Turboexpress LCD mod

leonk

Marked Wolf
I mean nothing is going to be perfect with this mod, or the LCD's that we choose. When McWill designs an Express LCD, it's going to look GOOD.. damn good and sharp.

However, I've installed an LCD from the link I posted and it's working great! I have to upload a pic to show. The screen doesn't roll and the image is sharp.

With a 2.5" screen, for sure the picture will be more compressed so you're less likely to notice *any* sort of pixelation.. not that you'll notice much with the 3.5" screen either. But if you want a clean/stock look, keep the 2.5 so you don't have to cut the case.

But where can one find a 2.5" LCD screen? Those seem to be as rare as unicorns at this time!

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
you can *find* a 2.5" TFT off ebay for sure.. however, I'm not 100% sure WHICH one lol. Whatever we buy will either be a hit or miss, because it's either going to work with the composite mod or not and have sync issues..

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher

meka

n00b
I did this mod, but I've got faint vertical lines (white), maybe I used a shitty lcd screen

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
i had this mod done by someone on PCEFX forums, and while overall I am happy with it. The screen is kinda blurry. Is this normal? Are all you guys doing a composite connection to these screens or is there a VGA/RGB version of this out there?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
i had this mod done by someone on PCEFX forums, and while overall I am happy with it. The screen is kinda blurry. Is this normal? Are all you guys doing a composite connection to these screens or is there a VGA/RGB version of this out there?

It should not be blurry, the connection is composite.

I've posted several pics of the ones I have done.

Can you post pics?

fluxcore

Another Striker
Just got a TE in need of cap replacement for ~70USD, looking at other mods I can do to it. I have no other PCE system, so tempted by the controller port/AV out... and of course the LCD mod and rechargable batteries! Gah, so much potential!

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
FYI - here is a bezel I made, I can show a picture later of how it looks installed. This is a bezel for a 3.5" screen.

zpu1.jpg

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
That looks great. I hope that bezels like that are one day available to purchase somewhere.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I just did it as a hobby but if there was enough interest I know a print shop that could print and create a punch for the center square which would be perfectly cut. Only problem is there needs to be a higher order it bring the price down.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just did it as a hobby but if there was enough interest I know a print shop that could print and create a punch for the center square which would be perfectly cut. Only problem is there needs to be a higher order it bring the price down.

Well, sign me up if you ever do. I've got the 3.5 screen mod and would love to have the logos back with a bezel like that! Even without a big run, what would the cost be roughly; I'm not too concerned about cost if it means getting a sweet bezel for the bigger screen.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I can ask them, I do a lot of printing with them for work and they do quality work. There is a one time cost to make the punch template I want to say $60 and after that it really reduces the cost.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I can ask them, I do a lot of printing with them for work and they do quality work. There is a one time cost to make the punch template I want to say $60 and after that it really reduces the cost.

Despite the price, I'm still interested :)

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Oh I'd love a template!!! That would make things much cleaner :)

By the way everybody, just incase those of you out there still trying to find an LCD compatible with the express' resolution.. Check this eBay seller out, here's a link:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400906132184

I've bought two LCD's and so far they both work very well!

The eBay seller is: hottestdealever

The title is: 3.5" LCD TFT Color screen Car Monitor DVD DVR for Car Rear View Backup Camera

You'll notice in the description that the display resolution is 480x224.. This is what made me purchase this one and luckily it works!

fluxcore

Another Striker
Bah, the shipping from the US for that panel to me doubles the cost of it :/ Will have to try to find it on aliexpress or something... Undoubtedly it came from china anyway!

fluxcore

Another Striker
What input voltage does that panel run off? Most of the ones I find are 12V only, which possibly isn't suitable?

Are there any identifying features of the panel? Model number etc? I notice the ebay seller has pics of at least 2 different units on that auction, hah!

I'm also a little concerned about input lag on the screens. I presume people aren't noticing anything, otherwise they wouldn't be recommending it?

Genki

n00b
Bah, the shipping from the US for that panel to me doubles the cost of it :/ Will have to try to find it on aliexpress or something... Undoubtedly it came from china anyway!

Just a suggestion, have a trusted person buy it for you then ship it to you. The high shipping could be to eBay's global shipping program which intentionally overcharges international buyers.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Just a suggestion, have a trusted person buy it for you then ship it to you. The high shipping could be to eBay's global shipping program which intentionally overcharges international buyers.
Really? Why would you order these screens from the US if you're in New Zealand? Buy one from a Chinese eBay seller. There are about a hundred with the exact same product.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Really? Why would you order these screens from the US if you're in New Zealand? Buy one from a Chinese eBay seller. There are about a hundred with the exact same product.

Yeah, precisely. US shipping to here is actually some of the worst price-wise, I get far cheaper (and faster) shipping from the UK, which is roughly twice as far away.

As for the screen, I'm having trouble finding the same one elsewhere, you know since the recommended seller has no model numbers, uses pictures which show completely different screens, etc. And finding other ones with the 480x224 res is not so easy - most claim 640x480. Hence my request for more info from the people that actually own the panels.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
480x224 sounds great if it's the real thing. I can't comment on that exact screen, but I just installed this 320x240 screen in a Nomad and it's a huge improvement over the 640x480 type that I used before. It's extremely sharp. I found it recommended on the pcenginefx forum.

Genki

n00b
For those who did LCD mod on TurboExpress, how do you deal with 12v requirement? I checked a few of the suggested LCD from above, all seems to expect 12v source to power it. Did you just feed 5v in it, used a dc-dc converter to go from 5v to 12v, or did you bypass the internal 12v regulator and feed 5v directly?

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
For those who did LCD mod on TurboExpress, how do you deal with 12v requirement? I checked a few of the suggested LCD from above, all seems to expect 12v source to power it. Did you just feed 5v in it, used a dc-dc converter to go from 5v to 12v, or did you bypass the internal 12v regulator and feed 5v directly?

LCD with 12v requirement? All I've seen we're LCD's with 5v requirements. I found a spot on the board that supplied 5v and just tapped it, unsoldered the *red* wire from the LCD as I assumed it was for power and just connected it accordingly (power, ground and composite - some have a white wire and I leave that spot alone)

Where are you finding LCDs needing 12v? Forget about shipping, just get the LCD's we're showing and close your eyes at shipping! Lol, you wanna play you gotta payy