The Leftovers - HBO drama series

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Is anyone else watching this? The basic premise of this series is that 4 years prior, an "event" occurred. Over 140 million people all of a sudden "disappeared". The average joe all the way to the Pope, even Gary Busey...vanished into thin air, just like that. No reason, no answers. None of the remaining people have ever had any closure or sense of why and how this occurred. Some believe it is the Rapture, others don't or simply not sure such as Father Matt played by the great Christopher Eccleston, who is the town preacher who decides to delve into the backround of some of those who were "taken" and he finds that many of them sinned, were not of pure good, so he himself is conflicted between not being one of the ones taken because he so much believed in his faith. That and his wife who fell into a comatose state because she witnessed the disappearances while driving, going into shock and crashing, hitting her head into the steering wheel.

The show deals with the events 4 years later, the remaining people known as the Leftovers, how they deal with their day to day lives, the struggles, the mysteries. There is also the "cult", the Guilty Remnant, who'se sole purpose is to "remind" the Leftovers of the "Event". They dress in complete white clothes, stalk certain characters all over town and smoke cigarettes constantly because according to them, they know what's coming, so traditional means of watching your health means absolutely nothing. None of the townspeople like the GR, they are always fighting with them. They don't speak, all of their answers are written on paper.

Very dark, dreary, depressed settings but the acting is superb. The music is also excellent. The show is written by the creator of Lost, Damon Lindelof, and it does share some of the mysterious elements from Lost. The opening montage is really well made too:

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I've been watching it. So far it's been pretty good. The last two episodes have definitely been the best so far, and I feel have started explaining some of the things going on. Very curious to see where this show goes.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've been watching it. So far it's been pretty good. The last two episodes have definitely been the best so far, and I feel have started explaining some of the things going on. Very curious to see where this show goes.

Absolutely agree. Last night's episode was unbelievable. When the woman in the car with the baby on her cellphone stopped by Laurie's car, I knew we were going to see the entire "event". The last 5 minutes was surreal, you knew what was going to happen by seeing it occur was eerie. Then with Laurie's baby and the ultrasound, her reaction after she heard the screams in the other room, then looking at the ultrasound image with nothing there....My jaw dropped! These last 2 episodes but also the character driven episodes that focus on a certain character have been remarkable. This episode was needed, it answered I'd say about 95% of the questions people had beforehand and for those who kept saying "none of this makes any sense".

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm surprised no one started a topic on this show sooner. I've been watching it since the 1st episode. It's gradually been getting better & better and is one of my fav shows on TV at the moment(next to Black Jesus of course).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
we did start one earlier.

i'm still not sure where this show is going. Some storylines are interesting, but this whole thing with the black man is kinda dumb.