How do you guys have your systems displayed on shelves?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
My systems are kinda all over the place right now. At my dad's place, my PS3's hooked up to the 52" LCD in the living room and then I have a 360, SNES, N64, and PS2 hooked up to a flatscreen CRT there. At my mom's place, the slim 360 and PS4 are in the living room, and in my room I have my Saturn, Wii, Wii U, and Dreamcast hooked up to my 32" Dynex LCD. I'd take pictures and post them, but due to the sweep of last month on here I can't.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have mine a four-tier shelf. I'd recommend getting something closer to a bookshelf, since all the A/V and power cables are just hanging out and are totally visible on my set-up. That means I leave them and they're ugly, or I have to put them in a box which takes up room. If you have a book case that you can drill holes in the back and route the cables through, they'll be invisible and you won't have to store them when not in use.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I have mine a four-tier shelf. I'd recommend getting something closer to a bookshelf, since all the A/V and power cables are just hanging out and are totally visible on my set-up. That means I leave them and they're ugly, or I have to put them in a box which takes up room. If you have a book case that you can drill holes in the back and route the cables through, they'll be invisible and you won't have to store them when not in use.

I have been looking at book cases to put them in. That's what I did at my dad's when we moved earlier in the year so I didn't have to have cords hanging down. I'll have to start looking around at more of 'em and get a good idea of what I'd like, cause I need a bigger one for sure.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have been looking at book cases to put them in. That's what I did at my dad's when we moved earlier in the year so I didn't have to have cords hanging down. I'll have to start looking around at more of 'em and get a good idea of what I'd like, cause I need a bigger one for sure.

I've also been looking for laptop stands so I can stack some systems without them actually sitting on top of one another.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Allsop-Metal-...&qid=1409801715&sr=8-11&keywords=laptop+stand

Genesis on the bottom, DC on the top, or something along those lines.

That is a real good way to maximize space and something I can implement if I ever run out of space on my TV stands. There are a lot of useful tips in this thread. Most of my consoles are on two 3 shelve metal/glass TV stands. The glass attracts dust like crazy, so covering the consoles is a must, specially the newer generation ones where the vents seem even more exposed to vent all that heat they generate. This is not as much of a concern with the more classic consoles...except for the Jaguar; why not put dust flaps over the cartridge slot? Makes no sense. As for organizing the cables, zap-straps are really great. And for connecting everything, my setup is currently under some changes. I recently acquired a PVM (19"), so many of my classic consoles are going to be hooked up to that. I'm waiting on the cables. I already have the scart switches. The PVM has its own table with some miscellaneous items on it. However, I'm not getting rid of my CRT (32") as I prefer to play some games on a bigger screen, specially fighting games. My CRT is on it's own heavy duty stand with wheels which makes it easier to move around. I also have my supergun and MVS and PGM MOBOs on this stand. Lastly, I have my HD TV on the wall above one of my stands connected to my PS4, PS3, 360, Wii-U, DC (VGA), and GC (component). Once everything settles down, I will probably update my collection thread.

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Started building a dedicated retro area in my office after I picked up a PVM, so all my older consoles are down there

Same area I have the Blast City in

Been putting together a home theater room since I moved into my new house, I have a lot of the wiring and mounting done, still need to run the av lines in the wall and build a new front stand for my center channel and current gen consoles.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
grendelrt, that's amazing. I'd have more space if I had my own house, but I'm just a first year college student still living at home. I'm hoping I can get some better furniture when I move soon. I need to find a way to better organize my stuff. I've heard of some people using those over-the-door shoe organizers for their controllers, so I might do that as well.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Yeah dont worry about crap like this in college. This is actually my second house, we just moved, the first house wasn't large enough to hold anything. You get more toys as you get old lol

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I wish I could have all my consoles in my bedroom, but space is quite an issue. We don't even know how big a place we can afford either. Then again, the last apartment I lived at had a huge bedroom with a closet you could practically live in. I just hope it's not an upstairs apartment... I do NOT wanna have to roll my Big Red cab up there...

