Gamestop.....................

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Gamestop sucks ass. I avoid it like the plague.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've taken friend's advise and have been using Amazon for newer game purchases. The only time I head into Gamestop is if I need a game accessory (charging cable, etc) in a pinch. Even then, I'd rather go into Target or Walmart for that.

The thing that kills me about Gamestop stores is the smell. It ALWAYS reeks of neckbeard and dirty, unwashed, ass. Then the customers amplify that smell by adding the stench of Mountain Dew sweat and Hot Pockets pouring out of their skin.

The last time I opened the doors of a Gamestop (around 6 months ago), I was blown back by the smell, turned back around, and got back into my car while trying to get the funk out of my nostrils.

I would rather deal with the smell of livestock butchering than Gamestop.

Gozer

Armored Scrum Object
My most bizarre retail experience happened at a Gamestop.

I went to a Gamestop to put $5 down on a copy of Final Fantasy 10 months before release. Release day arrives and I go to pick it up after work.

Me: I'd like to pick up my preorder for Final Fantasy 10.

Clerk: Do you have your receipt?

Me: Yep. :hands clerk receipt:

Clerk: I see you only put $5 down for the preorder. Unfortunately we only received a limited amount of copies of Final Fantasy 10 and we can only sell those copies to those who had put down more then the minimum.

Me: Seriously?

Clerk: Yeah. Sorry.

Me: I'd like to pick up my preorder now please.

Clerk: I can't give it to you.

Me: :Places two $20 and a $5 on the counter: I'd like to pick up my preorder now.

Clerk: You can't pick it up today. You can pick it up after we get another shipment in. We can call you.

Me: .............. :Pushes money towards clerk:

Clerk: FINE! :Hands over a copy:

Such a terrible transaction.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Another thing I know they do and may have been the reason the OP got a call on something they didn't pre order, is when someone puts 10 dollars or more the clerk can pad his "pre order quota" by splitting the money between two games.

The Manager at my local GS used to be a corporate golden boy because of his impressive pre order numbers. After he left for another store I heard from the employees that he used to cancel out the 2nd game and shift the money back to what the customer came to buy when the game finally released.

Cheeky

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Fun story, at the Gamestop I used to frequent before it closed (had a few ppl I became friends with over time there), they used to let me take game stands home if someone didn't have dibs. One guy tho just didn't get along with me. I had my name on the Metroid Prime Corruption standee and the day I knew I could take it, I went down and it was gone. The guy gave it to one of his friends that same day.

So on that shift for another employee, I preordered 13 ganes I didnt want. Then I came back on a day I knew he was working and bought a game using preorder money. Boy were his jimmies rustled. Guy fucking flipped out, asked if there was any other way I could pay. Told him just ring it up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
There was a cute girl at the one I used to go to but the one she worked out of closed down. It was like 6 blocks from another one.

I only go there if I want the game day 1, which is rare. I just use Amazon now.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
Gamestop can go suck a big one. I care less about their crappy retail policies and more about how willing they are to strip materials from game titles to be tossed in the trash to save space. Fron a game collector perspective, that's blasphamy.

Managed to save a complete copy of Metal Slug GBA fron the heap just by being in the right store at the right time.

I worked for them recently. After being told of all the things they trash in order to "save space". I almost had a heart attack. Also, if anyone took home manuals that were to be trashed, they were told that they would be fired.

As for the OP's question. I've not had that happen, nor have I heard of it happening. However, that company is so mismanaged that it's not surprising.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
There was a cute girl at the one I used to go to but the one she worked out of closed down. It was like 6 blocks from another one.

I only go there if I want the game day 1, which is rare. I just use Amazon now.

Ohhh man! Did you mack her?

I'd be like, "Hey baby I'm an EX+++Alpha male, but I can't talk about video games in a way that would make the most hardcore neck beard question their hobby and kill themselves. Let's go out".

I don't remember the last time I was in a gamestop.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I worked for them recently. After being told of all the things they trash in order to "save space". I almost had a heart attack. Also, if anyone took home manuals that were to be trashed, they were told that they would be fired.

As for the OP's question. I've not had that happen, nor have I heard of it happening. However, that company is so mismanaged that it's not surprising.

I heard they stripped down all PS2 games into just the disc and a shit sleeve and tossed the cases and manuals. Pretty sad.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Fun story, at the Gamestop I used to frequent before it closed (had a few ppl I became friends with over time there), they used to let me take game stands home if someone didn't have dibs. One guy tho just didn't get along with me. I had my name on the Metroid Prime Corruption standee and the day I knew I could take it, I went down and it was gone. The guy gave it to one of his friends that same day.

