FATAL FURY I & II OVAs & THE MOTION PICTURE on R1 DVD By DISCOTEK MEDIA

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
By the same people who did the character design work for Gowcaizer.

People = person. One guy. Masami Ōbari. He's an animation director. But yeah, the Gowcaizer game was built around his character designs. Too bad they didn't spend more effort on the gameplay, though.

9251fc97173fa2a209f9df117fab0adc.jpg

They put out a book of his works a while back.

22338E.JPG

Anyway, the two OVAs and movie are three things that I think are terrible but enjoy a lot anyway. The second OVA comes closest to actually resembling Fatal Fury, but it's still a good ways off.

Ashura

n00b
Glad you guys enjoyed this release. I designed all the new packaging for this and the movie- that's why it looks like AES stuff. The movie is a completely new transfer from hd, so it's anamorphic and looks really good. The ova is the Japanese master- I didn't know about the rainbowing, that's really unfortunate...

Darknb

n00b
I just watched the new version of the movie. There's no extra titty action, but holy shit does the new DVD look amazing. It upscales to 1080p extremely well. Sometimes I thought I was actually watching a blu ray. Highly recommended.

Is it any better in the widescreen format? I watched these years ago when a buddy had some re-recorded VHS tapes. I can't remember if they were widescreen or not then...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lol, man, as corny as it is, I still love this song:

I love that song so much, I know it by heart, use to sing to it as a kid and many years later I did it at a Boston Anime Convention Karaoke thing at the end of the main show...the place went nuts! I actually won the thing, did a Billy cosplay so it kinda went with the theme, guess everybody knew what was up...lol!

Edit: I remember asking Wes (SonGohan) our resident strings maestro to do a cover collaboration just for shits and giggles...I think he doesn't like the song, lol.

People = person. One guy. Masami Ōbari. He's an animation director. But yeah, the Gowcaizer game was built around his character designs. Too bad they didn't spend more effort on the gameplay, though.

9251fc97173fa2a209f9df117fab0adc.jpg

They put out a book of his works a while back.

22338E.JPG

Anyway, the two OVAs and movie are three things that I think are terrible but enjoy a lot anyway. The second OVA comes closest to actually resembling Fatal Fury, but it's still a good ways off.
I'll be honest, I enjoy everything this guy does, so much that I enjoy the game from time to time, I love the system, too bad it's a stiffer but even then I love playing with the full armored dude, he looks so damn cool...I'll never part with it, I know it's a shitfest but I love it.

If it only played a little faster, hell I'll even take the speed from Savage Reign over this one...

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Is it any better in the widescreen format? I watched these years ago when a buddy had some re-recorded VHS tapes. I can't remember if they were widescreen or not then...

Unless it's spectacularly screwed up, anamorphic is always better. The new movie DVD is anamorphic. It's better.

Ashura

n00b
Hey you guys!

I'm the producer working on the new Blu-Ray for Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture. We're only doing the Movie right now since there's no HD transfer of the OVAs yet. The HD transfer for the movie is actually the best it's ever looked- we paid for the new transfer and I'm hoping the movie sells well so we can do the OVAs.

Here's a sneak peak:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/779472079708184576

I'm trying to track down a few extras and things for the US release... I was wondering if any fan here happened to have a copy of the Japanese DVD for the Motion Picture by chance? It looks like this: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d178310766

As you can see it's going for RIDICULOUS amounts. I'm trying to figure out what's on it.

My other question is if anyone happens to know if the model sheets or any other art for the movie were ever published in an art book?

I've done a lot of research, and as far as I can tell, the movie's only been released in English in the US, yes? No other territories? Even on TV/Cable or what have you?

P.S. I wasn't a producer on the old OVA discs, otherwise I wouldn't have let those rainbowing issues go through. Bleah.

P.P.S If you need proof, here's my twitter: https://twitter.com/ashuraou As much proof as that can be, anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I don't have the DVD, but I do have the Japanese laserdisc. The only thing after the movie was the trailer and tv spots which I believe were on the Viz old VHS release. Only thing I remember that was different was the ending song was in Japanese, however I never really got around to comparing the two. Art wise it did come with this spread.

P.S. Just popped the Viz DVD release (by Pioneer).It does play in Japanese and had concept drawings on it. Considering the laserdisc and VHS release were so similar I would bet that's what's on the Japanese release.

20161011_205536[1].jpg

Last edited:
I don't buy very many movies, but I might have to get the Blu-ray of the Motion Picture if there's one in the works.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Hey you guys!

I'm the producer working on the new Blu-Ray for Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture. We're only doing the Movie right now since there's no HD transfer of the OVAs yet. The HD transfer for the movie is actually the best it's ever looked- we paid for the new transfer and I'm hoping the movie sells well so we can do the OVAs.

Holy crap! I will buy the blu ray! Good luck with the OVAs, too.

The new DVD of the movie was perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen upscaled to 1080p. I'm looking forward to seeing a proper 1080p version.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This is so awesome!! The discotek release was fantastic. I own the vhs, dvd, and laserdisc releases as well and wasn't aware of anything new being added to the japanese dvd version aside from the new cover art for the ovas. I am so glad to see that a bluray release is upcoming. Please continue to keep us in the loop Ashura!

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I'm going have to get these again someday because I can't find my VHS copies hope it's worth getting them.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey you guys!

