No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lick it up!
tumblr_mt8rkfaPSw1rg6iiuo1_1280.png

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah man. Hardcore trends are to be blame for all of the whoa's in today's lousy metal...

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever made that gif is either 19 years old, or used to be Nu Metal to the bone ten years ago.

You're probably right in who put that together.

But you do realise it is an appropriation of what was on every DSP release from back in the early 90's.

It fits just fine with how I feel about metal. I'd rather listen to it in my car or bedroom than live. Don't get me wrong, I love live gigs, but I'm in and out of there.

I guess the elitist label is true.

I still have my KISS Alive II tattoos. I wonder if they'll still work.. I should try them on my kids.

I thought about buying LA Kiss season tickets even though I live in MO, figuring I'd fly out for a game or two. I should let it go, eh?

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You're probably right in who put that together.

But you do realise it is an appropriation of what was on every DSP release from back in the early 90's.

It fits just fine with how I feel about metal. I'd rather listen to it in my car or bedroom than live. Don't get me wrong, I love live gigs, but I'm in and out of there.

I guess the elitist label is true.

I think each of us are interpreting the gif differently. What it conveys to me is that if music lacks a trendy hardcore component, then the music is not moshable, and in turn won't be fun.

Mosh oriented metal has existed long before the "core" trends have crept in. And the topic of "core" trends can get pretty stupid depending on the reference point of whomever's discussing it. There's a lot of truth behind the rising trend of newer hardcore influencing types of metal (and vise versa), but you'll also find a lot of uninformed metal fans calling a pure death metal band "deathcore" solely based on the band members being "clean cut" or having short hair.

Whoever made the gif was not thinking about DSP releases. Anyways, yeah I don't move a muscle at a show unless I'm dodging an idiot trying to hit me, so I'm with you there.

Also, being an elitist is cool when you're the real deal.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Shit, I'm so out of touch...

When people talk about Hardcore I'm thinking D.R.I. Trash Zone/Crossover...I get all excited, I'm all like yeah! Hardcore is awesome...then I see what they are talking about and...I loose interest.

I feel like Metal has been diluted, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Things evolve, the good thing is that what we once knew and love will never change and I can live with that, go back to it from time to time. It's good to listen to some new stuff though, sometimes I indulge myself with some new shit, the other day I was listening to Pearl Jam TEN, I liked it, but never listened to it before, I mean if you ask me about this album 20 years ago, I'd either walked away from you or made you walk away from me...metal always had this thing back then, that was either metal or not metal at all. A childish attitude for sure but I was a child, I felt like I was in the middle of a mosh pit everyday...mad trashing days, I miss them but I see the numerous problems there and how much I missed on due to my strict "true metal" diet, not regretting it, I remember it fondly, it cemented my taste in music, something I'm glad about but I have learn to indulge my curiosity sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

On another note. KISS concert is one of the best concerts you'll ever get to witness, even if you don't like KISS you'll get a kick out of it just for the sheer entertainment. I didn't like KISS during my teens, the only "softies" I used to listen to were Maiden, Priest and Metallica before the Black Album, once it came out I dropped Metallica, I hated it and even dropped ...and justice, I felt that Burton Metallica was all that was worth listening. m Other than that I used to listen to nothing but Death and Trash, little Black with the NWOBM specially Rotting Christ, my number 2 favorite ever with number one being Iron Maiden.

I know my metal knowledge is limited, I know I have a rudimentary taste, it's all due to my origins, I jumped from Maiden to Slayer, Kreator, Sepultura, Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Napalm Death and things like that. I thought Exodus was a joke just like Anthrax and all those "funny" guys, the only Funnies I could deal with was Overkill, D.R.I., I just had a very distinctive tunnel vision during those days. I'm glad I have expanded, I do like Anthrax/Belladona Persistence of Time and before, never got into Exodus, it's funny, I always felt they looked dirty and lame, artwise, riffwise, vocal wise, I'm sure some find that likeable, not me. Kreator shaped me that way, no none-sense, just tech, no filler, just aggression, no funnies, melancholic but never dull, I'm glad Kreator made "Renewal" not 'cause I liked it, I hated it at first but with time when I got into it I understood that things evolve and so did my taste, I started listening to Doom and with doom came the sensibilities, you know, Paradise Lost, Pyogenesis, Tiamat, Moonspell, shit like that. Metal has been a journey, I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

When Bruce came back with Accident of Birth it marked the return of metal into my life. Meaning new releases of course. I don't think I'm alone on this, Bruce and Adrian Smith were brilliant together.

