So, we finally got a new TV

chronorobo

n00b
I recently went all out and got a samsung f8500 tv. It is the last of the great plasma tvs and is going out of production by the end of this year.

I recommend anyone who does not know about tv/monitor panel technology to watch this video. The more you know about what you are buying the more informed decision you can make when buying a tv/monitor.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Kega doesn't fill the entire screen vertically in the fixed aspect ratio mode. If I really wanted to fill the screen I have to put it to 'stretched', and then it looks like shit. The retron doesn't have these problems, 4:3 ratio fills the screen vertically perfectly while maintaining the correct width. Much less of a hassle than PC emulators.
This is very good news 'cause I know exactly what you are talking about.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This is very good news 'cause I know exactly what you are talking about.

Yeah, I don't understand the retron hate, it's easy to use and is consistently good on video output. Hell, it even does scanlines right, a lot of emulators fail at making convincing looking scanlines.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yeah, I don't understand the retron hate, it's easy to use and is consistently good on video output. Hell, it even does scanlines right, a lot of emulators fail at making convincing looking scanlines.
The retron is a great idea, its the putting real carts in an emulator that doesn't make sense to me. I'd love to buy a retron like device that didn't have the cart slots, sure you can buy an Ouya or a softmodded Wii, But I'd like to see something made just for emulation, with all the controller ports for all the different systems. Hopefully someone hacks the Retron5 soon.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Isn't the main reason why you shouldn't get these emulator systems is because of the input lag? Add that on your high end tvs, you get even more input lag.

Back on topic, i have way too many tvs...I have about 9 or 10 in the house.

60" Sony Wega LCD, these are not the flat screen one. I've had this tv for about 8 or 9years now, all i have to do is replace the bulb for like $75 & its a brand new awesome tv again. I use this for cable & ps3 netflix.
51" Samsung Plasma 3D, this is in my computer/workroom...Best picture out of all my tvs, have the xboxone hooked up & also an hdmi scart converter to play some retro games when i dont feel like going to the garage to play.
55" Sony XBR Bravia, this is currently in my son's room. We use it to play Baby Einstein videos & cartooons.
40" Sony Bravia for the bedroom- just cable & chromecast hooked up.
34" Sony XBR960 CRT WS - Main tv for gaming right now.
27" Sony Trinitron CRT - For retro gaming
32" Samsung hooked up to my arcade cabinet, its currently setup for Killer Instinct for XB1 (have a spare 32" LG for backup)
19" Magnavox & Disney tv (for backup retro)

Im really in no rush to get those 4k tvs right now. Im pretty happy w/ my projector in my hometheater for watching bluray movies.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Does anybody have a TV that outputs at 240hz? Have you noticed any difference?

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
I also finally snagged an HDTV, fully working 55 inch, rear projetion, and HDCP DVI-D, but it works perfectly, and only cost me 20 bucks. The person I got it from was moving just didn't want to move it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't the main reason why you shouldn't get these emulator systems is because of the input lag? Add that on your high end tvs, you get even more input lag.

Most input lag comes from shitty HDMI switchers and older LCD's...haven't heard anything about systems themselves being laggy.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
My personal favorite emulator system so far is the retro duo, I also have one of those atgames genesis systems, the genesis system would be alright if it actually let you save games. Not even the battery backed saving will work on this system.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
Finally got the HDMI to DVI-D cable in the mail today, and checking out the HD movies that I have on my amazon accounts and Vudu accounts on my PS3. And absolutely loving it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I can vouch for the RetroN. PQ and user friendly OS along w the latest patches make this one of my go-to machines. Don't want to poison the thread, so if you want my honest opinion on it just PM me.

Also, these TVs are awesome since I'm looking for a much larger TV to use on my gameroom. Using a small Dynex 19" LCD for now but would like to upgrade to something around 55-60 inches.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
We watch antenna, and I noticed not everything is in 1080p, some of it is 480p and some 720p. Same with widescreen.

there shouldnt be anything with over the air antenna at 1080p. i have not heard of anyone doing it yet

50 inch panny plasma...
same here , except ill call it a Panasonic.