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Some nice setups in here. Love the ikea shelf stuff. Right now my house is not really setup that great for having all my retro gaming stuff all hooked up at once. A few next gen consoles in the living room and all my retro stuff is in my den, which is a one-at-a-time setup. I am thankful I was able to fit my arcade cab in the den, though. One thing I've never seen anyone do is use VGA+Audio switchers to hook up all their RGB consoles. Would require some custom cables, but I think anyone who is serious about RGB is not opposed to custom cables and those kind of switchers are certainly cheaper and more accessible than SCART switchers.
-ud

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
All my stuff is still in boxes from moving into our new house which is b.s..:mad: I desperately need to go to Ikea in ATL GA or maybe New Orleans LA. I think they are about the same distance for me, need to get this done bad.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In the living room I have a small TV stand under my 60" plasma. It has two shelves which hold my cable box, Wii U, PS3, and Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD driwe.

It my bedroom I have a 24 inch CRT with my PS1, Wii, Atari 7800, Atari 5200, Atari XEGS, Colecovision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, and Neo Geo CD hooked to it.

In my game room I have a 32 inch Sony HD CRT with my Xbox, Gamecube w/Game Boy Player, PS2, 3DO, CD-i, NES, Super Nintendo, N64, Jaguar w/Jag CD, Saturn, Genesis w/32X+CD, Master System, Turbografx-16, Dreamcast, and Turbografx-16 hooked up. And my Pioneer Elite Laserdisc player, of course. The back of the TV is a complicated network of surge protectors and a/v switches. I haven't dare venture back there in years, but so far it hasn't burned the house down. The game room is also where I keep my desk and gaming PC, and where I charge my laptop and tablet. Plus there's tons of games, books, movies, and comics stored on shelves and in boxes.

The Vectrex and Virtual Boy are just sort of shoved in the corner but they're ready for use.

The Vita, 3DS, and Game Boy micro stay on their chargers because I actually play them. The Neo Geo Pocket Color, Woonderswan Colors, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Advance, SP, N-Gage QD, Lynx, Nomad, and Game Gear are all in a drawer. I play them occasionally.

The 2600 and a few backup consoles for unreliable systems are in the closet.

The arcade machines are currently in my uncle's garage because the only places I have to put them are upstairs, and fuck that. I have a 1 slot big red MVS and a DK Jr cocktail.

It's getting cramped. I really should move out of my parents' house, but it's so damn convenient living with them.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
20140908_173532.jpg

All I need to do is make a backing for the shelf to hide those damn cables and I'll be set

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
my crt/retro game set up is kinda wack, I have some plastic shelves for the systems. 2 rows on each side of the tv but my flatscreen/modern set up is nice with a tv stand with plenty of shelves to nicely display the newer systems. will upload pics when I can find my memory card lol

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Some nice-ass setups in here. I gotta get a decent picture of mine.

I have a low entertainment center with a 36" wega in the center and systems on either side, as well as in the cabinets below. Lets me fit... I don't even remember, honestly. Somewhere around 10-12 of my most played systems in or on it. Flanking the entertainment center, and rounding out the wall, are 2 6' bookshelves (cheapies from Walmart) piled with mostly-organized games. That fills up one wall. On the corner is a second, smaller bookshelf that holds NES games.

And then in my living room there's my flatscreen that has PS3/360 hooked up to it, as well as a composite modded toploading NES (because I need to have my NES available at all times) and sometimes whatever I'm in the mood to play from my couch (currently, a PGM hooked up through my supergun). Living room also has 1 4-shelf CD rack completely full of NES games and a second rack that has 1 shelf of overflow NES games, and my PS3/360 games.

I do not have everything immediately available to play with the flip of a switch, BUT I have most things standardized to basic plugs, so I just plug in the cord (which stays hooked up to the TV 24/7) and plug in the power, and we're good to go. I like it better than having a ton of switches, personally, and I'm not concerned about the trickle power draw of leaving 20+ systems plugged in all at once.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Only the system I'm currently playing is out, everything else is stowed out of sight.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
cabinet.jpg

currently a work in progress... just had this custom built to my own measurements... everything hooked up... everything usable at a moments notice using 3 switches and an xrgb on the LCD... CRT is only for using lightgun games so rarely used but still available if i want it

newest consoles (ps4 and xbone) are in a different room

Last edited:

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
this is my retro gaming set up. 30 inch sony crt tv with the following
left from up to down
turbografx, sega genesis model 1 and 3, nes, master system
Below tv
Neo geo cmvs
right from up to down
Neo geo cdz, Nintendo 64, sega Saturn, snes

STuX82Dl.jpg