Neo Geo Withdrawal

Although I have not been very active around here, I have actually had a Neo Geo for many years. In fact, my first Neo Geo system was purchased back in the early 90's at retail price. It came with Magician Lord and Fatal Fury. In that time my library expanded to include (unbeknownst to me at the time) some valuable additions to my library, but my collection was largely padded with Japanese imports I'd get from Chinatown. In any case, I never looked at my purchases as part of a "collection," but rather as games that I legitimately enjoyed playing.

Around the time the Sega Saturn came out, my Neo Geo saw increasingly less play. In fact, I ended up putting it in a closet in a less than ideal spot, not realizing that one day interest in the system and its games would actually increase over the years. I skipped the Neo Geo CD at the time due to its reputation for horribly slow load times, but I did pick up nearly every SNK port to the Saturn. Mostly, though, my interests had moved on to the 3D realm.

Since retro gaming came into fashion, it rekindled my interest in my Neo Geo. I began purchasing carts again, and soon discovered that there were "modded" Neo Geo systems which offered far superior picture quality to the composite I was accustomed to. Without thinking too much about it, I purchased a modded Neo Geo from this forum and again tossed my original AES to the side. I eventually sold it, and very soon came to realize my mistake. That Neo Geo held a great deal of sentimental value, and though the modded one was superior in every way, it would never be truly "mine." At the same time, I was becoming discouraged by how costly it was to purchase AES carts since they had become "collector's items". I began to have my doubts about the viability of Neo Geo gaming since the games could usually be purchased cheaper for other platforms or for the Neo Geo CD. I eventually purchased a CMVS, a multi-cart, a few MVS carts, and sold off all of my AES carts and my AES console itself. I figured that between the ports for other consoles, my decently sized Neo Geo CD collection (I purchased a CDZ during this time so the load times weren't quite as unbearable), and the CMVS, I wouldn't need the AES stuff anymore. At the same time, I was pulling together as much money as I could to put towards the purchase of a new home, so I figured it was the practical thing to do.

Can someone tell me, then, why I feel this great sense of "loss" since selling my AES gear? I actually got the idea for focusing on more viable platforms from members of this forum, so I'd be curious to hear from others if they too regret selling off their collections. See, I have to admit that I hate using the term "collection." It was never about "collecting" for me. It was about the nostalgia of playing a console that no one else had at the time. I do, however, still have my original sticks since those work with my CDZ and MVS. Anyway, I know this was a bit convoluted, so I will simply put it like this; would I be crazy to try to jump back into the fray? Prices seem to have gone up even more since a year ago, and I think I may have jumped the gun by purchasing (on impulse) a boxed AES system with unibios and two pro controllers (one boxed) for $300. You might say I already have buyer's remorse since the modded AES I purchased around two years ago didn't cosr more than that and it came with a memory card, yet I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. :eek_2:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The games on the AES cost more, but you can also sell them for the same as you paid, or more, as they are relatively rare. Games on CD, or on newer consoles, you can't sell them for as much as you paid for them, as they are much more common, and have no intrinsic value.

Joe,

In you opinion, did I overpay for the AES? I don't know current values for any AES related items.

I do appreciate the point you made. I think at the time I was worried that with the US economy in a slump that the retro gaming bubble was going to burst. Again, my collection wasn't exceptional by any means, but I had (and sold) the following titles (in no particular order);

SVC Chaos
World Heroes 1, 2, Jet
Fatal Fury, 2, Special
Samurai Spirits 2
KOF 96
Art of Fighting 1, 2
Fighter's History Dynamite
King of the Monsters 1, 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

I got phenomenal deals on many of them since I purchased them before they were "collectible." Looking at the prices now, and calculating how much it would cost to repurchase them, I almost passed out (not literally). I did, however, get a sense that to buy back in at this point is almost beyond me. I can afford it, yes, but should I?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
The games on the AES cost more, but you can also sell them for the same as you paid, or more, as they are relatively rare. Games on CD, or on newer consoles, you can't sell them for as much as you paid for them, as they are much more common, and have no intrinsic value.

Please tell me you are one of the people who "invests in video games".

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Get a cab and go mvs before that, too, becomes unreachable.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
What you refer to sounds like an addictive nostaliga kick. You tend to miss what you cannot have anymore. Part of the fact of aging is losing the ability to do stuff you could do in the past. Even it's as simple as not playing an exact copy of a game. To a certain degree I had something similar when I sold Mark of the Wolves, SVC Chaos, and Metal Slug 3 AES carts to afford moving 300 miles. In all honesty I held on to the carts that I have the most nostalga for cause I know it would be 100 x worse if I got rid of them.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
Can someone tell me, then, why I feel this great sense of "loss" since selling my AES gear?

