Sequential Metal Slug

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm a big Metal Slug fan and I recently decided to play through the series, in chronological order. I only have MS1 and MS4 for MVS, so I'm playing on the Metal Slug Anthology for Wii.

I recently completed MS1, MS2, MSX, and MS3 (last night).

One thing that I noticed was the attention to detail. These graphics were/are amazing and the developers must have had OCD with these games. As an example, I love how the laser gun makes the characters hair stand up!

I'm hoping to hit MS4, MS5, and MS6 over the weekend to finish the series, then I'll probably play through MS7 again. Go, go, go!!!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm a big Metal Slug fan and I recently decided to play through the series, in chronological order. I only have MS1 and MS4 for MVS, so I'm playing on the Metal Slug Anthology for Wii.

I recently completed MS1, MS2, MSX, and MS3 (last night).

One thing that I noticed was the attention to detail. These graphics were/are amazing and the developers must have had OCD with these games. As an example, I love how the laser gun makes the characters hair stand up!

I'm hoping to hit MS4, MS5, and MS6 over the weekend to finish the series, then I'll probably play through MS7 again. Go, go, go!!!

You already played through the best the series has to offer, keep that in mind. The attention to detail always astounded me and I used to just look at the goofiness of the environments and character animations.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
which games have the cool crouching melee attacks? is it all of them?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Metal Slug 1-3 marathon. Awesome!

Metal Slug 4-6 marathon. I would barely make it halfway through 4. So awful. Especially when played right after the good ones. You will realize how special 1,2,x, and 3 are.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
After Metal Slug 7, there is still Metal Slug XX.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
X> 2> Aero Fighters 2> Strikers 1945+

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I wonder if anybody has ever sequentially 1CC every game in a single sitting. That would be crazy.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I finished Metal Slug 4 today. It felt uninspired and there were a few moments where the game was cheap/repetitive for no good reason. Bottom of the list it goes!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
which games have the cool crouching melee attacks? is it all of them?

AFAIK, all of them have them (from 1 to 5 and X). Never played MS6 or 7 so no idea there. XX on Xbox 360 also has it. Only 5 has the slide, however.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Just finished Metal Slug 5. I thought that the game was good, but that slide move caused more harm than good. It was a poor decision to change the controls like that. Oh, and where was Allan? I didn't see him in the game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Just finished Metal Slug 5. I thought that the game was good, but that slide move caused more harm than good. It was a poor decision to change the controls like that. Oh, and where was Allan? I didn't see him in the game.
I think Allan only appears in the games from 1 to 4 because in those you fight General Morden (Allan is one of his soldiers). Since Morden is nowhere to be seen in 5, it makes sense that Allan is not there.

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Those weren't designed for an arcade, but rather for a handheld. Frequent load times doesn't help either.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug

Once you finish it, I look forward to your thoughts on Metal Slug 6. Personally, I really liked it. I thought it did a nice job completing the "Rootmars Trilogy" of Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, and Metal Slug 6. :)

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Those weren't designed for an arcade, but rather for a handheld. Frequent load times doesn't help either.

True. I was considering Jamma modding an XBox 360 and sticking it in my big red to see how MSXX would play.

That was before I played MS7 on my DS. Soon as I tried it, I abandoned that project.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Well done on that marathon, personally for me 1-3 are the best. I really like the first Metal Slug, some slowdown aside there's no Mars people in it, which for me made 2 and X a little too "Crystal Skull" for my liking. 3 had the martians, but also had great variety. The attention to detail is what makes it special, reflections in puddles, exploding doors jumping out the screen in pseudo 3D, shotgun-ing a soldier...then the later games give us raft riding?!

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Once you finish it, I look forward to your thoughts on Metal Slug 6. Personally, I really liked it. I thought it did a nice job completing the "Rootmars Trilogy" of Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, and Metal Slug 6. :)

I just finished Metal Slug 6 on easy difficulty. I was disappointed with the "To Be Continued" message at the end. The game was good, but I didn't like the blurry graphics and sound effects. How can Metal Slug 1 look and sound better than this?

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I just finished Metal Slug 6 on easy difficulty. I was disappointed with the "To Be Continued" message at the end. The game was good, but I didn't like the blurry graphics and sound effects. How can Metal Slug 1 look and sound better than this?

I think you have to play Metal Slug 6 on the hardest difficulty setting in order to get the true ending. I'll agree that the high-resolution backgrounds can, depending on the setup you're using, look blurry and distorted. I'm also not a huge fan of some of the newer sound effects like the soldier's screams. But, for whatever reason, I still really enjoyed it and place it up there with Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, and Metal Slug 3. Blasphemy?! Perhaps...but, I still really enjoyed it. :)