Awesome SS Kubikiri Basara statue

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was just checking out the work of some random artists on DeviantArt and came across this:

Basara_Kubikiri_by_chemreac.jpg

The Japanese sculptor goes by the handle "chemreac", and he's got several other awesome video game statues on his Deviantart page (I particularly like the Breath of Fire 2 ones), so check it out if you'd like to see more:

http://chemreac.deviantart.com/

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Really nice sculpt, half-assed paint job.

@M

20 Year Member
??? The paint work looks very solid to me. The colors are well applied and it looks like airbrushed shadows and paint washes were also utilized to create depth--nothing about it strikes me as being half-assed, in fact, I 'd say it's a very professional-looking job.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think it's the lighting that makes it not look as shiny as the others in the photo gallery.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Some really nice work in there, the guy is really good. Great poses and lots of variation too. The Strider Hiryu, wolf thing and many more, look sweet.

Have you considered doing bigger (as in size) stuff like this M?

@M

20 Year Member
@Divale28: I have made some larger pieces in the past, but, generally, I prefer to work on a smaller scale, for several reasons, one of which is that they're a lot easier for me to store/display (I've got literally 400+ of my sculptures lying around and stashed in every conceivable nook and cranny, not to mention huge video game and action figure/doll collections, so, I don't have a lot of room to spare). You'll probably see me on an episode of hoarders someday. :D

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
@Divale28: I have made some larger pieces in the past, but, generally, I prefer to work on a smaller scale, for several reasons, one of which is that they're a lot easier for me to store/display (I've got literally 400+ of my sculptures lying around and stashed in every conceivable nook and cranny, not to mention huge video game and action figure/doll collections, so, I don't have a lot of room to spare). You'll probably see me on an episode of hoarders someday. :D

Oh man those are seriously awesome, always wondered what the result would be if you were given more space to work with. So good O_O

Lack of space or not you should definitely make some more so you get to go all out like that more often. Oh and do share some pics of you collections when you have time :D

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
What's all that gibberish text at the bottom? A list of figures?

@M

20 Year Member
No, it's not a list of figures, for some reason Angelfire puts all that gibberish at the bottom of all of my recently published web pages these days (I've tried translating it with Google Translate, which identifies it as Chinese, but I can't make heads or tails out of it). My best guess is that, because I use Japanese kanji/hiragana/katakana characters pretty frequently on my web site, Angelfire thinks I'm operating out of Asia or something and is trying to tailor their advertising to that, but, for whatever reason, it isn't working properly.

I know it looks terrible, but I've gotten so used to it, that I just sort of tune it out. It doesn't negatively affect the functionality of my web site otherwise, and it is a free account, so I probably shouldn't bitch about it.

Last edited:

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
That is pretty awesome, he prolly uses super sculpy, bakes it and paints it. I have some sitting around, but I could barely make a bowling ball

@M

20 Year Member
@greedostick: Yeah, I agree that he probably used polymer clay to make his sculptures.

@Diavle18: Good eye, that is indeed my real metal broadsword. I bought it from a BudK catalog, back when I was still in college, many years ago [I've also got a pair of sai, a katana/wakizashi set (with cool faux snakeskin sheaths), nunchuku, a miniature crossbow (the one-handed, pistol-like variety), a blowgun, shuriken, a "gunblade" knife, a baton that pulls apart into two long knives, and a grappling hook--BudK used to make a lot of money off of me back then]. The broadsword is very similar in design to the one that Arnold Schwarzenegger used in the Conan films, albeit more cheaply made (it was only $20 + shipping, during a sale, believe it or not, although bear in mind that price is from over a decade ago).

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
@Diavle18: Good eye, that is indeed my real metal broadsword. I bought it from a BudK catalog, back when I was still in college, many years ago [I've also got a pair of sai, a katana/wakizashi set (with cool faux snakeskin sheaths), nunchuku, a miniature crossbow (the one-handed, pistol-like variety), a blowgun, shuriken, a "gunblade" knife, a baton that pulls apart into two long knives, and a grappling hook--BudK used to make a lot of money off of me back then]. The broadsword is very similar in design to the one that Arnold Schwarzenegger used in the Conan films, albeit more cheaply made (it was only $20 + shipping, during a sale, believe it or not, although bear in mind that price is from over a decade ago).

Damn, sounds like you have yourself an entire armory there lol.