What's a Generation NEX Worth?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
These things are kinda shitty, but yet I've seen them fetch insane prices on eBay. :scratch: Had I known about the compatibility issues and its terrible death grip on carts back when I first bought it long ago, I would've said fuck that and got a top-loader NES. But what the hell is one of these really worth anyway?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
They're worth NEX to nothing.

Jokes aside, I've seen them go for anywhere from $40 - $90. Why somebody would pay that much is beyond me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah I was thinking of selling mine a few months ago and at the time they were going for around $90.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I had to look up online what this thing was. After checking it out I kind of want one to replace my two systems.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had to look up online what this thing was. After checking it out I kind of want one to replace my two systems.

Don't. The audio is way off. Plus you can't play certain games like Castelvania 3.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I had one. Bought it when it came out for the famicom port. Total shit. I've seen people getting it working with a disk system, though.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
The Generation NEX Nes clones are horrid. However, the Generation NEX Messiah SNES Wireless controllers are the absolute best wireless option for SNES. Not sure what they do now, I got mine for about $90 a set a couple years ago and they are worth it - excellent quality and hard to believe they are the same company.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Don't. The audio is way off. Plus you can't play certain games like Castelvania 3.

I second that. It's pretty much a crappy NES on a chip but slapped into a pretty case. You'd be better off just buying an AV Famicom and a 72-60 pin converter for it.

I'm thinking of getting rid of mine to put money towards one and then have someone mod it. Thing is, no one wants clone hardware. But then again I do really like the casing though. I wonder if someone could gut it and put in one of those Super 8 boards. Then again the casing plastic still smells awful to this day.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Well damn, guess I need to find a better way to play Fami and NES games on the same system.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Well damn, guess I need to find a better way to play Fami and NES games on the same system.

Just do what I'm gonna do. Buy an AV Famicom or top loader NES, get it RGB modded, and get a converter. Sadly they've shot waaaaay up in price.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The Generation NEX Nes clones are horrid. However, the Generation NEX Messiah SNES Wireless controllers are the absolute best wireless option for SNES. Not sure what they do now, I got mine for about $90 a set a couple years ago and they are worth it - excellent quality and hard to believe they are the same company.

Yeah, they're pretty nice controllers. Unfortunately now they're out of business. I looked into it when going through my wireless NES controllers as they had been marketing wireless Genesis 6 button controllers as their next release. Unfortunately they never got to that point and went under.

As for the Generation NEX, I had one, it was pretty shitty for all the reasons listed above. It was a better clone machine than most at the time, but that isn't saying too much. Nothing that you wouldn't do better with a Retron 5, that's for sure.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I'd probably just end up selling it on eBay or Craigslist for about 30 bucks. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to pay the unreasonable prices these things go for, especially if it's a crappy clone.

What? People LOVE clone hardware.

Of course, and the people here hate Neo Geo :keke:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
AV Famicom, converter, Everdrive. Done.

Had I known this years ago, I would've went this route. Now I'm paying the price for it.

I guess someone out there would probably want one just for the novelty. I know they go for high prices, but I doubt anyone would pay that much seeing as how there's the Retron 5 now. What kinda price do you guys think I should try?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The other way around for me: NES-game genie-converter in that order.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
The other way around for me: NES-game genie-converter in that order.

For some reason the idea of owning a frontloader seems kinda awful to me. The top loaders seem more reliable. Don't the pins get bent from pushing the games down?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Makes me wonder if I actually could use a Super 8 board in one of these. One could relocate the 72-pin connector to the front and add a 60-pin connector to the top of the board and stuff it into the case and throw away the shitty clone garbage.

Like using one of these boards:
NES%20Super%208%20v2.0%20p1.JPG.2560x2560_q85.jpg

And converting it for this:
messiah-generation-nex-20051220054918078-000.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
For some reason the idea of owning a frontloader seems kinda awful to me. The top loaders seem more reliable. Don't the pins get bent from pushing the games down?

The NES will work without having to push the tray down. In fact if you have the game genie and converter in, it'd be too long to fit in the down position.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you're going the nes route, a modded top loader and converter is the way to go. The FDS would even work with it without looking like a fucking abomination. I used that setup for a while before I got the av Fami.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
AV Famicom, converter, Everdrive. Done.

Or get the Famicom Everdrive and don't need to bother with a converter. Unless you mean a converter to play NES games on the Famicom, that's my current setup.

Besides my old trusty top loader that I had modded for composite years ago, I'll never mess with a standard NES ever again. Too much frustration over the years dealing with the hardware. The Japanese consoles are just better made and hold up over the years. Not having to mess with worn out cart connectors or lock out chips is worth the price of a Famicom IMHO.