Turboexpress LCD mod

DoctorDan

n00b
I'm not at the moment. With the installation of a new screen, that leaves a bare minimum of surface area around the edge of the cover that is in contact with the plastic of the case. I had briefly considered blocking out the screen area with masking tape and simply spray-painting or using vinyl dye to black out the edging, but I'm not sure if I want to do it that way. Currently, I'm looking for permanent adhesive strips similar in function to the ones that kept the original screen in place.

The issue that presents itself to my mind is that the expansion of the hole for the new screen is completely custom per unit, as everyone cuts it differently. If I did a blackout based on how my screen hole is cut, then it wouldn't necessarily line up with how someone else cut theirs, so I think that I'll leave the blackout procedure to the user.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
If I did a blackout based on how my screen hole is cut, then it wouldn't necessarily line up with how someone else cut theirs

You don't black out the screen cover to how the case is cut.

You cut the case to how the screen cover is blacked out.

DoctorDan

n00b
Screen sizes differ. Cutting techniques vary. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure I want to black out the edge of the screen, period. This was just a one-off project for me, and due to certain circumstances surrounding it, I wound up with many more pieces that I didn't need. Thus, I offered them to the community. The screens are offered as-is - if someone has a brilliant solution to the screen blacking thing, then more power to them, but I've invested as much time and money into this as I care to.

If anyone is interested in purchasing these screen covers, I have 12 left. $10 per screen, plus S/H, which will be USPS Priority, which should come to a grand total of $14.95. Continental US customers only - message me if you'd like one.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Awesome work! I put an LCD in my Nomad and love it. I'd die for the same setup in a Turboexpress.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Post pics of the Turbo express when you have it finished, I'm curios to see how it looks with a completely clear LCD screen cover.

DoctorDan

n00b
Will do. Still waiting on the replacement screen. I have a second, dead Turbo that I can use as a second try on the shell, but the only real gripe I have with how I cut it is that the round hole on the right side got cut into a bit. Once I find a good permanent adhesive tape, that'll get covered by the tape anyway.

leonk

Marked Wolf
I've been debating between the 2.5ish" vs 3.5" lcd screen for my TE and I'm leaning towards the 2.5". I think overall it just looks more stealth and true to original screen (even if it's smaller). Anyone got a good source for these lcd screens? Ebay is flooded only with 3.5" and bigger!

When looking for a replacement LCD, does the screen resolution matter ?
since a majority of TurboGrafx 16 games use 256×239, what replacement LCDs should I search for ?

leonk

Marked Wolf
It doesn't matter because it's not a direct pixel for pixel replacement. You are going to lose a generation in quality because the TE is outputting composite and the replacement lcd is taking it as input. Even though it won't be as sharp or clean as potential direct replacement, the quality of the new screen is significantly better than stock.

Elder

NEST Puppet
This is freaking awesome. I would love to get my hands on one of these one day. Great job with the mod. Not sure how I missed this thread before.

DoctorDan

n00b
It doesn't matter because it's not a direct pixel for pixel replacement. You are going to lose a generation in quality because the TE is outputting composite and the replacement lcd is taking it as input. Even though it won't be as sharp or clean as potential direct replacement, the quality of the new screen is significantly better than stock.

Quite frankly, the ideal would be to find a 3.5" LCD that is capable of using analog RGB and lifting (and amplifying) the RGB generated by the Huc6260, but all my searches for such a screen have turned up goose-egg.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Quite frankly, the ideal would be to find a 3.5" LCD that is capable of using analog RGB and lifting (and amplifying) the RGB generated by the Huc6260, but all my searches for such a screen have turned up goose-egg.

I don't think there is such a screen.

The closest is the psones lcd screen, it's rgb but much larger.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Will do. Still waiting on the replacement screen. I have a second, dead Turbo that I can use as a second try on the shell, but the only real gripe I have with how I cut it is that the round hole on the right side got cut into a bit. Once I find a good permanent adhesive tape, that'll get covered by the tape anyway.

Did you ever finish the turbo express?

I'm curious to see how the screen covers turned out.

mungrin

Panko KING,
anyone ever try playing Neutopia on the Express? Good luck reading the password lol. Anyways this is amazing because at the time the TG Express had the most amazing screen id ever seen.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I've ran Into the same issue with the screen rolling slowly and vertically :/

Do I really have to buy a few more units and hope at least one of them works???

I used a 6.8k resist on 33, and a 68 ohm resist on comp out from the transistor.. So far the picture is perfect except for the scrolling..