So on that shift for another employee, I preordered 13 ganes I didnt want. Then I came back on a day I knew he was working and bought a game using preorder money. Boy were his jimmies rustled. Guy fucking flipped out, asked if there was any other way I could pay. Told him just ring it up.

I worked for them for 13 years. I started when it was Funco and rode the wave as long as I could physically stand it. I had a guy who hated an employee of mine so much that he purposely did this till I had no choice but to fire the employee. It was awful cause the kid was good, but at the time, my hands were tied.

Easily one of the worst places to ever work for. I still shop at one because a very good friend of mine runs a store, and I support his sales. If he ever lost his gig his family would be fucked, so if my preorders help then so be it.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I don't know a lot about game stop so I'll ask. Do the people working get something because you pre order?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My most bizarre retail experience happened at a Gamestop.

I went to a Gamestop to put $5 down on a copy of Final Fantasy 10 months before release. Release day arrives and I go to pick it up after work.

Me: I'd like to pick up my preorder for Final Fantasy 10.

Clerk: Do you have your receipt?

Me: Yep. :hands clerk receipt:

Clerk: I see you only put $5 down for the preorder. Unfortunately we only received a limited amount of copies of Final Fantasy 10 and we can only sell those copies to those who had put down more then the minimum.

Me: Seriously?

Clerk: Yeah. Sorry.

Me: I'd like to pick up my preorder now please.

Clerk: I can't give it to you.

Me: :Places two $20 and a $5 on the counter: I'd like to pick up my preorder now.

Clerk: You can't pick it up today. You can pick it up after we get another shipment in. We can call you.

Me: .............. :Pushes money towards clerk:

Clerk: FINE! :Hands over a copy:

Such a terrible transaction.

:lolz:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

So did that mean that the guy got -13 preorders towards his quota on that transaction?

Phyeir

So did that mean that the guy got -13 preorders towards his quota on that transaction?

Yup. And one of the other guys had 13+.

Never did anything like that again (just little one or twos here for legit reasons). But that guy was a prick to everyone in that store. Walked all over the manager cuz he was a pushover.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Seriously at its worst they required me to not only beat my previous years sales for that week by 20%, but also have 15% of my sales be reservations and 10% be the premium rewards cards. They also wanted over 90% of sales to have at least the free rewards card attached, and have at least 3 items per transaction. We also had to sell a minimum of 50 protection plans a week. I was written up if we failed to meet the goals, as we're the employees. I have never had my job threatened more then I did in te last 5 years that I worked there....to the point that I was having severe panic attacks at work.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Okay, well I understand that. I had no idea that was what was going on.

Aside from that being rather awful, I can't see how they expect it to be possible.

I guess though it is kind of a thing to ensure turnover in employees so you never end up having long term people making too much money.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Okay, well I understand that. I had no idea that was what was going on.

Aside from that being rather awful, I can't see how they expect it to be possible.

I guess though it is kind of a thing to ensure turnover in employees so you never end up having long term people making too much money.

That was towards the end of my career with them...it wasn't always that bad. When they merged with Funco it started as 10% reserve and 5% sub with an expected 5% over comp. I managed to do it for years and even when they increased it to the crazy numbers I did it for over two years. I went through part time staff left and right, but my main core of guys were pretty solid. Eventually I hit 40k which is double the amount a starting manager makes so they forced me out by putting me in a store in the middle of the ghetto.

I always enjoy reading how people fuck over GameStop, but at it's core I know that it's causing people who were in a similar predicament to myself to get fired...and that ruins it....

Phyeir

I always enjoy reading how people fuck over GameStop, but at it's core I know that it's causing people who were in a similar predicament to myself to get fired...and that ruins it....

Sounds like everyone is pretty much doomed to failure though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't believe people still go to gamestop, lol.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like everyone is pretty much doomed to failure though.

This is why most managers now are 18-22 years old and not 25+. Cheaper labor, someone to blame, and inexperience to negotiate.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Damn DZ, I used to be a retail monkey and those numbers are insane.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Gamestops around me are hit and miss. The last time I preordered something was the LOZ skyward sword first print w the CD, Xenoblade Chronicles, and the Circle Pad Pro for 3DS. All were games or editions I knew would be harder to find, so I preordered and got what I wanted, though I had to wait 2 more weeks for the CPP due to the store not ordering for all of their preorders.

I don't particularly enjoy GameStop, and hate ordering anything used online online if you're into condition or CIB, then your hopes will be dashed. I got a bunch of games on a sale once and the boxes (all replacement) were smashed and two of the games were unplayable due to scratches sustained during shipment. Also, they were shipped in a bubble envelope, not a box. 6 games in a bubble envelope. Fuckers probably said " hope this goes well yolo" before they sent it out.