3DS / 3DS XL gets another hardware update

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Fuck it, I just bought a boxed blue one off of ebay for $60. It's not new, but it's damn close to it, and the difference between "New" and "Great condition" was about $100.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Fuck it, I just bought a boxed blue one off of ebay for $60. It's not new, but it's damn close to it, and the difference between "New" and "Great condition" was about $100.

I dont mind used DS consoles so long as the touch screen is perfect condition. I put screen protectors on all of mine to protect them and keep them playable.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Welcome to the fold my brotha. Make sure you tell us all about it compared to your old DSi system. New Super Mario Bros on the DSi XL was so nice along with the few good Castlevania games as well as the slew of good RPGs that came out for the system.

Last edited:

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
how does the image look on the xl? I assume that it stretches the game image to the bigger screens. It seems like it would be really pixelated.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
how does the image look on the xl? I assume that it stretches the game image to the bigger screens. It seems like it would be really pixelated.

If you're talking about the 3DS XL, The image is "Shrunk" down to keep the resolution the same but it's not full screen. You can however hold down Start+Select when you start a DS title on the system and it'll make the game full screen but the image will look like ass compared to what it was before.

If you're talking about the DSi XL. The screen is perfect for DS games.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The red Mario anniversary DSI XL is really nice, but I am also partial to the bronze one...I think it looks pretty sharp.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Damn you peer pressure. I gave in and submitted an offer and won for a boxed blue dsi xl with a flash card for 65 shipped. Looking forward to playing some games =)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Welcome to the fold my brotha. Make sure you tell us all about it compared to your old DSi system. New Super Mario Bros on the DSi XL was so nice along with the few good Castlevania games as well as the slew of good RPGs that came out for the system.

I never had a DSi, I went straight from the DS Lite to the 3DS (then 3DSXL.) I haven't touched the DS in ages though, I usually play on the 3DSXL in blurrovision.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
As a bit of a Ninty fan-boy, who's met Shigsy and was once on the media invite list in the UK for launch parties and freebies.....
I feel that out of loyalty I should just say.........

That Nintendo should worry less about constantly updating the harware and more about releasing some fracking games for the current system!
The release schedule for the 3DS is shite! Get it together Ninty.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Damn you peer pressure. I gave in and submitted an offer and won for a boxed blue dsi xl with a flash card for 65 shipped. Looking forward to playing some games =)

I want to hear your impressions when you get it. Same goes for you Gohan!

Edit: Missed this post...

The red Mario anniversary DSI XL is really nice, but I am also partial to the bronze one...I think it looks pretty sharp.

If this is the one you're referring to..

pa.175928.4.jpg

I have this same unit as well. Very sleek indeed!

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I just wish this was the DS4, and not a minor-rev to the 3DS. I want a bigger bump in specs then what's on the table here. I can't help but feel this one is going to tank hard for Nintendo and do little more than piss of their 3DS fan base, if they make future first party exclusives require the new units. That, and... Did they learn nothing from the Wii U debacle? The NEW 3DS? Really? Like anyone outside of someone who visits IGN or Katoku every day is going to know it's new hardware? You'd think they'd call it something sorta-newish after they had to spend months and marketing-coin trying to explain their last release was actually a new console, and everyone should give it a fair look.

Baffling.

Of course, if it rocks, and the games that do require it are good, I'll be one of those stupid-SOBs carrying it around trying to get street passes. :(

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I have this same unit as well. Very sleek indeed!

Thats the one - love it! Dammit...this is infectious, I may need to pick up a DSi Xl now... :)
Let's see, I may update my big boss psp sale to include a trade for one.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
they upgrade the cpu, but not the 128mb of ram lol

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Thats the one - love it! Dammit...this is infectious, I may need to pick up a DSi Xl now... :)
Let's see, I may update my big boss psp sale to include a trade for one.

I have a very large DS collection of games that I just can't bear to part with since I've played so many of them over and over. Having the best system with crystal clear sprites, clean sound, and a large screen is a no brainer. Join the fold my man. The games wait for you.

I mean seriously...

Chrono_Trigger_DS_Box_Art_by_DamianFoxx.jpg

With all the added content plus the fact you no longer have that status "Bar" on the top or bottom of the screen, you pretty much have a perfect version of this game. Looks just as good if not better then the original SNES version. I'm at a point where I should just start an awesome Nintendo DS thread and list some of my favorite games for this fucking thing.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Other than Amibo, there's not a huge reason to upgrade. (edit well fuck, i did just read some new games will need the new CPU)

If you don't have an XL it's a good reason to get one. I still have my original 3DS, and I don't know how I ever managed with such a small thing.
An XL with the Circle Pad Pro is gonna control better than that little C stick.

They should make a dongle or something for current 3DS systems to play with Amibo's.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I have a very large DS collection of games that I just can't bear to part with since I've played so many of them over and over. Having the best system with crystal clear sprites, clean sound, and a large screen is a no brainer. Join the fold my man. The games wait for you.

I mean seriously...

Chrono_Trigger_DS_Box_Art_by_DamianFoxx.jpg

With all the added content plus the fact you no longer have that status "Bar" on the top or bottom of the screen, you pretty much have a perfect version of this game. Looks just as good if not better then the original SNES version. I'm at a point where I should just start an awesome Nintendo DS thread and list some of my favorite games for this fucking thing.

Ah there's no resisting, the hunt is officially on. I really should get back into the DS now, especially before finding complete games becomes impossible/prohibitively expensive...which judging by other "retro" games is not too far off from happening :/

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Ah there's no resisting, the hunt is officially on. I really should get back into the DS now, especially before finding complete games becomes impossible/prohibitively expensive...which judging by other "retro" games is not too far off from happening :/

You can thank GameStop for a lot of that.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I want to hear your impressions when you get it. Same goes for you Gohan!

Will do man. Looking forward to playing mariokart, advance wars and for some odd reason I have had an itch to play theme park. Shockingly from what I remember, the ds control scheme was very intuitive. My system should be here any day now.