.

If you're looking to spend money based on ebay researches, then you'd better looking somewhere else for cheap stuff.
Imports are kinda affordable still. But those games on the lists are beginning to fetch quite high values lately.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Most of the best stuff has been mentioned. I'll suggest these ones that haven't:

Guardian Force
Gun Frontier
Konami Antiques MSX Collection
Magical Hoppers (better version of Pandemonium)
Sengoku Blade

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Alright Jamie.

Couple of titles worth checking out, not mentioned yet:

Wolf Fang SS (overlooked/underrated)
Dead or Alive (was JPN only for Saturn and akin to Arcade version, unlike PS1 version)
Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus / Tiger Heli II - decent vert shmup

Loads of other great games mentioned.

Also, Street Fighter Zero 3 on Saturn is immaculate. It also features a reverse dramatic battle mode (i.e. you vs 2 other characters) not found in other versions. Expensive, but a real gem.

Was going to mention Necronomicon, but glad to see you have it covered. It IS better than Last Gladiators btw. Tables are much better designed and better balanced. You'll like ALL 3 tables in Necronomicon too vs some in Last Gladiators (imo). Definitely get hyped for Necronomicon btw. It won't disappoint.

Can't leave this thread without giving an honourable shout out for Marvel vs Street Fighter though! Still my fave Marvel/Capcom VS fighter by far (My order: MvS, XvS, MvC... not arsed about MvC2 & 3. Sorry. TvC on Wii was great though. Nice and fresh! Shoulda HD'd that for PS3 & 360 tbh)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Put a mod chip in it & enjoy what ever game you like

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you like pinball check out Fantastic Pinball Kyutenka and Last Gladiator Version 2.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
If you like pinball check out Fantastic Pinball Kyutenka and Last Gladiator Version 2.

Damn. You learn of new games all the time on Saturn.

Was going to mention Necronomicon, but glad to see you have it covered. It IS better than Last Gladiators btw. Tables are much better designed and better balanced. You'll like ALL 3 tables in Necronomicon too vs some in Last Gladiators (imo). Definitely get hyped for Necronomicon btw. It won't disappoint.
Necronomicon is one of the best pinball video games in history. It even holds up to Pinball Arcade/pinball hall of fame. It would be cool if someone made physical tables of those but I doubt it would be possible.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Necronomicon is one of the best pinball video games in history. It even holds up to Pinball Arcade/pinball hall of fame. It would be cool if someone made physical tables of those but I doubt it would be possible.

It's probably my favorite video pinball game and I highly recommend it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Easy for non-Japanese speakers:

- So many good shmups (Radiant Silvergun, Gradius and Salamander Deluxe Packs, ThunderForce V, Cotton 2/Boomerang, Darius Gaiden)
- SNK and Capcom ports (Zero 3, Vampire Savior, X-men vs. SF, KoF '96/97, SS4, Slug 1 among others)
- Astra Superstars (quirky ST-V fighting game)
- Guardian Heroes (Japanese version is way cheaper and it's still my favorite Treasure game)

Less accessible

- Shining Force III Scenarios 1-3 (Strat RPG, last good entry in the series, there are a lot of faqs and what not to play it)
- Grandia (JRPG, you can get it for nothing on Saturn)
- Burning Rangers

There are a ton I'm missing. Saturn excelled at 2D fighting games/shmups and had a metric ton of quirky Japanese shit (visual novels, crappy licensed anime games, horse racing sims, the usual), some of it interesting, some of it less so. Bottom line is as long as you're willing to put up with Japanese, all of the crazy overpriced US games can be had at a fraction of the price.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Here you go matey, enjoy ;)

or6zux.jpg

20a2p01.jpg

v75cud.jpg

2s9ccv7.jpg

2v8fjmc.jpg

2hn6r01.jpg

ea33tw.jpg

2nu6kjs.jpg

Nice. I can see you did a couple things to it...namely, the exhaust, wheels (possibly), spoiler...did I miss anything?