PS: Now days I listen to all kinds of stuff. Got into James Brown, Earth Wind & Fire, some funk, some blues, some classic rock, Rainbow, Deep Purple, some not all. Love Black Sabbath both line ups and of course Ozzy. I even listen to Journey and Stix and all kinds of shit, so yeah I have softened up.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Toys and video games. Nearly every week I spend a ridiculous amount of time digging through the bins at local thrift stores looking for action figures and dolls to add to my collection (how I wish I hadn't sold off and given away all the stuff I had when I was a kid!)

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Toys and video games. (how I wish I hadn't sold off and given away all the stuff I had when I was a kid!)

same here pretty much, though i have a little less regret over what i parted with in my teen years,
since i've since more than made up for it in ways that simply weren't imaginable to me back then.
the net, for one, has been a vital, indispensable asset to that end.

for one, i've been a MACROSS/ROBOTECH fan since the early 90's, falling head over heels for MACROSS PLUS
and the YF-19 variable fighter that Anime series prominently features.
i had dreamt for like damn near 20 years about an accurate, transforming model or toy of the damned thing,
and had given up on the idea on grounds that the design was simply too complex to really work IRL in any form
without serious fudging and compromise in the design.

then, quite recently, the 21st century came along and handily redefined my views on what is actually possible,
in the most mind blowingly way i could ever imagine;

YF-19ARCADIA1-607-22-14_zps2e326c2b.jpg

YF-19ARCADIA1-604-11-141_zpsd4c645fd.jpg

YF-19john7-4-143_zps1874fa39.jpg

YF-19ARCADIA1-60JOHN7-13-14_zpsd95d3e3e.jpg

YF-19ARCADIA1-60JOHN4-2-1416_zpse70bf261.jpg

- yes, it is perfect transformation, yes, it has a ton of die-cast metal, and yes, it was EXPENSIVE (about $250)
but there was NO WAY IN HELL i could say no to an honest to gosh Dream Come True. NOT A CHANCE...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I know my metal knowledge is limited, I know I have a rudimentary taste, it's all due to my origins, I jumped from Maiden to Slayer, Kreator, Sepultura, Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Napalm Death and things like that. I thought Exodus was a joke just like Anthrax and all those "funny" guys, the only Funnies I could deal with was Overkill, D.R.I., I just had a very distinctive tunnel vision during those days. I'm glad I have expanded, I do like Anthrax/Belladona Persistence of Time and before, never got into Exodus, it's funny, I always felt they looked dirty and lame, artwise, riffwise, vocal wise, I'm sure some find that likeable, not me. Kreator shaped me that way, no none-sense, just tech, no filler, just aggression, no funnies, melancholic but never dull, I'm glad Kreator made "Renewal" not 'cause I liked it, I hated it at first but with time when I got into it I understood that things evolve and so did my taste, I started listening to Doom and with doom came the sensibilities, you know, Paradise Lost, Pyogenesis, Tiamat, Moonspell, shit like that. Metal has been a journey, I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

You listened to some truly shit music.

Was that to cover up the sounds of the lawnmower?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You listened to some truly shit music.

Was that to cover up the sounds of the lawnmower?

OMG YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT METAL!!!%%*

Master Tasuke, that's a really cool Macross piece. You should post more of your stuff.

I'm reevaluating my stance on figures now and I'm thinking of collecting. To hell with the consequences, you know what I mean?

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Picking my nose. Turns out it's (probably) good for me.

Walking barefoot outside. It feels so good especially walking on a patch of clovers or certain types of moss. My mom told me I would get worms, I never did.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Woah, don't get so defensive Taiso.

So, when are you getting married?

Don't mistake candor for ire. I'd say something like 'Dude, there's no call to be rude with me. You're better than that.'

You asked a question. I merely asked one back. AFTER I answered, I might add.

I'm already married so you're out of luck. Maybe we can meet in a train station some time and you can show me what all the excitement was all about a few months back:D

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Lightly collecting toys.
Video games geared toward kids like Mario.
Pac Man fuzzy dice and air freshener on the rear view mirror.
Bumper stickers but I think I finally kicked that one.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J

hey now, SMB 1~3 and SUPER MARIO WORLD are far more than simple children's video games; they're more akin to religious crusades.

i can somehow easily imagine many of today's "mature" FPS loving adult gamers throwing their controllers in decidedly childish rage
after even merely a cursory attempt to tackle any one of those aforementioned legendary classics...

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Lightly collecting toys.

Pac Man fuzzy dice and air freshener on the rear view mirror.

Bumper stickers but I think I finally kicked that one.

Let it all out.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea, some of the Mario games can actually be challenging. I never got through Mario 3D Land on the 3DS.