Shit you should have grown out of but don't want to

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I know we're supposed to be adults now, but I'm not overly happy about it.

Is there anything you know you're supposed to have grown out of but you just don't want to let go of?

I think we can ignore video games - our parents all thought we would grow out of it and we haven't, it turns out they were wrong and we were right as it's a common adult pastime as well now.

So besides that, what else?

For me, I'd love to stick an obnoxious 1000watt sub in the boot of my car again.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I still enjoy collecting Action Figures. Probably should have given that up but I love those things. Back in the day it was all about what action figures you have and what crazy alternate universe battles you could come up with. Ninja Turtles vs. MOTUV vs Voltron, vs. Robocop vs. Thundercats vs. Transformers was the best. Now they sit in a display case but I still love them. I also really like graphic t-shirts.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ninja Turtles vs. MOTUV vs Voltron, vs. Robocop vs. Thundercats vs. Transformers was the best. Now they sit in a display case but I still love them. I also really like graphic t-shirts.

GI Joe vs X-Men vs MOTU vs Power Rangers vs SF II GI Joes vs Batman vs Silverhawks vs Ninja Turtles vs Terminator vs Wrestlers vs Miscellaneous.

I loved action figures…..a lot. I just can't bring myself to buy them/collect today. Props to those who do.

To answer the OP's question, nothing.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I don't know about should have grown out of of but I guess Heavy Metal and Rap might qualify. I still love both genres and listen to them regularly.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
I used to have a bunch of MUSCLEs figures but have misplaced them somehow... Then I saw these, they're called SUCKLEs. Awesome sculpts as you can see, now I'm tempted to buy some MUSCLEs...
image.jpg

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Imo just don't see why people need to give you shit about video games if you "take care of your obligations" paying the bills, taking care of family "if you have family to support" and getting things done that need to get done. But, most importantly the wife/ girl friend they need your personel time as well and lots of it. (Hell the majority of my gaming is done when she goes to bed) If you do that then nobody shouldn't have a problem at all. If they do they just don't fully respect your hobby, and they should.

But on topic I will never outgrow video games they are my hobby. And people should respect it not as a "kid thing" but a passion I enjoy a lot imo.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You should have seen the shit I've grown out this morning.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Imo just don't see why people need to give you shit about video games if you "take care of your obligations" paying the bills, taking care of family "if you have family to support" and getting things done that need to get done. But, most importantly the wife/ girl friend they need your personel time as well and lots of it. (Hell the majority of my gaming is done when she goes to bed) If you do that then nobody shouldn't have a problem at all. If they do they just don't fully respect your hobby, and they should.

But on topic I will never outgrow video games they are my hobby. And people should respect it not as a "kid thing" but a passion I enjoy a lot imo.

Grow up dude. It's a kid thing. You're into a kid thing.

Just like everyone else here.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Grow up dude. It's a kid thing. You're into a kid thing.

Just like everyone else here.

Damn right own every bit of it. Can't grow up, won't grow up never like enjoying life too much don't want to be "normal" :-J

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Wanting to buy silly cars, speed in them, crash them into walls, etc.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Anime & figure collecting. Tried to stop and did for years but missed it way too much. A full bookcase and a few detolfs later and I'm back.

Video games are commonplace today that the people still thinking its a kid only thing look like the fools, nowadays.

Like MCF 76 said, I take care of my obligations and family, so there shouldn't be any issues.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I dress like I never did in HS. Graphic Tshirts of bands, games, etc.

Pinball is another one that I only got into within the last 6 years.

Living with my parents but I've got an excuse; my Mom has alzheimers and fractured her ankle and I'm helping my Dad take care of her and I'm unemployed.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
GI Joe vs X-Men vs MOTU vs Power Rangers vs SF II GI Joes vs Batman vs Silverhawks vs Ninja Turtles vs Terminator vs Wrestlers vs Miscellaneous.

I loved action figures…..a lot. I just can't bring myself to buy them/collect today. Props to those who do.

To answer the OP's question, nothing.

Silverhawks were awesome. Anyone remember C.O.P.S.?

C.O.P.S..jpg
silverhawks---s01e65---airshow---intro.jpg

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Yes. I never had the figures. For some reason I had a flashback of these..

View attachment 18235

View attachment 18236

:crying:

For small figures I thought they were really cool. I should really check out that action figure thread some time.

NO NO

I had a couple of those. I had totally forgotten about them. They were rad. The Action Figure Thread has a bunch of cool stuff in it. Check it out if you can't resist.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I had a couple of those. I had totally forgotten about them. They were rad. The Action Figure Thread has a bunch of cool stuff in it. Check it out if you can't resist.

I've come to the conclusion that the type of video games I'm drawn to is a manifestation of a repressed urge of wanting to make action figures fight each other.

FUCK

Last edited:

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've come to the conclusion that the type of video games I'm drawn to is a manifestation of a repressed urge of wanting to make action figures fight each other.

FUCK

I think my brain may have just imploded.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Before the latest Hollywood Godzilla, I would have said monster movies. With it's release Godzilla's not as uncool as it normally is.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Add watching Super Heroes cartoons to the mix.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Loads.

However, I've just made a decision to distance myself from them, just because I don't have time anymore.

I've pretty much accepted that I'm into older videogaming and just concentrate the little spare time I have on that.

If I had endless money and no work or relationship obligations (not a particularly healthy situation tbh), I'd be all over, on an in-depth basis:

Comic collecting, Film collecting, Music collecting, Figurine collecting, Anime collecting (fits in with Film collecting).

But I don't have the time nowadays, or the money, to spread myself on a level that I would deem satisfying, across all those interests.

I left Comics, Figures and Anime at the door when I started independent living tbh. Just stuck with videogames and used to be into foreign movie collecting (esp. HK, JPN, Thai, Kor) and taking a real interest in music on the whole. But now, I only really have limited time and I concentrate that on videogaming, as that's the interest I value most above the rest.

Like I said, if life and time allowed, I'd definitely be all over everything I mentioned earlier...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Easy: working too damn much. I'm still putting in on average 10-12 hour days. I should have outgrown that in my twenties. I have a nice nest egg, and really no debt other than a very manageable mortgage, but I still work a stupid amount of hours for a company that is kind of a dead zone, just because the pay is good.

I really need to grow into the type of person that can just appreciate what I have and step back/slow down/relax more. I know this is the opposite of a lot of the responses in this thread, but it's just as bad as someone who wastes too much time. I need to learn to put what's really important in front of me and stop chasing some hypothetical idea of what I could have if I kill myself for another few decades.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Living with my parents but I've got an excuse; my Mom has alzheimers and fractured her ankle and I'm helping my Dad take care of her and I'm unemployed.

Dont take this the wrong way mate but please don't lie to yourself. No matter how bad off your parents and how much they would miss you i bet deep down they would love nothing more in life than to see you stand on your own to feet and get the fuck out.