PS: No Circus Voltaire. I wonder if a moderator can delete the previous recommendations until you come up with the goods.:D

Jon

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Damn. You learn of new games all the time on Saturn

One of the best parts of the system. They made so many great games in Japan that you can always find something new to try. I have a rather extensive Saturn library and I gotta say there are a bunch of games recommened in this thread I've never heard of.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Here's what I'd recommend from my Saturn import collection:

Columns Arcade Collection
Dead or Alive
Real Bout: Garou Densetsu Special (RAM cart required)
Fantastic Pinball
Final Romance 2, Idol Mahjong (nudity)
Idol Jansi Suchie-Pai Special (nudity, but, it's a "yellow label" game, as such all the nipples have been edited out)
Idol Mah Jong, Final Romance 2 (nudity)
King of Fighters '96 (RAM cart required)
King of Fighters '97 (RAM cart required)
Konami Antiques: MSX Collection
Magical Drop III - Toretate Zoukangou
Pocket Fighter (RAM cart optional, if I remember correctly)
Samurai Spirits III: Zankurou Musouken (RAM cart required)
Samurai Spirits IV: Amakusa Kourin (RAM cart required)
Super Real Mahjong PVI (nudity)
Tokimeki Memorial - Forever With You (dating sim--you won't get much out of it without some knowedge of Japanese though)
Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Pazurudama (puzzle game similar to Puyo Puyo)
Tokimeki Memorial - Taisen Tokkaedama (puzzle game that something like Tetris Attack or Yoshi's Cookie if I'm remembering right)
Vampire Savior (RAM cart required)
X-men vs Street Fighter (RAM cart required)

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Nice. I can see you did a couple things to it...namely, the exhaust, wheels (possibly), spoiler...did I miss anything?

PS: No Circus Voltaire. I wonder if a moderator can delete the previous recommendations until you come up with the goods.:D

Jon

Ha you love it big man, yup all stage 1 tuned and mapped, loads of mods and a stunning car, I love her ;) Currently running around 450HP.

The pinball machine is actually a Hyperpin machine running 3 monitors and a dual gfx cards ect to emulate pinball, another great bit of kit that get alot of play with my mates and a few beers!

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
It has been mentioned before, but get yourself a copy of Strikers 1945 or 1945 II. If you can get something out of shmups (and I suppose you do if you are looking for Saturn import recommendations) this is the game for you. Period. By the way, part 1 is quite cheap too.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Damn, so many to mention:

-Thunder Force V: fanastic shmup, absolutely everything (including menus) is in English

-Capcom 2D fighters: especially the ones that use the 4MB Ram cart, are arcade perfect with only one or two seconds of load time; Xmen vs Street fighter, Marvel super heroes vs Street fighter, Vampire Savior, street fighter zero 3, all menus and options are in English

-soukyugurentai, another shmup, tho the menus are In Japanese

-Deep fear: basically resident evil under water, everything including menus is in English

-Silhouette Mirage, great action game, menus in Japanese, but still easily palatable

-metal slug, excellent port, damn near (if not) arcade perfect excluding load times, I believe options are in English.

I'll post more as they come to me.
I love the Saturn, my fave system of all time.
Enjoy!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Anyone ever play this?

t1G5mIa.jpg

I was feeling nostalgic for the PC version today, looked it up, and found out there was a Saturn port. Tempted to order a copy.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Elevator Action Returns looks really good to me but I haven't played it yet so I can't really tell you how it plays.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
one shmup game that I came across that is awesome is battle garegga. a 1942/3 type shmup, great and intense music but the price is up there, so that isn't awesome :(

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Another good shmup is DoDonPachi. Good soundtrack and lots of action, and quite tough to master. Not too expensive on the auction sites.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
one shmup game that I came across that is awesome is battle garegga. a 1942/3 type shmup, great and intense music but the price is up there, so that isn't awesome :(

That's the second time you've given Garegga that generic/vague/inappropriately simplistic tagline.

Last edited: