3DS / 3DS XL gets another hardware update

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
And we'll buy it as soon as they do special editions . lol.

• Increased 3D viewing Angle
  • New C Stick
  • ZL and ZR Buttons
  • Rubber Screen Guards
  • Colored buttons
  • NFC for Amiibo control
  • Faster Processors
  • Micro SD support
  • Swappable Art Covers

What I couldn't find is if the 3D camera resolution was improved. I always through that could have been one of the better features of the system if it wasn't 2002 cellphone quality.

nintendo-3ds-ll-2.jpg

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Those sons of bitches, I waited for the XL, but I didn't think they would re-release another damn version this cycle.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love the hardware revisions but I feel they could have and should have been standard in the first models. I mean extra shoulder buttons and a second stick were a common complaint back then and Nintendo tried to put a bandaid on it w the Circle Pad Pro. If the screen is nice and if the feel is right, I may end up getting it just to stop using my Zelda 3DS a ton.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
my concern is the 'better hardware' requirements for some games that may come out.

oh! a new 3ds game! i'll buy it and find out it does not work in my current 3ds! yay!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Forgot to add, I hope they do something with Amiibo features for current 3DS owners. It would be a shame to buy a new system to use the Amiibo statues on more than just my Wii U.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
my concern is the 'better hardware' requirements for some games that may come out.

oh! a new 3ds game! i'll buy it and find out it does not work in my current 3ds! yay!

Unfortunately its already happening. Supposedly there is a port of Xenoblade Chronicles coming to the new 3DS...and will it only work on the new 3DS...super lame.

There is a thread detailing that in the unrelated forum.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Last time I upgraded to the XL for the improved battery life. I'll probably get this new one for the improved 3D screen.

Forgot to add, I hope they do something with Amiibo features for current 3DS owners.

When they first showed the Amiibos, they also showed some kind of NFC attachment for the 3DS/XL.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not getting rid of the Zelda XL. So solly.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Super glad I was too lazy to get a 3DS XL already/a big enough fan of Ys that I bought a PS Vita for it (literally bought no other games for it).

I hope the little c-stick operates seamlessly with games made for the extra stick add-on for the older 3DS.

It's a little worrying that Nintendo is segmenting the market with the upgraded CPU, though. It would have been one thing to have larger screens and a built-in right stick, but so heavily affecting what games people can play sounds like a bad move. It's like they haven't learned from the past. It's strange because Nintendo has been just about the only company that never made that mistake. The DSi was a bit more powerful, but that pretty much only resulted in situations like that one Sonic collection of Genesis games running worse on older DS models than on the DSi and the whole e-shop thing that I don't think too many people cared about.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I may get crucified for this...

...but Gamestop had a decent trade in deal for the original 3DS when the XL came out...I imagine they'll do something similar for this as well.

I hope the US gets some different colors though...I dont like the new XL colors too much.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No crucifixion necessary. It was the only time in recent memory that I actually used them. I certainly couldn't have sold my old OG 3DS for what Gamestop gave for that trade, and it's the only reason I upgraded.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey, I played the fuck out of Mario Tennis in the months leading to the GBA release.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The improved screen is what I am most pissed about. I purchased a 3ds xl not too long ago, maybe a year and boy are the viewing angles horrible. It's so bad that I use it almost exclusively as a folding "2ds"...If I had known they actually cared enough to fix the 3d problem I would have waited! It just makes no sense to me why they would fix that now of all times. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did for users that don't have one, but it really feels like we got the shaft hard.

Honestly I just have a hard time understanding Nintendo's direction at all with the 3ds line:
Let's make a 3d hand held...well the viewing angles suck, but fuck it, ship it anyway! Let's do what we did last time and make it bigger! Now that it's bigger, these viewing angles are even worse...you know what, let's just give up and make a 2ds. Actually, no...let's go back and finally try to fix it, but while we're fixing problems, let's go fix all the other problems people were complaining about too.

I'm glad they finally have a handheld I would consider release worthy, but to dick your customers around this much consistently in the hand held market leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I may get crucified for this...

...but Gamestop had a decent trade in deal for the original 3DS when the XL came out...I imagine they'll do something similar for this as well.

I hope the US gets some different colors though...I dont like the new XL colors too much.

The new 3DS's will have detachable coverplates for optimal customization.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Glad I've held off on buying a 3DS until now. I might pick up one of these if I go back to Japan this Winter. I'd much rather buy one locally, but the region lock makes a Japanese one more desirable for me.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
Those sons of bitches, I waited for the XL, but I didn't think they would re-release another damn version this cycle.

I hear ya, man. That being said, looks like a solid re-design. Don't think I'll pick it up as I'm not big on handheld gaming; glad for you guys who are, though.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Conflicted. I can appreciate better performance but I hate being closed out on new games.

Eh i'll get one eventually so whatever.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I feel like the build quality on both the 3DS and XL were kinda meh. I might sell my Animal Crossing XL if I can find a way to transfer the save data for it. This means I have to buy another copy of it if I sell it... Oh well. At least the framerate in Pokemon won't run like ass anymore and I have a stick for MH3U and MH4U when that comes out.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Might just well give in and buy it this time...if the customer reviews are favorable with no design flaws.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Makes you wonder what the new cards for exclusives will look like. Will they have a second little nub on the other side to keep it from being inserted into a regular 3DS? :lolz:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Man fuck Nintendo and their cash grabs "gotta buy our new version if you wanna play our new games" seriously Nintendo wtf are you doing