Extra Life 2014 - 24 consoles, 24 hours - Help me with my list

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Hey guys, some of you might remember last year my Extra Life charity stream were I played nonstop arcade brawlers for 25 hours straight. With all the donations I received, (and the NG community came up huge), we raised over $800!

This year, my goal is to get to $1000, and to get there I came up with a new crazy idea.

24 hours, 24 consoles, no emulators.

I will be playing games from a new console, every hour on the hour, all day long, and streaming it all live on twitch. There are several things I like about this:

1. Technical challenge - minimizing transistion time with A/V equipment, and in some cases modifying my consoles to output the necessary signals.
2. An excuse to buy games/consoles I don't own - it's for a good cause am i right!?
3. It's an idea that I hope will making people tune in and donate.

So, I'm still in early stages of planning, and I just need some advice. I need to decide exactly what consoles I will be playing. Here is my list so far:

1. Atari 2600
  2. Odyssey 2
  3. Intellivision
  4. Colecovision
  5. Atari 5200
  6. NES
  7. Master System
  8. Atari 7800
  9. Turbo Grafx-16
  10. Genesis
  11. Neo Geo AES
  12. SNES
  13. CD-i
  14. Jaguar
  15. 3DO
  16. Neo Geo CD
  17. Saturn
  18. Playstation
  19. Nintendo 64
  20. Dreamcast
  21. PS2
  22. Xbox
  23. Gamecube
  24. Xbox 360
  25. PS3
  26. Wii
  27. Wii U
  28. PS4
  29. Xbox One

Which ones should I cut? I do not own an AES, and frankly I dont think I can swing purchasing one for this event.

P.S. I will be updating this thread a lot before the actual event on October 25th, but you are all free to donate whenever you want :)
www.extra-life.org/participant/capaneus

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'd cut the O2, Intellivison, 5200, CDi... Hell, I'd consider changing it to 12 consoles in 24 hours and cut a lot more than that, actually.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I like the idea to cut some of the older consoles, especially if the focus is on brawlers. Give some extra attention to the consoles that had a lot of the classic arcade ports. Love the idea, make sure to post a link so we can watch/donate when this goes down.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Is this for a charity?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sure I can give you a list of my favorites in the genre for each console, but I don't think that's going to help you draw money.

So my question for you is this...

Catheter or commode?

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
I like the idea to cut some of the older consoles, especially if the focus is on brawlers. Give some extra attention to the consoles that had a lot of the classic arcade ports. Love the idea, make sure to post a link so we can watch/donate when this goes down.
Sorry for the confusion, the arcade brawlers were from last year: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj4c_luXXbMKFbfhd6hmD7bf6IhWzQHz6

Is this for a charity?
Yup! Extra Life is an annual charity for the Children's Miracle Network. I'm playing for my local hospital, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, but when you donate you can specify any hospital in the Children's Miracle Network.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
There will be very short bio breaks :)

If you're doing "Let's Plays" with credit feeding, distraction won't be an issue. Go for adult diapers and just have someone change you.

Seriously though, good luck in your pursuits. It sounds like it's for a good cause.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I agree with Jibba. I'd rather spend more time with better (more notable, at least) consoles. If I had to pare your list down to 12 consoles, I'd pick:

1. Atari 2600
2. NES
3. Turbo Grafx-16
4. Genesis (you could dedicate a portion of the Genesis time slot to the Master System, perhaps using the Power Base Converter so it's still Genesis at heart)
5. SNES
6. Neo Geo CD (if an AES/CMVS is unavailable)
7. Saturn
8. Playstation
9. Nintendo 64 (you could drop this one for the GameCube or another newer console)
10. Dreamcast
11. PS2
12. Wii

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
I hear yah guys, I just like the idea of 24 hours, 24 consoles. It's got a nice ring to it, and admittedly it's kind of crazy on purpose. I want to get a lot of viewers to get a lot of donations. It's also fun to see the less popular consoles like Jaguar, 3DO, or the Master System, especially the bad games on those systems.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Atari 2600
Odyssey 2
Intellivision
Colecovision
Atari 5200

Those will be very hard to game on for an hour unless you will be doing multiplayer. Some, well almost all, of those old games get really old really fast.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im only in again if you do another teaser trailer.

Last edited:

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Atari 2600
Odyssey 2
Intellivision
Colecovision
Atari 5200

Those will be very hard to game on for an hour unless you will be doing multiplayer. Some, well almost all, of those old games get really old really fast.
Yeah, for the older systems, I'm planning on switching games a lot more. So far the O2 and 5200 are most likely to get cut.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I can chip in a good chunk your $1000 goal if you play Stadium Events for nes with the powerpad for the entire 25 hours.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I can chip in a good chunk your $1000 goal if you play Stadium Events for nes with the powerpad for the entire 25 hours.

i'll add to that pot if you play it on the family fun fitness mat.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Why would anyone watch anything after a) the N64 generation and/or b) arcade ports?

Definitely play Nightstalker, Frog Bog, and Tron Deadly Discs for the Intellivision.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'd say take off the consoles that were made before the NES. I also suggest taking off the cdi. For fighters, the dreamcast is a must.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
If you're adamant about having 24 consoles, then I'd recommend cutting the O2, 5200, and the current generation systems: Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
OK guys, here's how I'm leaning:

1. Atari 2600
  2. Intellivision
  3. Colecovision
  4. NES
  5. Master System
  6. Turbo Grafx-16
  7. Genesis
  8. SNES
  9. Jaguar
  10. 3DO
  11. Neo Geo CD
  12. Saturn
  13. Playstation
  14. Nintendo 64
  15. Dreamcast
  16. PS2
  17. Xbox
  18. Gamecube
  19. Xbox 360
  20. PS3
  21. Wii
  22. Wii U
  23. PS4
  24. Xbox One

Cut the AES because I don't have one, and I can't afford one. Also cut the Odyssey 2, 5200, and 7800 since they weren't popular consoles, and the CD-i since it's pretty shite.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I would cut neo cd all together, factor in the loading time you'll be only playing for 30 minutes

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I would cut neo cd all together, factor in the loading time you'll be only playing for 30 minutes

Yeah but otherwise there aren't any Neo Geo games in the show since he doesn't have an AES. Unless he has some compilation disks on the PS2. Metal Slug X had a pretty decent port on the PS1.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Looks like it's finally time to get off my ass and finish that supergun I've been meaning to build. That way I can just use my MVS carts.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Looks like it's finally time to get off my ass and finish that supergun I've been meaning to build. That way I can just use my MVS carts.

If you have a cab, why can't you just use that? Are you using a capture device for everything? Might be a nice break to have some live footage of you playing a cab instead...