I also finally snagged an HDTV, fully working 55 inch, rear projetion, and HDCP DVI-D, but it works perfectly, and only cost me 20 bucks. The person I got it from was moving just didn't want to move it.
one of the best bigger tv's for older consoles i had/have is a sony sxrd rear projector. its a 50" and only around 50# not a hassle to move at all. I do recommend getting a spare bulb , sooner rather then later as they will disappear or get real pricey. A

Last edited:

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
there shouldnt be anything with over the air antenna at 1080p. i have not heard of anyone doing it yet

same here , except ill call it a Panasonic.

one of the best bigger tv's for older consoles i had/have is a sony sxrd rear projector. its a 50" and only around 50# not a hassle to move at all. I do recommend getting a spare bulb , sooner rather then later as they will disappear or get real pricey. A

Yeah just gotta figure out where I can get the bulbs. My tv is a mitsubishi ws-55313

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
For Blu-ray watching, PS3, and X360, I've got a Toshiba 55TL515U - 55" Natural 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV capabilities that I haven't explored.

And for retro gaming, I've got two 20" CRTs (Toshiba and Magnavox). I'd love to get a Sony Trinitron/Wega for the retro systems, though (or a PVM, but that's a crapshoot).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For Blu-ray watching, PS3, and X360, I've got a Toshiba 55TL515U - 55" Natural 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV capabilities that I haven't explored.

And for retro gaming, I've got two 20" CRTs (Toshiba and Magnavox). I'd love to get a Sony Trinitron/Wega for the retro systems, though (or a PVM, but that's a crapshoot).

I have this set here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-32FS3...Screen/dp/B0002O76Z6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I can easily say...if you can get your hands on one, do it. It is a seriously nice SD set (and freaking heavy...which is no so good)...it has a beautiful PQ and does superbly with S-video/composite.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
When I was updating my gameroom a few months back I was researching a new TV. I still have a couple of Toshiba CRTs if I want to hook up some of my older systems (Playstation 2, Xbox, or GameCube), but I figured I'd just put them into storage as I wasn't going to have room for them with adding a larger HDTV.

I ended up going with the Sony KDL50W800B. I was really looking for something that had low input lag, and in doing my research it looked like Sony's generally had some of the best results in this area. Also, this particular model had a lot of good press, both in critical reviews and on avsforum.com so I took a chance on it when I found a good sale on one. Haven't been disappointed in the least. Ended up getting the TV, a Sony soundbar, a PS4, and a dedicated Sony blu-ray player, and the combination works awesome. This is the first HDTV I've bought for myself - the other HDTV we have in the living room is a Vizio and was a Christmas gift from the wife's parents - and I couldn't be happier.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
2008 40" Sony Bravia XBR4 1080p 120Hz and still kicking with no issues and a great picture.

25" Toshiba FST Pure Flat for the CRT side.

The issues I have with cheap Vizio and other Manufacturer's budget TVs is their budget components and failure rates. The 5v/12v and HV sections are just poorly done.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I can't say good enough things about Bravias and Sony in general, every piece has performed flawless over the years, except one of my 27" trinitons finally died, after a long hard tenure though. Can't complaint, I could fix it but I already have enough tubes to deal with as it is.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don’t skimp and get the Vizio. Get what you deserve. Get the Sony...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Holy Shit...

I think I just scored a Retron5 off of ThinkGeek for $139...very excited!

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I'm still trying to figure what to do for a new TV. I've only been on a handful of sites like NewEgg and Best Buy to peruse but I'm beginning to think that what I want just isn't available for the price I want to pay.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a 55-60" unit that has at least 4 HDMI inputs, 120Hz, and has 3D. Brands I prefer are Sony, Samsung, LG, and possibly even Sharp, Toshiba and Panasonic as well. I've not heard good things about Vizio and know nothing about brands like HiSense and Element. I don't think they make TVs that big but I know Westinghouse and Sylvania better as makers of light bulbs than television sets. I won't go anywhere near Insignia and you couldn't pay me to own a Philips. :emb:

Budget wise I'm hoping to get something for around $1000 at the most but in my searches it would appear that's too low for the specs/brands I want. :annoyed: