How long have you had your Neo Geo?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Look out, we've got a badass over here.
Not really. I'm over there. Not here.

Also, didn't get my AES til 2010 with SS2. Could never, ever, have afforded one at my age, back when they were current. Better late than never though.

It was a gift too. I did some design work for a friend (helped re-brand/design his game shop after he left a franchise). I didn't actually want or expect anything in return tbh as he's ALWAYS been very generous with my previous in-store game purchases, however, one day, he turns up at my place (socially) with a big black bin liner. Now, initially, I thought 'Wow. Can't believe he's giving me a replacement PS3', as my PS3 had actually just gone down at time (OOWarranty) and he alway shad plenty of 2nd-hand PS3's in his store. So, yeah... I was completely taken aback and surprised when I pulled a fully-boxed, mint (low serial too) NeoGeo out of that bag. Completely unexpected and amazing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Neo conversion hand-me-down in 1997. I bought my first 'Cade years before that, though, a Mappy cabinet from a neighbor. I was in middle school and my parents wouldn't let me bring it into the house, so it lived in a hot garage in FL. When I moved out I bought a Night Striker cab for my first apartment. When a friend of my brother, who was an arcade op in NYC, found out I was into arcade stuff, he traded me the Big Red conversion (Xybots cab, which was rad) and about a dozen games if I'd build him a computer. He gave me a budget and I threw something together, and then the Neo showed up on my doorstep.

I miss that monstrosity sometimes. I ended up with my current candy in 2002, and it's been with me ever since. I gave the older mvs to my movers in 2004. I couldn't find anyone to take it off my hands and no real room for it anymore. Sold the other cabs or gave them away ages ago. Funny it doesn't feel like nearly twenty years of gaming and collecting on the neo, but I'm nearing that number.

Last edited:

bwi

20 Year Member
NGPC 1999, that made me get a AES the year after and a few years after that i got a MVS with supergun

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
I bought my first Neo system in 1995, a Neo Geo Cd Top Loader Pal, i wanted a AES but the prices of the games were too expensive so i bought the Neo Cd.

After, in 1999 i bought Neo Geo Pocket Color, a great small portable console, but i had only 2 games...

finally, in 2009, i decided to make my dream, i bought my first Neo AES, at present i have 3 AES, 2 Cd, one hyper 64 and my Pocket color

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Bought my first MVS a few months before joining here. That was my first experience with Neo Geo besides the arcade scene growing up.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It was a gift too. I did some design work for a friend (helped re-brand/design his game shop after he left a franchise). I didn't actually want or expect anything in return tbh as he's ALWAYS been very generous with my previous in-store game purchases, however, one day, he turns up at my place (socially) with a big black bin liner. Now, initially, I thought 'Wow. Can't believe he's giving me a replacement PS3', as my PS3 had actually just gone down at time (OOWarranty) and he alway shad plenty of 2nd-hand PS3's in his store. So, yeah... I was completely taken aback and surprised when I pulled a fully-boxed, mint (low serial too) NeoGeo out of that bag. Completely unexpected and amazing.

That's cool man. You obviously did a great job and deserved it.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
I came very close to getting my first MVS in 1997, but I passed on it as it was a conversion in really awful shape. A good friend of mine gave me his AES in 1998, and then ten years later to the month I would get my first dedicated MVS cab.

Now I'm up to four. :)

DeusVult

Another Striker
had a neo geo sometime after 91 because KoM was my first game but couldn't afford to keep buying the games so traded it in a few years later, recently got back into it after buying one in dec013 after getting pissed off with my ps4

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
That's cool man. You obviously did a great job and deserved it.
Thanks. I think, to be honest, it had a lot more to do with my having the design 'expertise' he required to move forward, coinciding with his plans at the time. That and my being supportive and encouraging of his leaving a franchise he had been with many years, that had failed to keep up with their contractual obligations and expectations vs rising fees, year after year.

As it happens, the AES was part of a big collection of consoles and games he bought privately, for sale in his upcoming shop. He knew that I was obsessed with the NeoGeo and had plans to buy one. Seemingly he put it aside especially with me in mind and used it as the perfect thank you for putting some stuff together for him. Here's a pic I found online of the shop sign I put together.

a5826d_e783e982db7247034933eaba1d31b5d5.jpg_srz_p_689_612_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Nothing spectacular. Just simple, but effective, as requested. It's bold and stands out, due to lacking any fuss or convoluted font usage. He's also an absolute nut for Ninja Gaiden, so we 'incorporated' the Team Ninja logo in there too ;)

Speaking from the experience of gifts received in adulthood, aside the iMac G4 I got for my 21st Birthday in 2002, it's the best gift I've ever physically received since (A brand-new/sealed JPN DC and a sealed copy of BorderDown LE for my DC from my GF, thereafter).

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Not even 24 hours, I just got my AES delivered yesterday.

My Neo•Geo CD I've had for around 15 years.

My CMVS for 2 years.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I bought my aes back in july of 2009 from a gentleman named luke morse. he was selling some systems and I noticed he had an aes with 2 controllers and 2 games for an amazing price. I was 18 at the time and was working at a goodwill making 7.25 an hour. I had to save up for a few months to have the money. luckily he worked with me and was very patient until I had the cash to pay him. ive been so happy with this system since then. ive also owned a neo cdz since November of 2012 and a cmvs for about half a year now from a trade I did with a good friend from cali

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Bought my AES in the spring of '93, it was a gold system with Samurai Shodown as the pack in.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Bought my first AES used around 2001 / 2002 . Those were tough years in my Real Life, but finally getting the real SNK Hardware and my first Game for it, Samurai Spirits 3, and later with the support of my beloved Grandmother, also King of Fighters 2002, helped me to persevere.I miss her very much.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Got into both MVS and AES in 2011, been loving Neo Geo ever since. In recent time though, I like AES more. It's a lot nicer sitting down to some Neo Geo without having to mess around with bare PCBs and a supergun. I like the console form factor of the AES better. Also, the AES is the original at home experience, fancy CMVS units feel wrong.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The Neo Geo bug bit me in March of this year. Had my MVS-1FZ for 5 months now.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
MVS does have more games, and games were released for MVS first. So in a way MVS is more "original". Especially if you have a cab. Big red cab, crowded arcade, faint smell of cannabis and cigarette smoke... Dirty control panel, sounds of tons of games running at once.. That is the ultimate NEO•GEO experience.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I bought my AES together with SamSho III in '98 or '99 and started to buy MVS carts this year.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Got my AES in January this year, started with MVS on April IIRC.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Big red cab, crowded arcade, faint smell of cannabis and cigarette smoke... Dirty control panel, sounds of tons of games running at once.. That is the ultimate NEO•GEO experience.

Oh man, i wish i could experience just exactly that! Take me there please!

Got my first AES system about 2 Years ago and ever since my Neo Geo collection has been growing exponentially. Later on i bought a second one so i could leave the first one in it's box and have a second controller when friends drop by. About 6 months ago i bought a Neo Geo Pocket and a CD system and now recently i bought a Super Neo 29.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I don't have a fancy story to tell, so who cares... meh. December 2012.