Your drink of choice.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Had an ounce of this last night and wow, it was amazing. 31 years old and was still super smooth.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...ld-rare-auld-duncan-taylor-whisky/#!/product/

I can't read alcohol reviews with a straight face.

"Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Clean and fruity nose with notes of geranium, freshly mown grass, marmalade, black pepper and oak.
Palate: A hint of smoke and salted butter, soft fruits, pear drops, violets, lavender and malt.
Finish: A long, fruity finish - sweet and surprisingly light for a Bowmore of this age."

Just so much bullshit right there. How can a whisky possibly smell like geranium and marmalade.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
It was 13 bucks so not too bad, and one was enough for an after dinner treat, but yes those reviews are hilarious. Youd have to own a serious fedora collection to talk like that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can't read alcohol reviews with a straight face.

"Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Clean and fruity nose with notes of geranium, freshly mown grass, marmalade, black pepper and oak.
Palate: A hint of smoke and salted butter, soft fruits, pear drops, violets, lavender and malt.
Finish: A long, fruity finish - sweet and surprisingly light for a Bowmore of this age."

Just so much bullshit right there. How can a whisky possibly smell like geranium and marmalade.

I was just reading that review out loud to my wife...salted butter and fresh mowed grass? LO-fucking-L, what a douche.

Now...I love me some high quality spirits...I really do. I love the complexity of taste but I don't apply absurd descriptions like some do. I also love silly wine reviews...

Speaking of high quality...

I was having some Hendricks gin last night with a good friend, never been a fan of gin before but this stuff was great. Very high quality, made for some awesome boat drinks and some good company.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
I tried some Wild Turkey American Honey the other day, and its a new fav. I also like Southern Comfort.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a bottle of Maker's Mark since I've heard good things about it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I tried some Wild Turkey American Honey the other day, and its a new fav. I also like Southern Comfort.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a bottle of Maker's Mark since I've heard good things about it.

I prefer Knob to Makers Mark.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Red Stripe is always good.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I had Maker's Mark whiskey just recently, and I consider it the water of all whiskey (very drinkable straight, unlike some of the traditional whiskeys. Seriously, never had anything like it, and I had JD, Wild Turkey, Crown, Jim Beam, etc).

Also going to recommend some beer here: Shock Top Chocolate Wheat (pairs up well with Founder's Raspberry beer); River Horse Pumpkin Ale (not too bad, but something different if you wanted to deviate from Southern Tier Pumpking Ale); The Raven Special Lager (had it once, and it's decent. It's nice if you're a Poe fanatic, because there are beers named after his stories). Shiner makes some decent beer too.

I had Maker's Mark whiskey just recently, and I consider it the water of all whiskey (very drinkable straight, unlike some of the traditional whiskeys. Seriously, never had anything like it, and I had JD, Wild Turkey, Crown, Jim Beam, etc).

Also going to recommend some beer here: Shock Top Chocolate Wheat (pairs up well with Founder's Raspberry beer); River Horse Pumpkin Ale (not too bad, but something different if you wanted to deviate from Southern Tier Pumpking Ale); The Raven Special Lager (had it once, and it's decent. It's nice if you're a Poe fanatic, because there are beers named after his stories). Shiner makes some decent beer too.

Are you sure it wasn't Maker's 46? That's extremely drinkable straight for just about anyone, IMO.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I hate red stripe.

I actually enjoy it. I used to not like it but my buddy came over with a six pack of it awhile ago and we played some pinball and I ended up enjoying it. I was actually surprised. All the Red Strip we have over here is brewed in the US so maybe there are some regional taste differences? Many years ago The red Stripe I did not like was brewed in Jamaica and it's very possible they changed it to make it more palatable to Americans.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It was 13 bucks so not too bad, and one was enough for an after dinner treat, but yes those reviews are hilarious. Youd have to own a serious fedora collection to talk like that.

Blows my mind that there's a company that waits 31 years to sell something and then sells it for 13 bucks

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Blows my mind that there's a company that waits 31 years to sell something and then sells it for 13 bucks

$13 an oz...so take that times 25 and you have the cost of the bottle. Ain't cheap...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Smokehouse you mentioned gin, and I have to be honest I've never found one that I could drink on the rocks for example. Were you guys mixing it or something?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Smokehouse you mentioned gin, and I have to be honest I've never found one that I could drink on the rocks for example. Were you guys mixing it or something?

Forget gin. That garbage is for old codgers.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Yeah...some 7-UP, lime and min leaves on the rocks, pretty tasty (although my buddy was a bit heavy handed with the mint). And I'll say it again...I AM NOT a fan of gin normally so that's saying something if I call it good.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Forget gin. That garbage is for old codgers.

That may be true, but a gin and tonic (with a decent gin like Hendrick's or Bombay Sapphire) is tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day. Not something I would drink all the time, but it's good on occasion. I would never choose to drink gin straight, though, or even in a dry martini. Those are definitely for old codgers (read: alcoholics).

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I thought the deal with Gin was it put holes in your brain (well quicker than most booze) so not sure if that's because most old people drink it and have dementia or pure correlation.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
this weekend I found my new favorite beer

sweet-baby-jesus-xl.jpg