How long have you had your Neo Geo?

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
'05

Bought an AES, a converter, and stack of MVS carts as things were winding down for the Neo in arcades. It's been stored for a few years, just dragged it out and logged in here for the first time in forever.

Can't decide if I'm glad I bought the carts I did then or whether I should have grabbed more in the good ol' days of getting those crazy offers from WeLink et al.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
'05

Bought an AES, a converter, and stack of MVS carts as things were winding down for the Neo in arcades. It's been stored for a few years, just dragged it out and logged in here for the first time in forever.

Can't decide if I'm glad I bought the carts I did then or whether I should have grabbed more in the good ol' days of getting those crazy offers from WeLink et al.

Sounds like you have a nice setup bro, best of both worlds! You most definitely did good holding onto all of your Neo stuff. Most games now in day's are crazy overpriced and the scene all around is full of re sellers and shelf wear collectors. A damn shame IMO! lol I totally miss the 10 to 50 dollar cart days soo much! Welcome back to the NG world and enjoy them games dude!

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
I smiled a little to see that Yaton is still selling on eBay, even if he hasn't got the inventory he used to…

Them deals can still be found at times, just gotta seriously give it that much more effort to get em. On one note, I will admit getting great deals in this day does in fact feel even radder then in the hay day of kick ass deals!

Last edited:

beecee

n00b
might have gotten into this game too late for serious collecting... i pick up my first AES console on Sunday.
i did have eEo Geo CD way way back when most games for that were around the $5-15 mark.

was picking up a few a week, from a great seller in Japan, i must have had around 70 titles at my peak, but true to form i got board and sold the whole lot off.

pretty sure I still have "back ups" of the games i did have somewhere up my loft. thinking of getting another CD unit and use them, but cant be arsed looking for the CD's, and the loading times further put me off.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
might have gotten into this game too late for serious collecting... i pick up my first AES console on Sunday.
i did have eEo Geo CD way way back when most games for that were around the $5-15 mark.

was picking up a few a week, from a great seller in Japan, i must have had around 70 titles at my peak, but true to form i got board and sold the whole lot off.

pretty sure I still have "back ups" of the games i did have somewhere up my loft. thinking of getting another CD unit and use them, but cant be arsed looking for the CD's, and the loading times further put me off.

Congrats on your first AES. I too missed the affordable era of collecting, but it just makes it all the more exciting when you do eventually come across stuff. Also, even though your options are a little limited, there are still some decent games to get at an affordable price, especially if you're okay with JP carts.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

The Neo CD is more than worthwhile for pretty much anything but fighting games. I suggest a consolized MVS for those, but shooters, sports games, puzzle games, etc generally have short and infrequent load times on CD.

Me110

n00b
For just 7 days...an AES without carts...
In a near futer to buy the NeoSD cart or maybe a MVS converter....

beecee

n00b
my first AES was picked up yesterday, i only have Fatal Fury 2 just now, but looking at more, i also have a NeoSD on its way.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Neo CD is more than worthwhile for pretty much anything but fighting games. I suggest a consolized MVS for those, but shooters, sports games, puzzle games, etc generally have short and infrequent load times on CD.

I still enjoy FFS and Karnov's, old school fighting games have bearable loading times.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
1993 I got my own Neo Geo with Samurai Shodown, Sengoku 2 and 3 Count Bout :)
A friend of mine had his late 91.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I still enjoy FFS and Karnov's, old school fighting games have bearable loading times.

Seconded. Although even some newer fighters like Breakers and Gowcaizer load surprisingly fast as well. Plus the arranged ost's for many older titles really add to the experience imho. AoF2 is a standout and the SamSho 1 arranged ost really adds something special to the game's atmosphere.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Absolutely, some ASTs are to die for. Nam '75 AST OMFG the melancholy is palpable...

Hey, we need to duck it out in fightcade with some of these games, it's been a while since I played Karnov's with anyone other than AJ and ASID.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If the dating on my phone is right with an image I took in a temporary resting spot before I put it where it is now, I got my 2slot Neo Geo MVS a year ago today.

Not my first SNK machine (NGPC was) but first non-handheld.
neogeomvs.JPG

Last edited:

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
My relationship with Neo Geo has gone in stages. First it was through playing the MVSs near my house (there was this one arcade in New Orleans, wall-to-wall with them!). Then, it was through emulation. Then, official ports/emulation.

About two years ago, I took the next step and bought a Neo Geo CD. I enjoyed it for a good while, still do from time to time, since I have a long tolerance for loading times. The poor A/V shielding is what really got on my nerves, to be honest.

Then, back in January, I got an OMEGA cMVS, and I've started slowly getting carts together for it, playing them, and having a grand ol' time. Just last Friday, I got a component cable for it and HOLY CRAP does it look awesome!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Absolutely, some ASTs are to die for. Nam '75 AST OMFG the melancholy is palpable...

Hey, we need to duck it out in fightcade with some of these games, it's been a while since I played Karnov's with anyone other than AJ and ASID.

You bet, DJ. If a game has neo geo stamped anywhere on it I'm down to play it lol

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
If the dating on my phone is right with an image I took in a temporary resting spot before I put it where it is now, I got my 2slot Neo Geo MVS a year ago today.

View attachment 44567

Is that a mini? I missed out on one a year ago, but got to at least see it in person before it was sold. Ever since then I'm hopeful I find one in the next few years for my daughter once she's old enough.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Is that a Pinbot pinball in the background there? I have one of those, too.

View attachment 44567

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
First memory of playing a Neo Geo game was Metal Slug 3 for Xbox. Bought a bunch of Neo Geo Station games for PS3 when they came out and picked up some PC releases, too. Last summer I finally got a cmvs and started playing the real thing.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
aw, nice pic.

Thanks. She absolutely loves Bust a Move, and then also loved Bust A Move Again even more on the 161in1 so I picked it up months later.

Is that a mini? I missed out on one a year ago, but got to at least see it in person before it was sold. Ever since then I'm hopeful I find one in the next few years for my daughter once she's old enough.

No it's a standard 2-slot MVS. My little girl is up on a stool.

Is that a Pinbot pinball in the background there? I have one of those, too.

Yup that's my one pinball machine. I had a 2nd (Bally '83 Goldball) I sold off on pinside to pay for and even come out ahead on the MVS which came with 10 games (9 legit + the 161in1.)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Nam 1975 doesn't have an AST. The NGCD uses the cartridge music.