Any other ideas??

leonk

Marked Wolf
Not sure who else here is a freak like me when it comes to handheld screen mode. I recently did an Atari Lynx II mod with the new custom made lcd screen. It's very expensive but unlike this mod (which is basically a composite led mod just installed internally to the TGE) the Lynx mod is custom made to fit the system. Direct screw replacement with solder to the old LCD data pins! A custom IC does direct digital video to the panel conversion. Frankly, the quality is mind blowing. I have a nomad lcd mod (which I assume looks as good as the TGE screen) and it looks great but not as amazing as the Lynx.

Maybe we should petition the developer to make a similar kit for the TGE! His next project is for the default game gear which should be out shortly.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Not sure who else here is a freak like me when it comes to handheld screen mode. I recently did an Atari Lynx II mod with the new custom made lcd screen. It's very expensive but unlike this mod (which is basically a composite led mod just installed internally to the TGE) the Lynx mod is custom made to fit the system. Direct screw replacement with solder to the old LCD data pins! A custom IC does direct digital video to the panel conversion. Frankly, the quality is mind blowing. I have a nomad lcd mod (which I assume looks as good as the TGE screen) and it looks great but not as amazing as the Lynx.

Maybe we should petition the developer to make a similar kit for the TGE! His next project is for the default game gear which should be out shortly.
How much was the Lynx LCD kit? Do you have a link? A replacement GG screen would be a god-send, so I'm definitely interested in that too.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
How much was the Lynx LCD kit? Do you have a link? A replacement GG screen would be a god-send, so I'm definitely interested in that too.

pm mcwill over at atatriage to get one. price is 95 EUR + 35 EUR shipping:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230579-tv-out-under-the-christmas-tree-2014/page-4#entry3125094

another thread:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233632-lynx-lcd-replacementvga-out-by-mcwill/
there is a lynx 1 kit out now also

you can preorder the game gear screen for the same price as the lynx screen:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233632-lynx-lcd-replacementvga-out-by-mcwill/?p=3235496

Last edited:

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher

I bought three of those a few weeks back lol.. two for Lynx II's, and one for a Lynx I -- So far I've only got two working Lynx's (I and II)... makes me wonder if it'll work with the turbo.. but for the price, I rather keep it for a lynx

however... that IS an EXCELLENT idea to contact the developer for the TGE - McWill is the guy who handles these orders so he would definitely be the first best person to contact!

Last edited:

mivlives

n00b
I also bought two of McWill's LCD mods for the Atari LYNX and they are amazing. The TE\PCEGT would be a perfect candidate for this kind of mod. I did contact McWill already and he did say he is willing to create the mod. I even offered my TE to help him out. So hopefully after he gets the NOMAD mod going, he'll get to work on the TE one.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I also bought two of McWill's LCD mods for the Atari LYNX and they are amazing. The TE\PCEGT would be a perfect candidate for this kind of mod. I did contact McWill already and he did say he is willing to create the mod. I even offered my TE to help him out. So hopefully after he gets the NOMAD mod going, he'll get to work on the TE one.

Awesome!!! Btw, in the meantime I found a good eBay seller with LCD's that are 240p compatible.. Even though most of those TFT LCD's are all the same, this one works well, has a stable sync AND looks much better graphically than the last one I ordered.

Here's the link - the eBay seller is hottestdealerever

So until McWill has a TG Express LCD ready to go, these I recommend --- But the quality of McWill's LCD's..... ugh, beautiful!!! Won't be cheap but it'll be worth EVERY penny

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Awesome!!! Btw, in the meantime I found a good eBay seller with LCD's that are 240p compatible.. Even though most of those TFT LCD's are all the same, this one works well, has a stable sync AND looks much better graphically than the last one I ordered.

Here's the link - the eBay seller is hottestdealerever

So until McWill has a TG Express LCD ready to go, these I recommend --- But the quality of McWill's LCD's..... ugh, beautiful!!! Won't be cheap but it'll be worth EVERY penny
Isn't 480x234 stretched or is that a typo? Now that you mention resolution. If the original TurboExpress had a 400x270 screen, aren't we losing some definition with these replacements? I have a 2.5" in mine and the quality is definitely much better, but I'm going to be putting a 3.5" TFT (320x240) in soon and this is something I've been pondering. I guess it doesn't really matter if there isn't a perfect option anyways.

Last edited:

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I mean nothing is going to be perfect with this mod, or the LCD's that we choose. When McWill designs an Express LCD, it's going to look GOOD.. damn good and sharp.

However, I've installed an LCD from the link I posted and it's working great! I have to upload a pic to show. The screen doesn't roll and the image is sharp.

With a 2.5" screen, for sure the picture will be more compressed so you're less likely to notice *any* sort of pixelation.. not that you'll notice much with the 3.5" screen either. But if you want a clean/stock look, keep the 2.5 so you don't have to cut the case.