I think you feel the loss because of nostalgia. Like most of us retro gamers, there is always a special place in your heart for all those consoles and games you used to own or still own when you were younger.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
None of those games are rare or expensive with the exception of SVC which goes for 350+. If I were you I would pick the 5 five games from that list that you really want the most and go for them. FFS, WH1/2 SS2, AoF1/2, those are pretty damn common as far as AES games go.

Joe,

In you opinion, did I overpay for the AES? I don't know current values for any AES related items.

I do appreciate the point you made. I think at the time I was worried that with the US economy in a slump that the retro gaming bubble was going to burst. Again, my collection wasn't exceptional by any means, but I had (and sold) the following titles (in no particular order);

SVC Chaos
World Heroes 1, 2, Jet
Fatal Fury, 2, Special
Samurai Spirits 2
KOF 96
Art of Fighting 1, 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

I got phenomenal deals on many of them since I purchased them before they were "collectible." Looking at the prices now, and calculating how much it would cost to repurchase them, I almost passed out (not literally). I did, however, get a sense that to buy back in at this point is almost beyond me. I can afford it, yes, but should I?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Joe,

SVC Chaos
World Heroes 1, 2, Jet
Fatal Fury, 2, Special
Samurai Spirits 2
KOF 96
Art of Fighting 1, 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

The only games on that list that are worth a lot (in Japanese AES form) are:

SVC Chaos
KOF 96
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

Last edited:

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
You pretty much sold off your childhood Neo Geo at home nostalgia. That's probably why you feel that sense of loss. I personally own all 3 AES, Neo CD and a few Neo Geo cab's. At the end of the day I'm personally far more proud of the fact that I own a piece of early 90's hardcore gameing history. Neo Geo AES is a true dream machine !!!

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have been collecting and purchasing Neo Geo AES carts since the early 2000's. At that time I remember picking up Last Resort for $75 and I thought that was so expensive. As the years went on and games were becoming more expensive, especially the good ones like the Metal Slug's. I stopped collecting for the system. I still have most of my games but so many are in gamer's condition because I did not have a lot of $ back then to buy minty ones. Usually I would buy just the cart without the artwork and manual. It is great to see other developer's making new games but at over $500 a pop on release, it makes it so difficult for me to continue to expand the Neo collection. So I started revamping my SNES and Turbo Grafx collection instead because there are just so many more quality games on those systems that are still affordable. The Neo Geo is quite limited because of it's small library and I do feel like I have done all I can to collect for it at the moment.

daybona

Juz,
I can't think of a worse time to be getting into the NGH market. At one time, MVS collecting didn't have quite the aesthetic appeal of a home cart collection. Nowadays, I find the opposite is true. My Cmvs is superior to my NGH system in all ways. My MVS collection is more affordable and looks better than my old NGH collection. Have Xian Xi build you a beautiful Cmvs, get some shock boxes, print some inserts and you'll be able to experience that "home cart" nostalgia without breaking the bank :)

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
... the practical advice is to stop it you addict :) ... at least until you work out what your issue is.

enjoy what you have, don't fret over what you don't. It doesn't sound like you miss playing anything, just the idea of collecting?... if you actually enjoy the colllection you simply also have to also enjoy the hunt and the spend - otherwise what's the point? ...if it's not enjoyable its more an illness than a hobby.

nostalgia is an experience that can be good or bad - it is not a full understanding or justification or explanation about how you feel. (Although of course in general we tend to expect to see it as a joyful experience.)

At one time unburdening yourself and some extra cash seemed to be desirable? Is that still the case and are you acting out? Or are you enjoying yourself but having trouble resolving some frivolous fun with a previous ideal/principles you once held?

Last edited:

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I am getting back into AES, too. But I am into KOF and with the exception of 2003, all are pretty cheap. But I am just resigned I will never have my favorites again like Metal Slug, Blazing Star, etc. again.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Sell your unwanted gear.

Get a CRT.

Get a supergun with Neo-Geo 1 slot motherboard (or consolized MVS).

Get two neo-geo controllers.

Buy a 120 or 161 in 1 cart.

Call it a day.

Don't buy homecarts.

Last edited: