Turboexpress LCD mod

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
so almost 4 hours with everdrive, not too bad. I think i might do the 2.5" mod so I don't have to chop up the screen cover

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks good dude. Only thing I'd do differently is put NEC and TurboExpress on the bottom for that stock upgrade feel.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
so almost 4 hours with everdrive, not too bad. I think i might do the 2.5" mod so I don't have to chop up the screen cover

You don't chop up the actual stock screen cover, it's the case that has to be cut in order to make room for the extra real estate from the larger LCD.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Looks good dude. Only thing I'd do differently is put NEC and TurboExpress on the bottom for that stock upgrade feel.

I wish I could do that, I would have to source out the screen covers and have them stamped with the logos on them.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Sorry for not replying to everyone in one post, I'm on my cell and it makes it difficult.

I have TurboDuo controller connectors on order and I'll be attempting to install the external controller port, also over the weekend I was experimenting with composite video out to a TV.

I had some issues with my first Turboexpress displaying a picture on my Sony WEGA trinitron tube, but the recent one I got it to work just fine.

I will probably use the bottom link 3.5mm connector for the A/V out port.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Would be just awesome if you guys have the time to post a kinda detailed step by step demo how to do the mod... i would take my time and do it if only i knew how. :)

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Anybody here try modding a game gear? The turbo express looks great!

I am in the process of it right now. I just can't find a screen that will "work" with the game gear. By that I mean I have ordered 4 screens and none of them want to work with the gamegeasr or my nomad lol.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Would be just awesome if you guys have the time to post a kinda detailed step by step demo how to do the mod... i would take my time and do it if only i knew how. :)

file.php

THIS IS THE HU6280 CHIP
index.php

Add a second transistor for AV out from the stereo jack.

You have to cut the front case in order to make room for the new LCD, you also have to make your own screen cover.

You may also need diodes on 4 points of the controller board, 2, 3 4 and 5, cut the traces. I usually cut the traces below the ribbon connector and solder to the ribbon connector and to the controller PCB with the diodes in between.

Push a piece of resistor wire in the stereo jack to turn it into a 4 pole connector, that will carry composite.

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I am in the process of it right now. I just can't find a screen that will "work" with the game gear. By that I mean I have ordered 4 screens and none of them want to work with the gamegeasr or my nomad lol.

These are the ones I use. They're amazing quality for the price, the fit both the Nomad and the GG perfectly, and I've always received them really quickly.

m.ebay.com/itm/251584933137?txnId=1574972001015

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
These are the ones I use. They're amazing quality for the price, the fit both the Nomad and the GG perfectly, and I've always received them really quickly.

Funny thing if in the end I ordered that screen and it worked hahahah. And yeah they had very quick shipping

DoctorDan

n00b
Question: I have this screen here, and while I get excellent crispness, the picture slowly rolls. I'm jacking the power from the fuse, but I'm wondering if this means that the sync getting pulled from the chip isn't quite on. I did have to do a voltage division on the proposed 6.3kΩ resistor, as it is not a standard value (as far as I could find), but a 6.8kΩ divided by an 82kΩ resistor gives me 6.27, which I think is close enough, and shouldn't cause that...to the best of my knowledge. I'm pulling the +5V directly off of the regulator, but if anyone could give me some clear direction, that'd be very helpful.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
nice! that 3.5 screen looks badass on the express. that would be perfect for my express!!!!! hopefully I can get this done by tax season

DoctorDan

n00b
I'm actually having custom clear acrylic screen covers made for my upgraded Turbo, since the stock on is only useful for the stock screen, and it's the same price to have 15 made as it is to have the one. If anyone is interested, I'll post pics when they get in, and since I'll have approximately 13 extra (one for the Turbo, one for backup), I'd be willing to sell the additional ones to people if they like.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Great there goes price of the handhelds

I haven't been able to get one for a decent price for a while now.

It seems that even Turboexpresses that need a cap job are going for around $140

Last edited:

leonk

Marked Wolf

These are the screens I use on nomad. Excellent quality and they don't that horrible AV overlay when they start up. But be careful with the ribbon cable! It's as thin and sensitive as tissue paper! I lost 2 due to rips until I came up with a good handling technique.

DoctorDan

n00b
I got the new screen covers in:

IMG_20150130_135711_925.jpg
IMG_20150130_135722_146.jpg
IMG_20150130_135735_328.jpg

I'm actually pretty impressed at the quality. They drop right in to TE's screen well, and they are made of 1.5mm scratch-resistant clear acrylic, just like the original. They lack the NEC and TurboExpress logos, of course, but I still think they look great.