Which PC-ENGINE variation is the best?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
For work or for play, I go briefcase all day...

9C83086A-D01F-4425-A972-9CBECA4E6574_zpsn7menvdo.jpg
This! Super CD rom system card is really all you need, the arcade games are ok but there are very few and most have better ports on other systems. Plus I love how it looks like a space station very unique looking setup and when friends come over they always ask what the hell is that. :keke:

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Duo R, an everdrive, and a pack of JVC Taiyo Yuden silver cdrs...and you'll be good to go.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Does anyone around here offer duo recapping service? I could do it myself...but I'm lazy.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
The one that's RGB modded.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think there's a lot of great gaming to be had with hucards. I've owned like 3 turbografx systems (the original shitty US version).

Now, I want that white one. Not the ugly coregrafx.

Is there anything wrong with the original one?

For your ref, badass games that are on the hucards:

Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
(I like the Soldier series if you couldn't tell)
Blazing Lazers
Bonks
Demon Crush
Alien Crush
Street Fighter II (my favorite port of the game)

I like the CD games, but besides Castlevania, I think I'm fine with playing them on emulators for the time being.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Now, I want that white one. Not the ugly coregrafx.

Is there anything wrong with the original one?

Yeah, the original PC Engine only had a RF output. You need a Tennokoe Bank for composite. Adding a RGB port to the system would be even better.

Check out Broken's system, it's freaking rad.
IMG_0776%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0779%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I wanted to buy a modded Duo-R from eBay, seeing as how the seller refurbishes and does RGB/S-Video/region mods. AND they're cheaper than the plain jane Duo-R's being sold on eBay. They seem to only be available when I don't have the cash for one... :scratch: Maybe after the holidays I'll pick one up.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I wanted to buy a modded Duo-R from eBay, seeing as how the seller refurbishes and does RGB/S-Video/region mods. AND they're cheaper than the plain jane Duo-R's being sold on eBay. They seem to only be available when I don't have the cash for one... :scratch: Maybe after the holidays I'll pick one up.

Mind naming this person? I'd like to see whenever he gets a new one since I may be in the market after all this PC engine love

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah, the original PC Engine only had a RF output. You need a Tennokoe Bank for composite. Adding a RGB port to the system would be even better.

Check out Broken's system, it's freaking rad.
IMG_0776%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0779%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

ok ... who will do all this for me?

I'm all about aesthetics.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Mind naming this person? I'd like to see whenever he gets a new one since I may be in the market after all this PC engine love

Most likely Doujindance. Mine came from him years ago. Mine doesn't have the region mod, not that I care, as the US cards are a waste of money. Bonk III hucard.....lol. Bought my PC Kid 3 for 20 shipped.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Most likely Doujindance. Mine came from him years ago. Mine doesn't have the region mod, not that I care, as the US cards are a waste of money. Bonk III hucard.....lol. Bought my PC Kid 3 for 20 shipped.

Yep! That's who I was talking about. I've heard a lot of good things about his work.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Yep! That's who I was talking about. I've heard a lot of good things about his work.

Last time I've checked doujindance refused to do this mod for PC Engine/Coregrafx/Coregrafx II saying that there wasn't enough room inside the system for it. I'm not sure if he changed his mind since then, email him, I'd say it worth a shot

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Last time I've checked doujindance refused to do this mod for PC Engine/Coregrafx/Coregrafx II saying that there wasn't enough room inside the system for it. I'm not sure if he changed his mind since then, email him, I'd say it worth a shot

Hmmm. I almost said "Screw it" and nearly bought a Coregrafx, but I figured I might as well just wait till I can afford one of his Duo-R's. It'll be a better choice in the long run cause if I buy a Coregrafx, chances are I'd end up kicking myself in the ass when I want to play the CD games later on down the road.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Doujindance uses an outdated amp design. Decent modern amps will easily fit in any model PCE.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
There's a guy on the pcenginefx forums named Keith Courage that sells systems refurbished. Suitcase setups, pce, turbo duo's etc. He reccaps the system, can do a svideo mod, component mod and region free mod if desired. You can also repair or mod your systems. I ordered a suitcase setup from the guy. I've heard him come highly recommended. His prices are very reasonable. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111015136241?nav=SEARCH. Just shoot him an email.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Tennokoe Bank is for keeping multiple save files.

You're right, sorry I meant the AV Booster which looks like a Tennokoe Bank 2 but it has the 3 RCA outputs on the back.

avbooster.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Just got done RGB modding this Duo RX

IMG_5030_zps411b43b0.jpg

IMG_5032_zpse40bff06.jpg

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
There's a guy on the pcenginefx forums named Keith Courage that sells systems refurbished. Suitcase setups, pce, turbo duo's etc. He reccaps the system, can do a svideo mod, component mod and region free mod if desired. You can also repair or mod your systems. I ordered a suitcase setup from the guy. I've heard him come highly recommended. His prices are very reasonable. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111015136241?nav=SEARCH. Just shoot him an email.

Hey thanks! I'll have to check out what he has. :D

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

dude, you're fucking awesome

I'll repost here once I get a white one setup

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

I knew it was possible when I asked him. I've seen tutorials on some french forums years before that even. As Broken said, I guess his RGB amp design is outdated. I don't know if he does this mod now though. I'm sure he received a lot of requests.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
RGB modded White PCE. With room to spare:

IMG_1326.jpg

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Nice! :buttrock:

Is it yours? Any idea where I can get that RGB amp?