Here's a sneak peak:

I'm trying to track down a few extras and things for the US release... I was wondering if any fan here happened to have a copy of the Japanese DVD for the Motion Picture by chance? It looks like this: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d178310766

As you can see it's going for RIDICULOUS amounts. I'm trying to figure out what's on it.

My other question is if anyone happens to know if the model sheets or any other art for the movie were ever published in an art book?

I've done a lot of research, and as far as I can tell, the movie's only been released in English in the US, yes? No other territories? Even on TV/Cable or what have you?

P.S. I wasn't a producer on the old OVA discs, otherwise I wouldn't have let those rainbowing issues go through. Bleah.

P.P.S If you need proof, here's my twitter: https://twitter.com/ashuraou As much proof as that can be, anyway.

Hi. I started this thread with the review of the OVA DVD. Thank you for putting so much effort in not only releasing these vintage anime, but also always striving to make it the best one available. I have several of your DVDs.. and will definitely get this blu-ray. Btw, this is a book on the movie. I owned it years ago, and there's tons of sketches and pretty sure character models for the whole cast:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/餓狼伝説パーフェクトアルバム―The-motion-picture-コミックボンボンスペシャル/dp/4061032941

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i don't think fatal fury was ever released in region 2. but i did have a really good bootleg dvd which i bought from china.

Ashura

n00b
Hi. I started this thread with the review of the OVA dvd. Thank you for putting so much effort in not only releasing these vintage anime, but also always striving to make it the best one a

https://www.amazon.co.jp/餓狼伝説パーフェクトアルバム―The-motion-picture-コミックボンボンスペシャル/dp/4061032941

Available. I have several of your DVDs.. and will definitely get this bluray. Btw, this is a book on the movie. I owned it years ago, and there's tons of sketches and pretty sure character models for the whole cast:

Thanks! Went ahead and picked that up! Hope it gets here on time.

i don't think fatal fury was ever released in region 2. but i did have a really good bootleg dvd which i bought from china.

Do you happen to still have this? I'm curious what feature/etc. where on it. Might give me a good idea of what the JP DVD has on it.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Do you happen to still have this? I'm curious what feature/etc. where on it. Might give me a good idea of what the JP DVD has on it.

i no longer have it. but i do remember that the features were at a minimal. it just had a scene selection, and i think that was it. but the art print on the dvd was actually quite good. very professional.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
I'll out myself...

I dislike Obata's design which is why I didn't enjoy watching FF...

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'll out myself...

I dislike Obata's design which is why I didn't enjoy watching FF...

an art style of anime doesn't really stop me from enjoying the actual movie. take tekkonkinkreet as an example. i don't like the art style, but it's done well, and no one could deny that it's a beautiful looking movie with a great story and characters.

Randomsense

New Challenger
Hey you guys!

That's pretty cool news. There is a good chance I'll pick this up when its released. Good luck with the sales and progress toward the others!

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks! Went ahead and picked that up! Hope it gets here on time. Do you happen to still have this? I'm curious what feature/etc. where on it. Might give me a good idea of what the JP DVD has on it.

Ashura, I'm pretty fascinated by the process you are creating these discs. For example, with the Fatal Fury OVAs, I assuming the Japanese master used was some kind of professional video cassette used for the Japanese LD & DVD? Is it called a digibeta, HDCAM, DVCAM? Was the master analog or digital? Was this the same type of source used for your Violence Jack DVD? I understand no better source exists than the censored master used for your release? Do you think in Japan they just throw out the OCN or interpositive for such vintage OVAs typically once it's been transferred to a master source? Sorry, so many questions lol. I hope the book works out good for your needs. It's been years since I've owned it. Here's a cover scan of my old copy, use it freely if you need to:

scan0004.jpg

Last edited:
Ashura, I'm pretty fascinated by the process you are creating these discs. For example, with the Fatal Fury OVAs, I assuming the Japanese master used was some kind of professional video cassette used for the Japanese LD & DVD? Is it called a digibeta, HDCAM, DVCAM? Was the master analog or digital? Was this the same type of source used for your Violence Jack DVD? I understand no better source exists than the censored master used for your release? Do you think in Japan they just throw out the OCN or interpositive for such vintage OVAs typically once it's been transferred to a master source? Sorry, so many questions lol. I hope the book works out good for your needs. It's been years since I've owned it. Here's a cover scan of my old copy, use it freely if you need to:

View attachment 39866

This looks identical to the case of my DVD from years ago, but the disc is actually the two OVAs on one disc. I think the Ebay seller lied about the item.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sorry for the necro bump, but if anyone else is also excited and following the blu-ray release of the FF Motion Picture, I wanted to share this preview clip from Discotek Media. I searched and did not see it anywhere else here. It looks amazing:

Ashura, if you're out there, can give us any new updates? Thanks for all of your hard work!

dv5rdpO.jpg

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sorry for the necro bump, but if anyone else is also excited and following the blu-ray release of the FF Motion Picture, I wanted to share this preview clip from Discotek Media. I searched and did not see it anywhere else here. It looks amazing:

Ashura, if you're out there, can give us any new updates? Thanks for all of your hard work!

View attachment 43566

Definitely worth it to keep those thread alive.. the Discotek DVD looked near-blu-ray quality, so no doubt this Blu will look SICK. Double dip for me.